1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Green and Smith need to be your 1-2 punch. But you can see already there is confusion. Jabari might be capable of being #1 option for the rockets. This might be
    his team if he wants it to be. It all depends he could of been #1 pick in the best draft class.

Everyone knows that green is not consistent at times, so is this a concern if Green continues to have nights like this. 16 points? He is the best player on the floor? Or will Jabari be. I say both can be, but porter looks like he can score. Either way all three could put up big numbers. But hawks held them all down

coachbadlee likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I chuckle at the naivete of certain bystanders.

He has to be in this league and shoot for years to become really elite at the next level.

Now he is only a good college level shooter.

Hakeemtheking and NewAge like this.
  3. NewAge

NewAge Member

Boy, I’ve been saying the top of this year’s draft is better than the super overhyped 2021 draft, and what a Day 1 they had!
    Jabari was quite OK, but look at the lines of Banchero, Ivey, Mathurin! Keegan Murray was out with Covid, and he may be the best of them all (best player, not necessarily the best prospect, as he’s a bit older).

when all is said and done top of this year’s draft will have a lot more stars than last year’s

Corrosion likes this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They will figure it out. I dont expect them to really start playing right until one or two weeks before Allstar break. Then.....

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

KPJ isnt a pg and will never be a pg. However you dont necessarily need a point guard. Even this game people missed wide open shots Jabari 3/11, EG 1/4, Jalen 1/7, Matthews 0/2, JC 0/2. A point guard wont make these players convert their shots all he can really do is get these guys wide open which is what they already are.

DaDakota likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Huh? How is 2021 overhyped? Cade, Green, Mobley, Franz, Barnes overall still better than top guys of 2022. 2022 is deeper though IMO and you got guys like Tari Eason, Jalen Duren and Nikola Jovic who slipped but are primed to blow up.

7. NewAge

NewAge Member

Banchero > Cade
    Green > Chet
    Jabari > Mobley
    Murray > Barnes
    Ivey > Suggs

‘22 wins 4-1 on ‘21. That’s how I see things ending up.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Suggs is a bust he is like the Darko Milicic of the class. Franz Wagner is the one in the top 5. Plus why are you ranking players pick vs pick like it means something?

1. Cade
    2. Banchero
    3. Mobley
    4. Green
    5. Barnes
    6. Ivey
    7. Jabari
    8. Wagner
    9. Murray
    10. Chet

If you combined all these players and did a redraft thats how this draft would go RN. Murray over Barnes? Lol Barnes is the ROY and a year younger than Murray.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What is a modern day PG?

Who do you consider a pg on any of the top teams?

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Right now the best player is KPJ - he needs to form a triumvirate with Jabari and Jalen.

DD

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

We are 2 games into this season and you are saying who is better than who?

How is Jabari better than Mobley?

12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

LOL

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  13. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I think some at least try to toe the line.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Huh? A point guard to me is someone who either sets up the offense or is the offense. I never said modern day pg I was talking about a pg, period.

KPJ is growing into a 2 way scorer but he is not good at setting others up and he also isnt good enough to be the offensive engine of the team. In a perfect world he's be the SG similar to Ivey on the Pistons. But like I said not every team needs to have a point guard as long as the ball is getting passed and people can make open shots we can make do with what we have.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Huh? indeed.

I forgot you define stuff to fit a narrative.

Anyway, i'm ejecting early.

16. xaos

xaos Member

Lmfaooooo

pippendagimp and i3artow i3aller like this.
  17. conquistador#11

I'm willing to give it a chance. But even as Green fan, I cringed at him putting up 20 shots, 39 in all from the back court. It was like an amped up Cuttino/Francis but at least KPJ was making his and both did well defensively. Post ups can successfully bring some cohesion to the frenzy from our backcourt when they are forced to play half court. But this would require staggering minutes. Someone last season made a comment that Silas uses substitutions like a Hockey Line change. Never forgot that comment. It's so true.
    I guess I'm not used to the back court taking 58% of the starter's Fgs. I also hated shotgun offenses in the nfl and I've come around on them. So who knows.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. NewAge

NewAge Member

OK. So I was specifically talking about the top of drafts, picks 1-5
    The entirety of the drafts is a different story. For example, I may sound like a total homer, but I can totally see a scenario where Tari Eason is the best player from both drafts.
    Here’s my ranked list, if you prefer it this way:
    1. Jabari (‘22): two-way player with elite length; excellent defender with simplistic but potentially lethal offense. Super bright, positive, competitive attitude.
    2. Banchero (‘22): creative and potent offensive player with great size. question marks on D.
    3. Murray (‘22): excellent all-around player. Maybe the best of the 10 right now. Upside may be limited due to age.
    4. Barnes (‘21): excellent all-around player, great attitude. Offense as rookie was better than advertised, but still not elite.
    5. Mobley (‘21): excellent all-around skills and supreme length. Lacks any flash or oomph.
    6. Ivey (‘22): supreme strength and athletism. Figured out the game in sophomore year.
    7. Green (‘21): insane talent, with some question marks on mental toughness. Too much Hollywood/Instagram. Based on strong pre-seаson this spot may prove wrong very soon and climb up to the top.
    8. Cade (‘21) excellent playmaker, lacks size and athletism. Potential to get figured out by the NBA at some point and not having much to get onto the next level.
    9. Suggs (‘21) never impressed me as an elite prospect, very poor start of career. Started to figure things out, will probably be a solid player, but not worthy of a top 5 pick.
    10. Chet (‘22) Screaming bust potential. Body does not look like physically/mechanically suitable for rigors of pro basketball. weird McLovin vibe of a personality.

These are my rankings FWIW. Like most predictions may prove to be completely wrong…

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Like the defense from Jabari tonight; had 3 blocks. Shooting will come and go; he’s not afraid to shoot it and you have to remember he still needs some conditioning after not getting that in the preseason games. Needs to get more boards though

Believe It! likes this.
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

theres no beating around the bush. That was a horrendous game from Jabari. The game is going too fast for him right now. It’s not a statement on his athleticism or bball abilities…. It was going too fast for JG last year too, to start.

but he has to be better IF they want to mix in some wins. And he has to be better…. to be better. That’s why he was picked 3rd and not 18th or whatever. It can take time but has to show up here and there and then with some consistency eventually.

It would help if they could get him easy looks. Hit him in a fast break. A pick and roll at the rim bucket. But he has to hit OPEN shots at a better clip. And get more physical.

I’m not anointing him the sure thing yet that’s for sure.

#2180 JayZ750, Oct 22, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
    jiggyfly and AroundTheWorld like this.