1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

One thing I was going to worry about with Paolo was just having too many guys trying to be THE guy.

Looks liek Jabari isn't about that, seems he has more of a Mobley/Duncan mindset where he realizes his flowers will come only if the team is good and he wants to do whatever it takes to get the team there. Love that.

Paolo and Green and KPJ might have eventually started fighting for touches. I hope that we will have a frontcourt for years that are so unselfish team first guys and yeah, Jalen is an underrated team first guy, were many times we felt like ht was being too unselfish and deferring to Wood and Tate.

But I love the mentality he has and I love how he will fit in with this team.

Also going to play small ball center a lot I imagine.

Hui, Fullcourt, Drift Monkey and 9 others like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL

Can Sengun teach Jabari how to be so happppppy? ;)

Drift Monkey, Nook, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is actually a good question.

They are almost the same prospect in that they are bigs with defensive versatility that need to work on their offense except that Mobley's defense was more of a sure thing while Jabari's shot is more of a sure thing. I'd say Jabari might actually be the better prospect because offense > defense in the NBA and his offense is already ahead of Mobley's where Mobley's shot is still a question mark and his ability to put it on the floor is as well but obviously Mobley looks like a lock for a perennial all-league defender.

So while they didn't draft Mobley they drafted a great prospect to pair with Green.

Had we drafted Mobley then we would have been picking Ivey here but I feel like Green >>> Ivey as a guard prospect while Mobley-Jabari are about a wash as prospects.

So basically, would rather have Jabari/Green over Mobley/Ivey, obviously, time can prove me wrong.

Drift Monkey and tmoney1101 like this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We're going to find out one day that Stone was playing some 4d chess here.

Hyped up Paolo all month, then rumors about us trading up that we wanted him so bad, maybe it faked Orlando out about him. "Wait, why do they want this guy so bad?"

Maybe they over thought it.

Ok, maybe this didn't happen from the Rockets side but the Magic definitely over thought this decision if it really did come down to the last day.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Jabari himself is incredible on defense. I think I saw something @J.R. posting that he should at least be minimum all-defensive consideration

7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Who the hell are the 14 guys that said no in the poll?

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I wouldn't be surprised. I wasn't knocking his defense, more praising Mobley's defense.

It should be stated that Jabari wasn't the main rim protector for his team (That was Kessler) and so he could surprise some there whereas Mobley was the main rim protector for his college team.

As for the handling aspect, some people are way too hard on him. If Giannis and Kawhi can improve their playmaking abilities through hard work then so can Jabari. He's no stiff. Super excited about the pick.

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Oh Boy

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I’m all hype that Jabari can be a world class defender. He does seem to be better in the perimeter than Mobley. But overall Mobley was MUCH more generational a defense prospect imo cause he’s so much better protecting the interior while also being a very solid perimeter defender.

again I like Jabari better in the perimeter and think he’s good enough on the interior for sure to be a top of league defender. But I’m not sure if quite Mobley level as you noted.

Jabari much much better shooter.

#290 JayZ750, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Right, basically (if they both hit their ideal ceiling or close to it), Mobley might collect a few DPOYs while Jabari might slip onto a few all-NBA defensive teams.

But Jabari's offense is so much further along than Mobley's because of that shooting touch.

12. marinara

marinara Member

So excited to see Smith/Sengun front court. For all that was debated about Paolos defensive abilities in the last few weeks on here, im sure we can all agree in that sense at the very least the fit might be even better for team balance.

noppeper and i3artow i3aller like this.
  13. elrond

elrond Member

Dunno much about draft/collge bball, but if you guys are hyped, then I'm hyped! Good thing about picking #3, no real choice in the matter, so don't have to worry about screwing up the pick :D

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think Green would have let KPJ and Paolo do what ever they wanted. I think Paolo would have been fighting with KPJ to get him the ball.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Mbappe's wife better watch out. Taylor Rooks has that homewrecker look to her.

16. omgTHEpotential

If anything he was probably more pissed at Orlando.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I couldn't agree more strongly.

I posted a video on bis defence early in the thread.
    He keeps his stance low and hips square and stays in the slide. Little doubt he can guard the perimeter effectively.

His only weakness is his creation off the dribble. Really good chance he can work on that and become more natural. If he does, we have a bigger Jason Tatum!

i3artow i3aller and zeeshan2 like this.
  18. marinara

marinara Member

Has Anyone asked the most important Question?

what number is he going to have 10 is EGs..

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  19. marinara

marinara Member

Plus the slight $$$$ difference going from 1-3

20. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

JSJ has to always have good Career games against the magic, everytime we play them just no way you can let that go make them realized they **** up not taking you for the rest of your career.