1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-17] Tari Eason, F, LSU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Tari Eason?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

99.1%
  2. NO

0.9%
  1. kpdark

kpdark Member

could see him playing power forward for Ime

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I love Tari.

You know who also had A LOT more offensive rebounds than all these guys?
    • Alperen Sengun 242
    • Tari Eason 195
    • Evan Mobley 187
    • Bam Adebayo 184
    • Nikola Jokic 167
    • Brook Lopez 157
    Sengun was 5th in the entire NBA in offensive rebounds.

NewAge, cdastros, cml750 and 2 others like this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Tari ain’t a big, makes it more impressive

Ren ason likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He's 6'8 - according to a lot of you guys, Sengun is also 6'8 ;).

cml750 likes this.
  5. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Ok? Who cares? Man... even in an Eason thread, you want to make things about Sengun.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Tari is my favourite player on the team, on par with Alpi.

But when we point out that one of our guys is tops in offensive rebounds, fair game to point out that another one is, too.

Tari is 17th in the NBA in total offensive rebounds, Alpi is 5th.

Two things - our guards and Jabari being brickaholics probably helped pad the offensive rebounding stats - and, as much as I love Tari, it feels like half his offensive rebounds came after his own missed layups lol.

cml750 and Caesar like this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Y'all are arguing total offensive rebound numbers now? Comedy. :D

Zen Tabak likes this.
  8. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I am not. I just find it sad that ATW feels the need to somehow bring Alpi into almost every thread he participates in. It's like LoFs all over again. A SF getting that many o-boards though really is impressive no matter how someone might try to spin it.

xaos likes this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nobody doubted that it's impressive. You are the one misinterpreting things that way.

It's great that we had two guys who were excellent at offensive rebounding. BTW, Jabari and Usman Garuba were in the top 50 as well, with 122 and 120 offensive rebounds, respectively. So to some extent, it might also have been the system - instead of focusing on getting back, they were all meant to grab the offensive rebounds to create second chance points.

10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

LOL... OK, bro

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

Tari is easily one of my favorite Rockets in such a long time. He has to start. He's just a winning player and i do think there's room there for all star growth.

Who was it that comp'd him to a young Dennis Rodman? Lucas or Murphy? Anyway, he's got bits of a young dennis who a young college Pippen was comp'd to which a young Kawhi had some comps with. Kawhi's work ethic to become such an efficient knock down shooter and money mid range game is unrealistic expectation. Ime was there for that transformation though. Pop had him studying 2nd 3 peat MJ iirc.

larry cook and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It was John Lucas.

Caesar likes this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

It'll be fun to see where Tari and Bari will fit - at PF or SF or if it even matters anymore since it's just...not necessarily position less as people call it, but in reality more of just Forwards and Guards on the floor together.

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

Rookie PER 36 comps within relatively similar height and weight:
    Tari Eason: 15.5ppg 10.1rpg(4oreb), 1.8apg, 2spg, 1bpg. If his efficiency was higher, i would think he was strictly a traditional PF. If he can up the efficiency and add PF #s while also stretching the floor and playing versatile defense and his hustle, man, look out.

Dennis Rodman: 15.6ppg, 10.3rpg(5.1oreb), 1.7apg, 1.2spg, 1.5bpg (wild how close Tari and Dennis rookie seasons were except Dennis fouled at a really high clip his early years, and obviously he was just getting high quality put backs for better FG%).

Kawhi Leonard: 11.9ppg, 7.7rpg, 1.6apg, 2spg, 0.6bpg (way more efficient than Tari already as a rookie)

Scottie Pippen: 13.6ppg, 6.5rpg, 3.7apg, 2spg, 1.1bpg (was clearly already a higher level passer than all these guys from the jump. Artest was similar.)

Shawn Marion(my original comp): 14.9ppg, 9.5rpg(3oreb), 2apg, 1.1spg, 1.5bpg (half a season, by 2nd season basically 17 and 11)

MR. MEAN Larry Smith: 11ppg, 13.9rbpg!(6orpg!), 1.3apg, 1spg, 0.9bpg

Junkyard Dog Jerome Williams: 10ppg, 10.2rpg(4.5oreb), 1.4apg, 2.6spg!, 0.2bpg (only 33 games but nearly same the next year in over 70)

Obviously these last 2 are traditional PF's and couldn't stretch the floor, but neither could Dennis. Side note(Buck Williams also popped into my head at 6'8-damn he was an underrated monster, like a mini Moses Malone or something..outscoring and outrebounding all these players from the jump-#3 pick in 81-he was winding down as i got to know of him in the early 90s, but his his goggles and flat top was iconic to me back then haha and the Blazers were stacked).
    Robert Williams also has similar per36 to the players above except with insane block rate.
    It's insane how varied played can be at such a similar height and weight and build.

AroundTheWorld and Rokman like this.
  15. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

Nice but didn’t he miss many of his own layups a few times

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

I should also note that Rodman and Marion started their careers as SF's...i know a lot only remember them as PF's. Junkyard played some SF as well but not much. Dennis listed at SF his first 5 seasons. Marion seemed to always be switching back and forth, but also strictly SF his first 5 seasons.

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Most of the best offensive rebounders ever have done that. Moses Malone was famous for it. Dennis would get credited for misses because he would tap it up to a place where he can go get it away from the defensive rebounder and sometimes it'd hit the rim counting as a miss. Although i don't think Tari was strategizing like this. His efficiency is low because he needs to become a better finisher for sure, even if he doesn't ever develop a solid 3 ball, but i think he showed he can and is already average.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Cry me a river.

By the way, how does someone rank 5th in offensive rebounds in the entire NBA when he is supposedly "too short", "doesn't have the physical tools", "isn't athletic"?

Hemingway likes this.
  19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

You aren't worthy of anyone's tears, sarcastic ones or otherwise.

The same way how Rodman could get almost double the amount of o-boards despite being 6'7; rebounding is less about height and physique and far more about positioning and timing.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

LOL. Touched a nerve there.