1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

Lol Jabari was billed to be the most NBA ready prospect. Cmon now. We absolutely did draft him to contribute right away, maybe not great but he was supposed to be ready.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The problem with some of you is you get too tangled up in the individual development, the fancy part of a player but turn half a blind eye to the problem at hand that is team play.

They reminded you all over and over again that Jalen knew Jaygup and Scoot from high school or even middle school.

Back to reality, there is not much chemistry on the court, everyone is just looking to achieve scoring numbers, looking for his individual shot.

Where is the sacrifice, the blind connection among these new millennials?

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No, that was Paolo.

They didn't draft him to contribute lol this team is barely trying to compete. That quote from Green earlier in the year proves that. This team is not trying to win games this year.

amaru, whag00 and MystikArkitect like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He was? I’m 100% sure the most NBA ready prospect was Banchero not Jabari. Maybe you mean with his shooting and defense and not his complete game.

He still needed to add weight unlike Banchero. This doesn’t even get into the diversity of Banchero’s offensive game.

amaru, whag00, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

A ton of ppl said he his shooting&D would translate to the league immediately and make him the highest floor out of all top prospects, you can check the threads from back then and what several scouts&media said.

jiggyfly, CantStopJG24 and gumbleton3 like this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't care what people in this thread was saying, scouts and GMs were saying it was Paolo.

You can even check the annual GM survey, 80% of NBA GMs had him winning ROY.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Did you stop reading my post after the first half of the sentence? Again, check scouting reports and media clips from draft time.

There's a difference between ROY(stats) and contributing to winning, and this poll was made in October. Many people said Paolo would put up bigger stats but not contribute to winning as much as someone like Jabari.

8. Spooner

Spooner Member

What else are we hoping for in Jabari's game outside of shooting and defense?

pr0wler likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Show them then, I don't remember any scouting reports that thought Jabari was more NBA ready than Paolo.

I don't see the relevance to the time of the poll unless it was after the season started. Paolo was the most NBA ready and that's why they voted for him as ROY.

Last year, Green was the most NBA ready going into the draft because people thought his G-league experience would play out and turns out he wasn't the most NBA ready, but that's what everyone thought going into that draft.

I remember clearly that Jabari's tools were questioned outside of his shooting and defense, and that Paolo was coming into the NBA as a more complete and ready to go player.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The person I was replying to stated that Jabari was the most NBA ready prospect. Banchero was the most NBA ready without question.

I agree that we were hoping for shooting and defense out of him. The Rockets organization was talking about him like he was ready to come in and be the general of the defense and shoot lights out. His strength and size are clearly not ready for the NBA yet and it makes the organization look kind of dumb for hyping him as much. I think he has a ton of upside on defense with added size and strength, but he's clearly a work in progress.

His shot feels like it should be hitting more often than it is based on watching him shoot. There's a disconnect from the practice floor shooting to the NBA game floor shooting. I think it will turn around eventually.

daywalker02 and pr0wler like this.
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

As much as I **** on Smith for his game ending disaster. I thought he has improved a lot of defense and was actually quite impactful in aspects.

His offense decision making is in the toilet though, it's like everytime he gets the ball he just wants to rush to throw in up. I swear half of the time he's not even aiming

pr0wler and robbie380 like this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I really just need this guy to hit shots.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Let’s try to be honest here, there were multiple travels called during the game and they most definitely were not all on him. We also saw him dribble without traveling multiple times. We all knew the NBA travels more than road-trips and everyone just looked the other way. Now refs finally told to call it more. It absolutely needs work and he’s clearly frustrated and playing like a deer in headlights. I am not making opinions until late into the season though.

15. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Jabari - 29% from 3.

Westbrook- 32% from 3.

amaru and pr0wler like this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's only two worse players to start their NBA careers shooting worse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

daywalker02, Easy and htownrox1 like this.
  17. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

It's early, but I think we all agree he doesn't really have the tools to become a number 1, and probably not even a second option. No strength, poor handles, little to no explosion on offense. Low BBIQ on offense as well. Kinda gets lost in the paint not sure what to do and throws up low percentage shots or travels.

I'm not concerned about his 3-PT percentages, however. He has a great FT shooter and his form looks good, that should translate in time. Rashard Lewis and KD also sucked from 3 their first 1-2 seasons.

But I think he should change course a bit and just focus on being a 3 and D PF in this league. He doesn't have the skills or athleticism to be a legit scoring option, so there isn't really a good reason for him to get a lot of usage in any sort of legit offense. Just have him space the floor, maybe get the occasional play off pick and pops, and that's it. No iso's, attacking "mismatches" or anything that involves a lot of sophistication on offense. He is what he is, a tall guy with decent mobility who could potentially shoot. That's it.

amaru and robbie380 like this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Lonzo improved to 43% in his 5th season. There's hope.

Sweet Lou 4 2, B-Bob and pr0wler like this.
  19. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

It's disconcerting that even the one thing Jabari's supposed to be good at (3pt. shooting) he's also struggling at but I'll just hope that he'll get more comfortable as the year goes on.

Actually Paolo HAS affected winning more than Jabrari...................in an inverse sorta way!
    Since Paolo scored 30 on us in a loss to drop the magic record to 2-9 he's been out injured.
    Their record without him.............3-2!
    2-9 before injured Paolo, 3-2 with Paolo hurt.
    (Hey, gotta' find something to feel better about!)

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Compared to Jabari's record:
    Rockets with Jabari 3-12 (20%)
    Rockets without Jabari 0-1 (0%)
    We just can't win without him. :D

B-Bob likes this.