1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If Jabari was on a contender he would probably be fighting for any playing time, this is not to say he is a bust, just the fact he has not shown much to be in the rotation for a contender.

How is Paolo not more NBA ready that Jabari?

His multi faceted offensive game shows that he is and Jabari has not shown to some defensive wizard and Paolo has been average.

You are projecting a lot on Jabari on a contender when he can't even get off when guarded by kelly olynyk, that has nothing to do with being on a contender.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think it is a Clutch's judgment issue as much as it was a draft about big men, they all looked promising.

Only one or two can make it big.

Holmgren is right now the biggest question mark out there.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I dunno but I think we’ll have better answers to who is or isn’t a cornerstone in the next 2 years before that decision is made. If we still don’t have a for sure star playmaking cornerstone and Jabari is at his floor of just a stretch 4/5 7 footer who can guard well, then it wouldn’t be surprising to see a win now team be willing to part with a lot to get him as a piece that has way more value on a contender than a rebuilder.

Let’s just hope we land or develop a cornerstone playmaker in the next couple seasons. Otherwise the pick could look bad when you had no playmakers, took a stretch big suited for a role player slot on a contender, and there were multiple all star caliber point guards in that draft. Kind of like Detroit taking Luke Kennard over Donovan Mitchell. Like when you are rebuilding and have no playmaking cornerstone, there’s some argument to be made about whether a high floor player is the right pick or if you really should just be using all of your big swings on potential playmakers.

I look at Brandon Ingram too as another interesting case study for Jabari if he’s not really hitting top projections before the Rockets need to make big changes either in trade, or free agency.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why is clutch's judgment so much better than anyone else?

When did he become a scout or an expert on scouting prospects?

5. dobro1229

OMG just move on folks. Ignore the posts if they don’t make sense or a players name gets brought up you have a negative reaction to.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol I wanted to know if you thought Paolo was going to be a mediocre player in 3 years.... that is what happened to Tyreke.

Yung-T likes this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's like asking why people were asking about Theo Maledon after he had like 1 or 2 games after we tragically cut him. Because we are ClutchFans. Home of the REAL GM's!!!

glynch and Verbal Christ like this.
  8. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

It is like comparing Dwight vs Okafor. Paulo > Dwight. Okafor > Jabari, (kidding).

9. dobro1229

No way. He’s just going to look better faster. That’s the only point. There are second round picks in this draft that’ll have longer careers than Evans. I do think Evans could have been a solid player though if he had developed. I think winning the ROTY made him complacent and it’s easy to get passed over when a stronger draft class comes up behind you.

daywalker02 and jiggyfly like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I can't argue that at all, but with Ingram you saw a multi faceted player at Duke.

Anyway I am willing to wait to see how all this plays out but I am not seeing much to get excited about.

He does not need a play making cornerstone to hit open shots, that's supposed to be his biggest strength, and we have yet to see him do it at a high level.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He emphatically was against drafting Sengun, even with our 23/24th picks IIRC

and he opens the podcast as the man who wanted Miner over Horry.

Wanting Smith over Banchero might turn out to be a Bagley over Doncic situation lol

That being said the Mobley over Green is looking like a good call. Our D could sure an Heaven Mobley right about now

#2791 ThatBoyNick, Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    Verbal Christ and jiggyfly like this.
  12. NewAge

NewAge Member

How dare you? The list of Clutch’s visionary picks speaks loud and clear, from Harold Miner, to Stro Swift, to Jordan Bell to Juancho Hernangomez, that’s a Hall of Fame lineup right there

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Evans actually had good enough numbers but he wasn't important anymore - - - - 15 and 5 type of guy.

14. dobro1229

I don’t know why people get so worked up about certain names. It like saying “OMG!! why would you dare compare Blur to the Beatles!!”…

….No I just mentioned that Blur and The Beatles both have ties early in their live music gigs to East London.

Paolo is not Tyreke Evans. Paolo like Evans though will produce faster than many of his draft companions given what they bring to the table early and the team they play on.

Relax….

15. Good Times

Good Times Member

I think clutch is a great guy and knows his basketball but his view of Jabari vs Banchero was way off. I thought of Banchero as the next Chris Webber now while I see Jabari as a better Eddie Griffin now. Similar to Griffin he’ll be a good shot blocker but not a defender due to his size, will be a good rebounder, will knock down 3s but not so much on 2s, will not be able to post up or slash, will not be able to take guys off the dribble or create for others. I’m sure he will improve over time but that’s how I see him today. Banchero was a far more impressive talent from tapes in how he could post up on centers, drive on guards, and shoot the jumper consistently. All I saw of Jabari was his shooting which he hit at 42% overall in college which I thought was not great but considered his greatest strength.

16. dobro1229

Again im talking about the situation. Not comparing every car part to another model. You were talking about what happens in a couple seasons when we gotta make decisions. The Lakers had decisions to make and because BI had some floor value even though he wasn’t fully developed, he was still useful to them to make that pivot in the AD trade. I’m saying all else goes wrong he’s still going to be valuable if the Rockets have a change in direction.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do think Banchero will become more of a scoring point PF.

A much bigger Anfernee Hardaway.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't dispute he is going to be somewhat valuable but even being as valuable as BI is gonna be a stretch at this point.

Anyway I don't want to be a wet blanket but all my biggest fears are being shown so far.

Only thing left is him being a diva, which I have seen minimal signs of yet.

dobro1229 likes this.
  19. dobro1229

Im usually the wet blanket so I’m happy to let someone else wear that badge for the day.

Im more worried about the options down the road for the Rockets to pivot to if Jalen, Jabari, and co. prove to be non cornerstone players worth building around. I don’t love our options the next few years to pivot to if it’s necessary.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Evans was the best rookie of his class. Comparing two players does not mean they are identical in every aspect. Sometimes some past player is mentioned to illustrate a point. In this case, the point is that being the best rookie of his class does not guarantee superstardom in the future. He could have mentioned MCW and made the same point.