1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If he hit his shots, he wouldn't look so bad. He needs to gain his shooting confidence. That should be his meal ticket. All other weaknesses can take time to fix. Shooting is what he is supposed to be able to do right off the bat.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah. TBF, turn around is a difficult shot. I saw him being guarded by a much smaller player face up. He could just rise up and shoot and the smaller defender couldn't have done anything to stop him. But he pump faked and try to drive past.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

just about every player has weaknesses, especially a young rookie. teams will start pushing him further out of his comfort zones on both sides of the ball

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

His lack of any sort of athleticism will always hurt him. I don't see a ton of potential. Hopefully he works hard to become the 3/D player we were sold on. But I don't see "a ton of potential".

Yung-T and DaDakota like this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He has the size very few 3&D players have. Most 3&D guys are wing players at the mid-6' range of size. They need wide open shots. Jabari can shoot over people with little separation. He did it in college. If he could only shoot wide open shots in college, he wouldn't have been projected to be the top pick.

Obviously NBA players are bigger and faster. But he can still shoot over most players if only he has the confidence. He looks very timid now. This can be fixed by gaining more experience.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He is going to be fine. He had 16 rebounds the game before this and was being very aggressive. He got some shady calls by the refs in this game and became frustrated. Just like Jalen he needs to add muscle in the off-season. He will gain some confidence later in the year and will be more solid in the rotation next year. People were just as impatient with Jalen as they are now with Jabari. Now Jalen is looking better and better and so will Jabari. Not all the problems are with Silas, but I do believe he slows down the progression of all these players with his lack of discipline and really faulty rotations. I’ve been a big KPJ fan, but I am starting to think the PG experiment is not going to work out, but there really is no solution on the roster right now.

Easy likes this.
  7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I agree. I just think his defensive prowess may be overstated in the NBA game given the difference in athleticism. Maybe he becomes Giannis and bulks up and whatnot, but I'm skeptical of him ever becoming an elite defender like the pre-draft analysis had him pegged as.

I do still expect him to become a knockdown shooter. He needs more opportunities still. Silas certainly is not the coach that is going to maximize him.

Easy and jiggyfly like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If all we get from the number 3 pick is a 3&D guy that is a failure.

You are looking for all star or above players in the top 5....not role players.

The lack of athleticism is striking he is so stiff.....

DD

RasaqBoi and javal_lon like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah i know that but most people on here believed him to be, so I am using that argument to make a point.

I had always considered Banchero as the best guy in this draft.

CantStopJG24 likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I was not adamant with taking him 3rd because of everything that people are worried about now, I was worried going into the draft, but I thought he would at least be a knockdown shooter.

I was advocating at looking at Ivey real hard and did not really look at the sac guy because he had no buzz, but he is the guy that's giving me real pause, especially because we have Tari.

#3110 jiggyfly, Nov 15, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I was blessed with seats like 2 rows up last night. Man, Bari effort on offense is really trash. Him and Tari are night and day.

CantStopJG24 and pippendagimp like this.
  12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah both Ivey and Sharpe were interesting to me, and was worried the team would say "well we already have Jalen, and KPJ" and maybe overlook them. Regardless though, I'm still higher than most on Jabari, and would still take him 3. I've learned from last year when I said I wouldn't have taken Jalen #2 anymore, and would probably consider him a pick from 8 to 12, to not be so harsh in the rookie months from Oct to Feb. Jalen looked like the #2 pick in the draft after March.

Jabari does not look like the #3 pick in a deep draft right now I'll admit... but are the tools still there like they were with Jalen where he looked up to his potential later on... .yeah I think so.... but I still think we won't know who Jabari is going to be until he has offseasons... not gameplay.

AroundTheWorld and jiggyfly like this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

I take 3&D now.

DaDakota likes this.
  14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Silas and the players are content with freezing him. Being the 5th option, I hate to say it but when Fernando gets back it will help Smith by benching Sengun.

dobro1229 likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Keegan Murray was my Paolo Lite in the draft. He's a baller and his contributions would have been immediately felt. Ben Mathurin was another guy I really liked, but had too much overlap with Jalen.

Im just going to pray that Jabari doesnt bust out and can at least be a dependable rotation piece. Not looking good, but he can still at least start making his shots and defending while he develops - two things that most felt would translate immediately and have not.

Yung-T and jiggyfly like this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

sad to hear. it seemed like he has an entitled air of superiority about him, like he really thinks he should be Tha Man right now. and like u said, tari is just the opposite he scratches and claws every possession like it's his last game

17. i3artow i3aller

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have left out Mathurin he is a guy that could play 2-3. here and would fit alongside Green and KPJ.

Yung-T and dobro1229 like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WOW!

Are you really going to risk the wrath of the Alpi worshipers?

I don't really se how this makes a difference for Smith he just needs to start hitting shots.

#3119 jiggyfly, Nov 15, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Smith will be fine. I think he will ultimately end up being a center/pf. He will fit fine next to AL P as a starter and then eat up the rest of the center minutes.

I dont see him picking up much of a perimeter game but he is young so who knows.

Shooting efficiency will come. He needs to work on a hook as he gains strength.