1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-17] Tari Eason, F, LSU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Tari Eason?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

99.1%
  2. NO

0.9%
  1. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

How about Tayshaun Prince as a comparison. What stands out to me is, that he does everything well without really being a focal point of the offense. Prince was maybe the fourth option on the Pistons and their best wing defender - yet he still got his points and filled the stats sheet and helped his team win. I am really ecstatic we got Tari and can’t wait to see, how many minutes he will get.

jiggyfly, joshuaao, ilias and 8 others like this.
  2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Fair enough - and as I say Eason needs to rebuild his shot, that goofy shot keeps going in - haha. I might have to rebuild my take - we are all a work in progress

eliefor3 likes this.
  3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Underrated comment there

bmelo and Drift Monkey like this.
  4. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

thats what the rodman comparison is, he doesn't to need have a play or be a focal point hes 10 rebounds and 20 points thus a better rodman, he'll never get 18 boards though like the worm ;]

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Looks like a huge steal again. I'm starting to actually buy in to the idea that Stone's got some potential as a GM. Last year could've been a fluke, looks so far like he's knocked it out of the park again. Need to see more ability at making trades, but his drafting so far has been 1st rate.

quikkag, Plowman, Fullcourt and 2 others like this.
  7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm starting to believe it. He's a force of nature.

8. maj21

maj21 Member

How could last year be a fluke when he absolutely nailed 3/4 picks?! Garuba still isn’t a lost cause yet, so it could be 4/4. That’s no fluke. Stone seems to be the real deal. Made a mistake with Theis, but he realized it and flipped him, which turned into Bruno!

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Around draft time I remember reading he supposedly didn't "ace" the interviews with teams during the draft, and it seemed like his basketball IQ was low during film sessions. Some were also scared by his weird shot form. I'm guessing a combination of the two scared some teams off.

#809 Dr of Dunk, Oct 8, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  10. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Before the draft, I would have traded the 17th and the 3rd if it meant we got Chet. I'm happy that I'm not the GM. I think Tari may even have a better season than Jabari.

coachbadlee likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Tari may or may not have a better season than Jabari. But I am positively sure that Tari will have a better season than Chet.

12. j@amc

j@amc Member

Hollinger saw him as a tweener 6'8 guy who would struggle with being turnover prone and having an underdeveloped jump shot. And if you're expecting Eason to be a traditional power forward, he will have issues simply because he's pretty wiry and lean.

The LSU coaches played him at the 5, matching him up against other teams' centers. Looking back, it seems pretty smart to put Eason on the court so he could impact rebounding and get out on the break. Eason filled that role and did exactly what they asked him to do.

But surprise, surprise. Eason's got a lot more in his bag.

The critical element that scouts like Hollinger completely missed is how hard of a worker he is. In his short time as a pro, we've seen his commitment to getting better. His shot has vastly improved. He's mindful of being efficient and keeping his turnover numbers down. And defensively, he's far from a liability.

Please, please keep his minutes up. Yes, he'll have growing pains and hit the rookie wall, but he needs steady playing time.

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

He is the SF of the future. We really have 4/5 of the startimg lineup set IMO

Alpi
    Smith
    Eason
    Green

14. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry for late response.

It's difficult not to get excited and go overboard. I always thought he will be a 3/D hustle player in his 1st year, but it's been amazing watching Tari showing his full arsenal on offense. There are still lapses on both offense (poor reads/late passes) and defense (wrong rotations), but his value on the court cannot be denied.

Some notes:
    -Not having a "left hand" doesn't matter if no one can stop his right hand.
    -Awkward shot doesn't matter if it goes in.
    -Less than ideal IQ doesn't matter if he is bigger/faster than everyone else where slow rotations still result in the desired play.

It's still pre-season, I know. Early outlook is amazing.

zeeshan2 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Honestly... It would be criminal to not have Tari as the starting SF to begin the season. There is not any rhyme or reason that it shouldn't happen. He gets on the floor every game and dominates. KJ can back him up and Tate can back up Jabari at the 4. Ego can back up JG at the 2 or be traded at this point. Jaygup seems to have regressed anyways so may not be a bad idea to keep Eric at the 2.

Sen89 likes this.
  16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I do think there's a very good chance Tari will start eventually, but for now I'm fine with Gordon. Gordon will help with spacing, and Tari can grow as one of the first off the bench. I think people get too hung up on who starts, anyway. I don't care as long as he's getting a healthy number of minutes.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How successful his career is hinges on if he can be a consistent 3 pt shooter. His his style of game falls apart if he can't be a consistent shooter because then he becomes a spacing liability.

Way too early to tell. I'm not a shots mechanic expert but is his base something that gives anyone concern?

Unfortunately in today's league where spacing is king, Rodman would be less effective. He would have have to have developed a somewhat competent jump shot in today's league.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Its not a terrible comp It's why Lucas said a better Rodman, he is just like Rodman when it comes to offensive rebounding and activity he just has better play making ability and is a better shooter.

Should I dare say Rodman 2.0:D

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am starting to think this as well, the only thing Smith does better is shoot the 3 and Tari blows him away in pretty much everything else.

The great thing is that they can play together and give you 2 very valuable guys, wings that can guard and shoot with range.

RasaqBoi and fattz like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If it works, why would you rebuild it?

For aesthetic purposes?