1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Half of CF going from "he's the most NBA ready guy out of the top 3, you don't understand basketball if you don't see how his shooting&defense will translate to the NBA"
    to "he's the youngest guy in the draft, what did ya expect?".

jiggyfly, JayZ750, mario_v and 5 others like this.
  2. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

He looks less NBA ready than Shaedon Sharpe who took a year off and last played in HS. It’s really concerning. I actually like his shot. He’s rushing because he barely touches the ball so he is eager to shoot when he does. That will change with time and experience. However, his defense isn’t as advertised, he’s soft around the rim and he can’t dribble at all. That’s very very concerning.

JayZ750, snowconeman22 and Yung-T like this.
  3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I believe Jabari is a great player but many draft experts believe Jabari would develop better with Orlando, Detroit or OKC because they have legit point guards. They said Rockets would hurt his development because of the point guard issue and coaching. He is a gym rat and I believe in coach Lucas so we have a chance to get back on track with a mid season trade for a point guard

4. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

What are people's worst and best case projections of Jabari?

I'm fairly certain that at the very worst, he is a solid starter. He has length, should be an above average defender and shoot the 3 ball well but I think his ceiling is very limited. At pick 3, you should be swinging for a franchise player.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Worst case: Rashard Lewis
    Best case: Rashard Lewis with D and clutch as Horry

6. PatBev

PatBev Member

Jabari just needs to focus on defense, rebounding, 3pt, and not smoking ****ing layups and easy dunks

I don’t want to see one mid range until at least his sophomore year. KPJ should not have more rebounds than our 6’11 top 3 pick

Have a lot of faith in him but he needs to chill on some of that dribbling and shot selection

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's a very bold statement.

8. Rockets4Life13

I wanted Paolo Banchero but I'm still good with Jabari because I'm sure he will work out hust fine.

Also anyone notice how "the most NBA ready players" go to Houston just to look clueless in game while still showing flashes at times.

Might be a coaching issue.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yes, and oh so serious...

Easy likes this.
  10. MystikArkitect

Jabari has a ton of work to do. Sometimes I forget he's on the floor. Almost every game I ask myself "wheres Jabari" and have to look for him. His finishing at the rim is....really bad. It might be worse than his dribble which is also really bad. His defense has been...alright. Worse than advertised now that he's guarding actual NBA players. His shot hasn't been falling but I'm not even going to blame him for that because it's so hard for him to actually get the ball in a good spot due to our...interesting...guard play. I also wonder how possible it even is for these players to get a rhythm going in a game with Silas' rotations. He'll play Jabari for like...2-3 minutes and then pull him for Garuba who then plays a minute and gets pulled for Tari.

11. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that he had the lowest at-the-rim field goal percentage of any lottery pick over the past 10 years should have been a clue that he had a lot of growing ahead of him. Jackson Gatlin also noted that his rebounding technique is poor - he doesn't box out properly.

As I said in another thread, I feel he would do the best in a system where he will consistently get the ball in certain spots, and that just isn't going to happen so long as Silas is coach and KPJ is the PG. So I worry that this team will utterly wreck his confidence and that will result in him being a guy who plays a little D (vs a defensive monster) and hits the occasional 3 (vs being a top notch sniper). The closest comparison I can think of would be a less composed Robert Horry, and that isn't going to elevate this team as much as a top 3 pick should.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This isn't really something you can "grow out of". He is not an explosive player. He's not a fluid athlete. He's never going to be a guy you can trust to efficiently score at the rim.

Putting on muscle will help in the rebounding department but again, he's not going to be a plus rebounder because of his physical limitations.

pippendagimp likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jabari is shooting just 31% from 2, and just 56% right at the rim…both of these are absolutely horrible

he doesn’t get any easy shots inside the 3 point line…I can’t remember a single instance of him getting a pass for an easy layup or dunk so far this season…if it has happened, it’s been extremely rare

Believe It! likes this.
  14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

It feels like many of our problems can be solved if we had a proper point guard like Haliburton.

Kings are so dumb to give him up for Sabonis.

spankz141 likes this.
  15. Denovo

Denovo Member

He shot poorly at the rim at Auburn too.

He’s pretty much just a wing and elbow shooter.

Very limited offensively.

Yung-T and LeDakota like this.
  16. spankz141

spankz141 Member

With the transition to the NBA, I think Jabri may need a pass first PG. Obviously, KPJ is not pass first.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He literally had an alley oop a couple night ago he blew. Last night he had at least one near wide open dunk he blew.

It’s strange…

I’ve seen people on twitter say things like you don’t know Jabari if you think he’s in his head or it’s a confidence issue.

but he’s 10,000% in his head and it’s a confidence issue.

the other stuff matters. That being coaching, system, pg play, his overall bulk, adjusting to the nba 3 pt line, his dribbling (which to me is actually been better than expected)

but mental is a huge component here.

18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I was fine with the JG pick last year, but honestly there were times in the first half of the season that I questioned that pk. After the ASB that all changed pretty quickly. I'm going to wait til then to question.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, but even limited bigs still get some dump off passes for easy layups or dunks now and then…I don’t see much of that for Jabari

he’s only getting 50% of his made twos assisted which is pretty damn low for a 6’11 rookie big that isn’t a creator

Denovo likes this.
  20. maj21

maj21 Member

Can’t we stop blaming KPJ?! Seriously, Jabari has blown easy looks at the rim and open 3s. A lot of em set up by KPJ