1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So GS never won anything?

2. xaos

xaos Member

Who has tunnel vision on GSW? That team's offense built on ball movement, body movement, and 3 point shooting. I think you're just arguing with anyone and everyone that you must've thought I implied you need a traditional point gaurd to win.

Believe It! and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Steph Curry?

Or do you think he is setting up the team?

Yes its built on movement but he is in there to score and he is a pg.

If he played in this system he would be doing the same as KPJ, better than KPJ but about the same, did you watch him before Kerr got the job?

Verbal Christ likes this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

What are you attempting to accomplish here? If you're trying to say Silas is to blame then just say it. I would agree that Silas deserves blame especially since he preaches motion and ball movement. Only excuse would be if it was understood that was a part of KPJs development and he wanted KPJ to have a scorers-only mentality that game as a way to collect data on his scoring upside and work on his game - I doubt that was the case. If that was not the case then KPJ deserves blame too. It was his worst game since Wood was traded, not stat-wise but from a team concept. That was in no way shape or form winning basketball.

Other than that...
    • Curry does not have tunnel vision and it's embarrassing that I have to bullet point that out
    • Curry is an elite passer
    • Everyone is a threat when Curry is on the floor - whether he has the ball or not. He has gravity.
    • Curry makes quick decisions
    • Warriors had a motion offense with Jackson too. In fact he set a good foundation for how that team works and Kerr sharpened it
    • Are we really comparing Curry to KPJ at ANY capacity? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you mean styles and which styles could win which to that... they play very very very very very very different styles. Kind of helps that Curry is the greatest shooter of all time too. Wait... you are comparing exclusively styles, right? Even that doesn't make sense for arguments sake...

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The Silas 5 out system is doing exactly what its supposed to except that Silas doesnt have it manned properly and unfortunately there is no Lebron, Luka or Steph to save the day.

You need an all star type guy that can penetrate and then surround him with snipers. If you have 2 guys that can go create even better. When Sengun is doing his thing it morphs into a bastardized 4-1, but the problem still remains. Not enough good shooting yet. This is not a motion offense by any stretch of the imagination. Its guard attack 3&D Rocketball that MDA created and most of the league copied.

Curry enjoys ELITE level shooting around him. He can expect all of his teammates to hit open shots that he creates for them. Nobody tried to make that comparison and its just lazy eval to blurt out "how dare you" without taking the time to read up on the context. It started by guys claiming that you need a pass first point guard. Steph Curry is not a pass first point guard EVER. He's there to stress the defense with his own absurd shooting and then press them with drives opening up the other guys. They just include a sht ton of movement that keeps defenses guessing and on their heels.

cmoak1982, Denovo and jiggyfly like this.
  6. xaos

xaos Member

Who is this directed to?

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

It is thrust into the ether so that everyone that jumped the shark can understand that at no point in time - EVER ... EVER EVER EVER .. has KPJ been compared to Steph Curry. Some guys just took that initial "pass first" thought and when I mentioned that GSW enjoys winning rings with a score first lead guard it became a comp. It was not.

Denovo, Dobbizzle and jiggyfly like this.
  8. xaos

xaos Member

I see

Well just to clarify my post had nothing do to with any of your comments so if you do feel like it was an attack on anything you said it was not. I haven't been keeping up with the thread entirely. I was directly responding to jiggly who quoted me and brought up GSW when I was critical of tunnel vision for one game.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Not at all, but I think in the heat of debate sometimes the original thought gets drowned out by added data and input. Steph is phenomenal in picking his spots and knows when to score and when to pass it around. KPJ doesnt have those instincts yet, and maybe never will, but coming up short in a comp with Steph Curry who will go down as one of the best players ever is not a slight to anyone.

When KPJ can trust his guys the same way that Steph trusts his core then things should look better in particular when passing to guys who keep bricking shots - it doesnt happen in 4 games.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Top NBA Rookie Ladder Performances to Start 2022-2023 — 1. Paolo Banchero; 2. Bennedict Mathurin; 3. Jabari Smith Jr.; 4. Jalen Duren; 5. Jaden Ivey

3. Jabari Smith Jr., Houston Rockets
    Stat line: 21 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, vs. Utah Oct. 24

Notes: The No. 3 pick from the Class of 2022 had an especially efficient night, hitting six of his 10 shots overall and two of three 3-pointers. Big improvement over his 6-of-17 debut that has weighed down his field goal percentage (35.7%). He has started each game for the Rockets, averaging 15.3 ppg, 7.0 rpg and 1.3 apg, with a double-double at Milwaukee on Oct. 22.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

It's early, but the 22 draft class looks much stronger than the 2021 class. I think that's the case in the aggregate (more players already looking like ready to go contributors) and definitely on the top-end.

robbie380 likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't understand why you have such an issue with me when I was saying the same thing as VC?

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...the 21 draft class all played the previous season when the Covid scare hit - that is a big difference. I would say very few of them if any had a full pre-NBA season and some(particularly those in the G League) were impacted even more substantially. Since the G-League doesn't make a lot of money like college hoops teams, half the teams cancelled the season and the remaining teams played a truncated round robin season.

16. xaos

xaos Member

Maybe you were thinking what VC was typing, but I was critical of KPJ having tunnel vision last game and somehow you compared it to GSW which I didn't have a clue how tunnel vision turned into GSW. Perhaps that's on me for not following the 121 page thread which I now see after VC's comment GSW has been brought up or perhaps it's on you for taking a comment I made and lumping it in with whatever alternate argument is going on.

17. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

I sense Dwight Howard theatrics from this dude. Nickname of this dude will be "the Diva" after this season :p

(may we have NFT's for our posts so that we can sell when it is realized, please?)

18. xaos

xaos Member

For what it's worth I do think KPJ could be an all star level player someday but it will take quicker decision making which I do think can be coached and learned overtime.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This is 5 out with a faux pg that's ballhogger and a blackhole with the court vision of J.R Smith.

Please don't insult other NBA teams.

pippendagimp likes this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Based on?