1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think Smith now either rushes or hesitates on his jump shots which makes him miss badly on a lot of makeable shots. I think eventually i am hoping he just shoot over guys in the mid range like Durant, or Garnett before him. He has the form for it, and the height. there's no reason why he is not automatic eventually.

phasors28 and Easy like this.
  2. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Except that he has zero back to the basket game so he can’t “punish” anyone, he can only embarrass him self by shooting 3s with a short guy in his face bc he can’t get around him.

3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

He’s got that Novitski-like turnaround at the elbow that’s unblockable for one thing, he also finished at the rim a few times. He just needs his confidence to continue to grow, he’s a 19 year old just starting to find his sea legs in the Association.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it is a mistake of Jabari Senior who wanted to mold him into a pure shooter and severely neglected the post game at a kid's age.

I couldn't find shooting numbers from Sandy Creek HS.... but he only made the 2nd team honors.

He wasn't exactly dominating.

5. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The solution to ANY of our problems does not involve taking our most efficient player out of the starting lineup.

6. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Guy is 19...showing some good flashes. Hope he can finds a mentor who can help him become a better player. Silas is Guard oriented coach, so he can't help Jabari.

7. DominantBig

DominantBig Member

With the few pin-down screens and off-ball movement plays we've run for him, he seems much more fluid and confident. He does seem to rush his shot, seemingly worried he won't get another opportunity soon after that. A couple of times I've seen him ignore Jalen in the corner for him to shoot a wing 3, I don't believe it's selfishness, but similar to Sengun with benching, he's thinking he needs to make a play anytime he has the ball in his hands.

I'm hopeful when he's being used more like an off-ball scorer vs a spot up guy, we'll see more flashes.

8. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

he belongs to the bench, along with Sengun. The Goonie squad is the only real deal to watch, so he should become a piece of that. Tari, Bari, Alpi, Garubi, plus whoever can dribble. winner team there.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe his dad's goal wasn't to make him a future star but to ensure a long and productive NBA career. Good 3&D guys are always in demand. Just guessing.

AroundTheWorld and daywalker02 like this.
  10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need a veteran point guard to distribute the ball to Jabari and everyone else correctly and fair. Having a veteran point guard provided Jabari, Sengun and Jalen with easy shot selection.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Mobley is 15-8-2 how is that closer to Okafor and OPJ?

He has better numbers than Tatum did in his 2nd year.

12. MystikArkitect

When will he help our guards?

clutchdabear and CHAMPBOY like this.
  13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I disagree and it's not a knock against Sengun but around fit with the backcourt pairing. We are atrocious defensively with the starting lineup. It's part of the reason we've seen Garuba play closing minutes lately over Sengun. Sengun would also be the focal point of the offense coming of the bench.

14. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

When Jabari settle down in the NBA scene and continue to gain his confidence, he will average 16 to 17 points and 8 rebounds, he will not catch Bancheros for rookie of the year, but he will be in the top 4 rookie voting.

#3494 CHAMPBOY, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

huh? There is no Mobley who is a rookie this year

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Garubi and Rinaldi....

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You don't fit your best player (Alpi) around your flawed ones (KPJ), but the other way around.

Maybe Alpi could teach Bari some post moves, and Bati could teach Alpi 3s and jump shots?

18. studogg

I agree with your premise but I’m not fitting around Bari - I’m fitting around the backcourt.

Sengun is a nice player - he is not our best player. Defensively he has severe flaws. Offensively he has turnover issues. Overall he has foul troubles. Line him up against the second unit and you mask his flaws and let him go to work.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He is our best player. Green is the best pure scorer. Alpi is the best player.

20. studogg

simple question. You are an expansion team GM. You get a pick of anyone on the rockets roster. Who are you taking?

while I’m sure you’ll defend your stance - there’s not a single GM taking alpi. Not one.

jiggyfly and red5rocket like this.