1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He's playing better. I won't consider him turning the corner until I see that inside game improve. Until I see him taking it coast to coast and putting someone on a poster instead of missing a weak layup.

These things should happen, and quickly, in my opinion.

amaru and kdchilds like this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

He is strong in a lot of areas and I hope he keeps it up. For what you're asking for I think may take like 2 years or more. He is very weak around the basket. I bet he eventually fixes it though.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. PeppermintCandy

One of my favorite things from the Atlanta game was during a missed free throw near the end of the game. I loved the way Smith secured the rebound against the bigger and heavier player.

He often gets pushed around a lot in the paint, even by small but aggressive opponents. This time, he wasn't having any of that.

It was a small and trivial moment, but it was great to see.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Eat ****, Jabari haters.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So now we know you can spin shooting 6-17 as somehow impressive.

Really?

How is 6-17 impressive in any world?

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What is fine?

If it does not sense for Porter it does not make sense for Green who turns it over just as much.

11. Two Sandwiches

I think Green is a better distributor, will learn to turn the ball over less, and a better ISO player, if needed.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The inside game, i mean ive never seen an athletic 6-11 human struggle with laying the ball into an unguarded rim as much as him on super slo mo.

It actually doesn't matter - if he can give a volume 40% from 3 and good switchable defense he's a useful player. Not franchise changing but can also fit with any player or scheme.

13. Two Sandwiches

Oh, for sure I agree. I'm just saying, he can be a bonafide superstar if he plays a more powerful game and can fix this mind-bogglong hole in his game. Granted, it was a concern at Auburn, too.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Where's the spin? He shot way above his norm efficiency level that game, which is great improvement.

What is there more to say.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't think he's going to be the interior presence on offense most hope he will be. Inside the arc, he just needs a hook shot and a turnaround jumper. Sort of like Dirk or Durant, something to punish smaller players with.

Main and most used weapon is always going to be the 3pt shot. He's a unicorn, don't make the mistake of trying hard to make him something he's not and then judging him by how he reacts to that. He could break all time 3pt records, he's not just a regular good 3pt shooter. Instead of working extensively on weaknesses, I'm more interested in raising his 3pt shooting volume to never seen before levels for someone his age. Let's see him take 10 per game at some point.

Combined with his elite defense for his age, his impact on games is going to be crazy good. He'll win you 2 playoff games in a series with his 3pt shot, and the rest of the games you'll have amazing defense and excellent spacing from him. Perfect pairing with Jalen and Sengun. Doesn't clog up the paint, spaces the floor.

I said it during the slump, Jabari is going to break some net impact rookie records this season. He said in his interview he had a lingering ankle issue and he feels as though he's got his legs back under him now. Whether that's true or not, I know that a shooter believing something is effectively the same as it being true.

Progress looking great.

#3695 Mathloom, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  16. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

I think his main weakness is ball handling, much like any pure shooter. Right now he’s giving me Bruce Bowen vibes but we really wanna see kwahi / KD / pg from him. Over the next few years he needs to develop his ball handling big time and his midrange/post up. He would be amazing.

I think part of his at the rim struggles are poor dribbles, he doesn’t trust it in traffic and picks it up super early while going 100 mph at the rim. Also he doesn’t trust himself to dribble into the midrange and make a decision (after attacking the close out). He needs the change in mindset that comes with excellent handles.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  17. i3artow i3aller

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Gawd damn Tari's mom is ruthless, lmao!
    Clowning her own son!

Notice Tari only shadow tapped Bari's head. he isnt crazy lol

glimmertwins and i3artow i3aller like this.
  19. Two Sandwiches

I agree with your second paragraph for sure.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I was going to say former Knick Charles Smith, but that guy was just not very athletic.