1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Hometown team isn't everything, but it helps put a thumb on the scale.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It may depend on how many prospects graduate off the list.

3. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Take a look at most of our successes with pitching over the last few years, every single starting pitcher from our system who's made the majors (except one) has added pitches, added velo, and added movement. All but one of them had/have major walk issues. Even the only college pitcher from Luhnow who's likely to work out (Brown) has big walk issues.

While the type of player selected looks diffirent, I see the same philosophy when it comes to pitching (except for the soft-tossing lefty). They want Strikeouts, even better if in the zone, they want tons of movement, and they are confident in teaching these guys new pitches and cleaning up the mechanics on their old ones (I stand by my prediction that the cross-tossing string bean Andrew Taylor with leading off his correct foot and gaining 25 pounds of muscle will throw 95+ by age 24).

It's still about getting plus pitches and strikeouts now, and leaving the finer points of command up to the Major League coaches.

#403 Tuckmose, Jul 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    Nook likes this.
  4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm not surprised at all that the Astros took several college arms. Missing those 4 picks from the cheating scandal and the bad pitching performances this season from a lot of pitchers in their system they really needed to get college guys that are 1-3 years away and not highschool projects that are 4-5 years away.

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I think that's right. An increase in bodyweight can lead to an increase in velocity assuming hip rotation and range of motion don't suffer. One of the biggest factors in velocity is the lead leg's ability to absorb (at landing) and then transfer ground reaction force into the trunk of the pitcher. Brusdar Graterol is the perfect example of this. Generating torque as the hips are opening and the ball is approaching the release point is critical to achieving velocity... and the front leg's ability to send that force up through the torso is what can really juice up your hip turn. More bodyweight = more ability to absorb the ground force and send it up to the torso to create torque and allow the hips to fully open and the ball to whip through faster.

6. Nook

Nook Member

A few college pitchers? Sure I expected that, but I did not expect 7 of the first 10 picks the Astros made to be college pitchers.

raining threes and Htown Legend like this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

So I looked at Fangraphs because it's the most recent prospect list to come out they are very detailed.

They have the Astros system grades:
    ( I removed Pena #1 55 grade and moved everyone else up 1 spot)
    1) 50 grade: Brown.

2-5) 45 grades, 4 players.

They have Gilbert 45 so he would be 5th player here between 2nd and 6th.

7-8) 40+ grades, 2 players.

They have Clifford 40+ so he would be the 3rd player in this range between 7th and 9th.

10-15) 40 grade. 6 players.

They have both Melton and Knorr listed as 40 grade so they would fall in here between 10th and 17th.

The rest of their top 33 are 35+ grade players.

Andrew Taylor is listed as 35+ so could make the list between 18th and who knows.

Again this is just Fangraphs but hope it helps.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Jacob Melton Batting Stance looks like Luis Gonzalez

#408 rockets1995, Jul 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Drew Gilbert personality and being a leadoff hitter reminds me of Pete Rose.

Not that he will get 4000 hits but the way he hustles, and gets hits, Vocal, Intensity.

raining threes and Htown Legend like this.
  10. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

LOL! The Astros make everyone mad but there fans and players.

11. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I was thinking Lenny Dykstra, he was a CF lefthanded, 5'10" fiery, a little pop, decent speed, great OB guy.

Hopefully he won't fall into all the same troubles Lenny did.

Snake Diggit and raining threes like this.
  12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

How does Gilbert compare to Springer when he was drafted?

13. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Here's Springer's quick summary from 2011:
    [​IMG]

And Gilbert's from 11 years later:
    [​IMG]
    Second, their stats from their Junior years in college:

Gilbert:
    [​IMG]

Springer:
    [​IMG]

Some observations:
    Both have plus speed, but weren't and aren't fast enough to menace the bases at the ML level, but have good enough speed and instincts to play a competent center field.
    Springer's eye at the plate wasn't quite as developed, but he turned himself into an above-average plate disciplinarian (career 20% K%)
    Springer has 60-ish power, but still has very good bat-to-ball skills.
    Gilbert has nearly 70 power, but only 55-60 in game thanks to some poor mechanics in his swing. If he can iron them out, he'd be unstoppable with his exit velos, which are superior to George's.

Both have above-average arms, but Gilbert looks like the slightly superior prospect.

The only reason he didn't go top 10 was his height at 5' 9", which is on the smaller side, but not uncommon at center field (Mookie Betts measures in at the same height).

How could I forget this: Gilbert's a lefty on top of all that.

Fulgore likes this.
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I think George Springer didn't live up to expectation of being a #3 Hitter, wasn't a patient hitter, As a Leadoff Hitter He took off. He wants to Run the Bases and Hit Home Runs Early in the Count.

15. Buck Turgidson

Watching him in the SEC and Regional tournament that's exactly what I thought. Full redass.

I hope I don't have to hate him, I'd like to like him.

Madmanmetz likes this.