1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

It’s none of that actually. Why not just let him find his groove naturally throughout the course of the game? He’s not passing them up when he gets them anyway and he needs more? If a dude is not going to make shots and the game is getting away then it’s time for others to keep it close. That’s just the nature of the beast when competing. Game days should be about developing winning habits even if you aren’t a championship contender. Get all those extra shots up during practice and when he starts hitting them in games especially the wide open shots that should be automatic he will be looked for even more.

jiggyfly and roslolian like this.
  2. xaos

xaos Member

Smith with 25 + tonight

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Glad you aren’t the coach. We’d only have veterans on the court and everyone worried that if they miss a few shots they are getting yanked. God forbid we stick to the principles of 5 out ball and the spacing created.

please continue with your wise insights. I’m sure someone enjoys them.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You’re welcome! Glad I could help!

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. xaos

xaos Member

Close

Would've had 30 if KPJ didn't go full iso mode

6. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Green and Smith are such a great combo. You couldn’t design two players who better complement each other.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

What if people thought Jabari was Rashard Lewis with defense but he was actually a superstar version of Draymond Green? And it was also on a night when every other big we had couldnt buy a bucket.

raining threes likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

KPJ did ok as well was extremely relentless going to the hoop he had 9 ftas and made all of them. He is overshadowed by Green's greatness but also played a really good game.

But Jalen Green is something else I think you can now make legit discussions if he will surpass the Beard considering he is already this good in just his 2nd year.

Ancient Moabite and xaos like this.
  10. eman

eman Contributing Member

Enjoyed the scrap Tari and Usman brought. Bowling pins all over the court!

11. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah Green is on the path to being capable of leading the league in scoring for years if he keeps his head on right - which he has so far

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  12. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Fiery, mature, excellent defender and shooter…literally the perfect player to complement Green and KPJ (if the latter would only look for him in the corners more).

Jabari icing the game with free throws against the Jazz proves that he has that closer mentality, and he’s not even 20 yet!

I think we got the right guy, guys

13. xaos

xaos Member

Yup!!

raining threes and Roomba like this.
  14. xaos

xaos Member

The funny thing is I remember the board getting ugly at each other debating Mobley vs Green, but the reality is Green needs a player like Mobley and Mobley needs a player like Green. Getting Smith to pair with Green really gives me a huge amount of hope and confidence that we won't have a hard time rounding out our roster in effort to build a championship team.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

While I agree to a certain degree, it really depends on how you look at it. As a scorer, he did good tonight. Shot was meh, but he was very aggressive and got to the line where he shot great from. Now, if we were looking at this from a playmaker perspective, he was trash as PG. I strongly believe he is better off developing as a 2-way wing in the 6th man role. The problem is that outside of Sengun, we have no one who can pass with any sort of consistency. He might not be good at it, but sadly he is also the best we got right now.

raining threes and xaos like this.
  17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

It's good to see Jalen pretty much forgetting about the spat with Jabari. Just good competitive spirit.

18. xaos

xaos Member

That is the one and only way I am looking at it considering he was clearly our starting point gaurd today. I didn't mind when he got the rebound and pushed it for an aggressive shot, but there has never been a team that has won anything when their point gaurd has tunnel vision. If Silas told him to go out and get 50 then it's on Silas 100%, but I sincerely believe KPJ had one mission and that was to drop 50 on the Jazz. KPJ will never be the primary scorer of a winning team. He's valuable because he can score, pass, etc.

By doing what he did today he will play himself into 6th man scoring spark plug (at best) as opposed to versatile starting SF who can score and set people up

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Need more aggressive moves to the rim like that from Jabari. Love the two handed jam off the pass.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Need some plays ran for him. Like Fontecchio.