1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-17] Tari Eason, F, LSU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Tari Eason?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

99.1%
  2. NO

0.9%
  1. i3artow i3aller

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Hey, no blame for a differing of an opinion here. I really like Dalen Terry. I still do after summer league. You're saying you're gladly accepting being wrong and that might be in the short term at this point, but are you willing to change your vote? I think you should be able to at the top of this thread if you scroll up. There's a button that says "change your vote". If not, all good. Dalen is nice. I really liked him for us. But if you're willing to change your vote for Clutchfans history, this could be a fun celebration.

@JD88 has already.

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  3. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

Just did too.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Ironically, I think he’ll look a lot like Corey Brewer early in his rookie year.

By the end of the year he’ll be Corey Brewer with a huge wingspan put to good use, more disciplined team defense and a corner 3pt shot that has to be respected. That’s an amazing player.

I’ve read from many that he’s had very little coaching in his career so you can expect a dramatic improvement in his game early on just understanding NBA concepts and fundamentals.

TheJuice, Hakeemtheking and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I just don't see how he doesn't overtake Tate. In a winning basketball environment, he is getting the bulk of the minutes due to Size, Length, defensive instincts, shooting, etc.

6. fattz

fattz Member

This is what a successful rebuild is supposed to look like.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Extremely early, but he's outplayed many of the lottery picks ahead of him in Summer League, we'll see what happens long-term and when the games count.

But his consistency has been excellent.

9. fattz

fattz Member

If his Summer League play transfers to the regular season we have an all-star small forward. The Rockets haven’t had a traditional small forward this size, talented and still raw in decades. Just surreal he is going to get better with time.

Denovo, Drift Monkey, Plowman and 5 others like this.
  10. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

The thing I've most enjoyed from summer league is watching our 3 new picks play together on defense. Including TyTy, who has surprised me with his skill. Individually, they're all quite good. Together, they often combine for a block or steal and a layup the other way.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not just elite defender.

But elite rebounder at 3 spot.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Just let Eason and Smith start together and see how it goes. No point in delaying the inevitable.

Drift Monkey, Hakeemtheking and fattz like this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

Will need to let the season play out but we potentially nabbed consecutive top ten picks in Green/Sengun and Jabari/Eason.

Still surprised Eason fell to 17.

15. fattz

fattz Member

A front court of Sengun, Smith and Eason is very promising and blends well together.

#435 fattz, Jul 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  16. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

One thing about the rebounds: Jabari is getting them with his length. Tari is getting them with anticipation and hustle.

When people say Tari has low Bball IQ, they’re not accounting for his fantastic sense of court position and flow. He sees traffic patterns and opportunities in a way that’s pretty unusual for his age.

heypartner, joshuaao, crose and 12 others like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I still think Tate is a good person to have on the roster. But yes, Tari seems to have a much higher ceiling.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think when people talk about BBall IQ, they are mostly thinking about offensive IQ. The fact is, defensive IQ exists. Some players are just instinctively smart at defense and rebounding.

20. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. Dennis Rodman. At rebounding, a genius. At North Korean dictators ... not so much.

As to offensive IQ ... the worst mental glitch I saw wasn't from Tari. It was Jabari being so intent on a dribble handoff that he never looked up to see Mitchell cutting wide open to the basket. I wanted to cry.