1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-17] Tari Eason, F, LSU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Tari Eason?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

99.1%
  2. NO

0.9%
  1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Playing time may be an issue. I’d expect legitimate run in the g league early on similar to what Josh Christopher did last year. I could see him as a second half breakout rookie though.

That could also change based on what happens with Gordon/KMJ trade opportunities and Tate’s jump shot.

burlesk, glimmertwins and jiggyfly like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is true, I just see him as having the impact of Scotty Barnes not as great a playmaker but everything else.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’d just like to see how him and Jabari pair up defensively. That’s going to be one of the season’s highlights.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, the more I think about, this team might just be too talented to tank anymore without some real machinations going on with playing time.

D-rock and BigM like this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I’m a huge Eason fan but be mindful that his game is very raw. Give him some time to absorb this standard of competition and coaching.

That’s one thing a lot of our young guys have in common, they’re great prospects but they did not always have the best competition and preparation before the NBA (except JC, Jabari).

burlesk, xaos and JW86 like this.
  6. JW86

JW86 Member

Yeah Tari will definitely experience growing pains, that 3 in particular will be ugly early on and fouls will be an issue too. Jabari will likely try to do too much too.

Mathloom and burlesk like this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, that was me, and Lebron outweighs that dude by at least 25-35 lbs. from what I saw. His forearms are about as big as Tari's biceps. lol.

burlesk and D-rock like this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I want to see how he fits in offensively simply because his hustle should reflect well defensively already. I would guess KPJ, Green, Smith, etc. are all ahead of him offensively in terms of option, but he should be able to gets buckets even just based upon his hustle. One thing about this "game" was he was jacking and bricking shots from 3 and seemed to be "option #1" or just decided to take shots, I guess. But despite that, he was still aggressive on defense and offense. I'll be curious to see if that aggressiveness gets toned down in real games.

burlesk, Mathloom and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Denovo and Believe It! like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

If he spends substantial time in the g league, then we are tanking.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think he had a 6th man, high energy role on his college team but he has to start learning team defensive concepts rather than just using his athleticism and shot selection may need to be adjusted a little bit.

His 3ball has to come around sooner rather than later. His motivation for playing defense has to remain constantly high. I have faith in him but I’m also not in a rush, happy to take our time with him and start him in the G League for a month or so then bring him off the bench for a good portion of the season before checking to see if he’s ready to try a starring role after the all star break.

I’d be happy with that but he may surprise us and do it faster.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can’t post the entire article but here’s the Tari portion…

• There’s no such thing as too much pre-exposure for a rookie before his first official NBA steps. The offseason before their first training camp typically doesn’t draw a lot of attention outside of summer league, but it’s important for these players to ingratiate themselves as much as possible beforehand.

Houston’s Tari Eason is a good example. Having been drafted 17th two months ago, Eason’s made a few appearances around the city — a meet and greet with giveaways for kids at Academy Sports & Outdoor, throwing the first pitch at an Astros game — but basketball-wise, he’s also been active. In addition to working out at the practice facility, he’s featured in pro runs, notably the Drew League and Jamal Crawford’s CrawsOver Pro-Am. Rockets teammates K.J. Martin and David Nwaba also participated in summer runs and played well, but Eason dropped an eye-popping 37 points in one of the recent fixtures, showcasing high energy on both sides of the floor and looking like he belonged on the floor, even going up against LeBron James.

On Saturday, Eason joined the likes of James, Jayson Tatum, Aaron Gordon, Dejounte Murray, Paolo Banchero and Chet Holmgren in Seattle for the Crawsover.

The game was eventually called in the second quarter because of court condensation, but the experiences even in that short time were invaluable. Fans were waiting outside the doors as early as 3 a.m., and just being able to share the floor with talented players before the new calendar is a huge plus, especially as a rookie who has a lot of learning to do.

“It’s just a really good place to work on your game,” Eason told The Athletic. “The offseason, a lot of dudes can be stagnant or be at home; I choose to work on my game. To do it here, in front of all these fans and in front of all these people, in this city, it’s truly a blessing.”

Of course, summer ball isn’t the structured, organized five-on-five game that typical NBA basketball dictates, but at the end of the day it’s more or less the same players. There are always things to gleam from games, no matter the level of intensity and formality. The slightest tendencies, how players move and favorable spots on the floor can all come in handy come time for the regular season. There are experiences from both sides of the equation, whether professional or amateur, and Eason has seen each.

“There’s definitely a difference,” Eason said of playing as a professional versus an amateur. “Just being comfortable out there when you’re a pro. A lot of things are going to be ran through you when you’re a pro, and a lot of things are going to be more catered to you. When you’re an amateur, you’re still looking to be seen and things like that. Nonetheless, I think it’s a really good stage for anybody to work on their game and for the fans to see some really good ball.”

AroundTheWorld, rfrocket and D-rock like this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The whole Rockets roster catching strays.

csc177, verysimplejason and D-rock like this.
  15. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

So is there anyplace where they actually say how Tari faired against King James?
    I know you're not gonna stop him from scoring in these summer league type atmospheres but did Tari at least come back against Lebron on the other end.
    Did he acquit himself well?
    I know the game was called at halftime.

thnx in advance!

16. verysimplejason

I tend to agree but I'm guessing he'll be in top 10. There are more NBA ready rookies.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I'm calling it here because this is the Eason thread.

His play in summer league sealed it for me.

Why do you have such an issue.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't. You're just spazzing like you do in every thread. lol. The world is not out to get you, dude. I just thought you watched the dude play for a quarter in a trash Pro-Am game and came to the conclusion.

Believe me, no one is out to get you. :D

flamingdts and Easy like this.
  19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Triple negation is cool... :cool:

Downtown Sniper likes this.