1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

I think the issue with KPJ is he reminds us of all the negatives associated with Harden and doesn’t live up to the positives of Harden. You’ve got a PG trying to be Harden whom isn’t. Frankly, I think most of us were hoping to turn the page on that type of basketball. Is it fair to put it all on KPJ? No. Unfortunately for him it’s just the timing and the situation he came into.

DatRocketFan and cheke64 like this.
  2. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Bari has been advertised as awo way player...but unfortunaly he is very limited offensively. His defense is also meh. Hope that he doesn't give up and keep developing his skills, otherwise it's gonna be quite tough to keep him in starting 5.

PeterKingX likes this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Jabari has gotten plenty of wide open looks. He just isn't shooting well enough.

It's on Silas to design better plays for easier shots, which we all know he is not capable of.

PeterKingX and ksny15 like this.
  4. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Jabari Parker might turn it around, but the more games of him not showing up diminishes his chance of being a franchise player by a few percentage. His floor is 2 years away from a 2 way role player.

Very disappointing rookie season right now. I don't even care about his shooting (or lack of right now).

He can't drive, he has no handles, he can barely pass. Bricking jumper (hopefully will hit soon) and playing decent defense seems to be his role right now.

PeterKingX likes this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

His footwork on defense is very good. Just like I was favoring patience with Green last year Jabari will need the same patience this year, especially when the offense isn’t set up to get him quality shots

DatRocketFan and thedude077 like this.
  6. thedude077

thedude077 Member

By mid season we'll see the player he will become. Not now, he's still trying to figure out the NBA game.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  7. bcast89

bcast89 Member

I know it’s early but so far, I’m disappointed in his development. Defense is shaky at times and shot has been more off than on. Looking like a role player at best. Hope he proves me wrong…

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  8. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

Very disappointing

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Jabari looks like he's never played basketball when he's not shooting a pull up jumper.

PeterKingX and ilovehtownbb like this.
  10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He’s disappointing so far, but it’s way too early to draw any conclusions. But, yeah, not looking great right now.

LeDakota and ilovehtownbb like this.
  11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

We have played less than 10 games. Some of you have the IQ of my pet rock.

clutchdabear likes this.
  12. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

Look at every draft, there’s always that one player in the top 5 that completely looks awful. The Bagley’s, the Patrick Williams. I hope Jabari isn’t that guy but man… it’s not looking good.

13. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Repeat after me... LESS THAN TEN GAMES. Now keep repeating that until you realize how foolish it is to be jumping to conclusions so quickly.

clutchdabear and Little Bit like this.
  14. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

at this point of his career, i think it would be better if he's used like victory cigar rather than a starter. Like Darko Milicic, the finest cigar. If he learns some basketball, give him more time, lol.

15. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

No one is saying he is a bust already. Most people just think he has looked terrible thus far and are a little worried.

jiggyfly and bcast89 like this.
  16. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

Ironically you’re the one jumping to conclusions. All I said that he’s looking bad and hopefully he’s not the standout player in the draft that looks out of place.

bcast89, Downtown Sniper and LeDakota like this.
  17. chenjy9

Supporting Member

LESS THAN TEN GAMES

18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Look at the post right above yours.

19. Chucky_Brown

Chucky_Brown Member

Just my two cents: Jabari’s a teenaged string-bean getting pushed around in every game and by almost every player (even Reggie Jackson today). And it’s both worn him down physically and caught him by surprise mentally, so much so that his whole game has been rattled.

I wish he were a more explosive athlete, and I wish his on-the-ball defense looked tighter. But his lack of strength is a bigger weakness than I think anyone realized it would be at first, and offers a plausible explanation for the struggles.

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

He needs to hit the weights hard, but that will come with time. He will have games that make you go "wow" and games where he shows that he is a rookie.