1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

They got drafted last year, and Green was drafted ahead of Alpi, so you are probably still right.

Much in life is about being given the opportunity to develop and shine. Silas gives others way more minutes than Alpi.

With a coach that would feature Alpi like Denver decided to feature Jokic - in a year or two, your GM poll might have a different outcome.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Why does moving Alpi to the bench mean you aren’t developing him? To me it means you believe he can anchor a second unit offense while working on his short comings.

We aren’t putting KPJ or Green on the second unit and they are ball dominant, plus KPJ is really the only passable (barely) point guard on the team. On the bench you can run Alpi as point forward and better highlight his skill set.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's a demotion. KPJ is a lot more flawed than Alpi, in ny opinion. Move him to the bench then.

4. studogg

no point guard on the roster and it doesn’t solve your defensive issues. I sure hope Alpi doesn’t have as thin a skin as you do. The rockets are trying to develop multiple young players. Gotta work with the pieces you got.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thin skin just because I think we should bench KPJ rather than Alpi? You disagree, does that make you have thin skin?

Also, the guards are worse defenders than Alpi. Benching Alpi solves no defensive issue whatsoever.

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

@studogg read this post and learn

7. studogg

Thin skin because you are star struck with Alpi and can’t see the flaw in your argument.

I totally agree with you in KPJ and the guards being worse defensively than Sengun. But where is the point guard we can slot in that can run an offense and shore up the defense from a back court perspective?

I would love to move KPJ to another position and the bench. Love it. Maybe next year or even after the trade deadline?

8. studogg

if you’re going to be condescending- post something intelligent

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Idk y everybody Blames only sengun for the defensive issues. Out of the guards I think only green has shown improvement at defense. If sengun could b your offensive hub y can't kpj b benched as a sixth man?

I just find it funny folks want to make sengun sit on the bench citing defensive issue and lack of pg when he's clearly the better playmaker and passer compared to kpj. They also tend to ignore how poor kpj has been at defense.

clutchdabear and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What in that post did you not understand? Maybe @killtaker can explain it even more slowly to you?

I would argue that @killtaker's post I quoted was excellent.

I couldn't have explained it any better. Since we suck anyway, why would a coach worth his salt not try this?

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  11. studogg

We are done. I explained points that are generally accepted and you act condescending pointing to someone else’s post accusing the team of purposefully not developing players. I can educate people willing to learn - it can’t help the arrogant ignorant.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So you have nothing. OK.

I accept your unconditional surrender.

No need to insult @killtaker though, calling his post unintelligent.

Especially when the opposite is true.

13. studogg

I know you are but what am I? Is that what you’re stopping too? Jesus bro

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What killtaker is suggesting would
    • play to our current players' strengths
    • develop them better
    • make the team more fun to watch than the awful "my turn, your turn" iso crap

Moving Sengun to the bench just so that KPJ can play more iso is not "generally accepted". It helps no one (not even KPJ).

The fact that you fail to address @killtaker's post and just call it unintelligent is closed-minded and ignorant.

clutchdabear and Ancient Moabite like this.
  15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Al P doesn’t care about Garuba’s development

Garuba doesn’t care about KMJ’s development

KMJ doesn’t care about Tari’s development

They all know we aren’t competing and want to prove they can play and stay in this league. That’s the problem you are going to have with a very young team.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I should have addressed this with less condescension because I generally like you as a poster.

My response to this was the @killtaker post. I couldn't have explained it better, so I quoted.

Basically, it seems to me that you start from the traditional notion that the starting point guard has to be the main initiator of the offense most of the time.

With our current personnel, I think we would be much better off playing inside out on offense, with Sengun/Garuba in Divac/Webber type roles. Then you need less of a classic point guard and can even play with two shooting guards, which we do anyway. Both Green and KPJ are better in a catch-and-shoot situation than having to orchestrate an offense.

To me, this is better than trying to force one of the two shooting guards (KPJ) to be a point guard, which leads to everyone else standing around like idiots most of the time, little ball movement and ending up near the bottom of the league in assists.

To get back to the topic of the thread, I think this would benefit Jabari also. I'm pretty sure Alpi and even Garuba would get him better passes than KPJ. Jabari needs to be set up.

#3516 AroundTheWorld, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    clutchdabear and killtaker like this.
  17. studogg

And I agree with most of your premise but also recognize the team is trying to develop KPJ - for better or worse. If we had a Pat Beverly on the roster I’d make the KPJ move to the bench post haste. With the team as it’s currently structured- I simply happen to believe we have more balance with Sengun as the center of the offense off the bench.

totally ok for us to disagree on point.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Apologies for the snark. You are a good poster, @studogg.

19. studogg

All good bro. Appreciate your posts as well.

20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly if the coach is too dumb to play through Sengun with the starters he might be better off playing from the bench until a new coach comes in.

He plays extremely well with Tari and KJ cuz they are constantly cutting. I always said he kinda reminds me of Ginobili. Ginobili came off the bench for years even though he coulda have been a starter on every team. If it means he gets more touches the bench might be best for him as much as I hate it.