1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jan 8, 2021.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They were held accountable for their actions. Several capitol police have committed suicide because they were unable to deal with everything these criminals put them through on the sixth.

They were part of a mob that erected gallows and wanted to kill the Vice President of the United States.

Many used weapons to attack law enforcement.

You decry the January 6th hearings but haven't provided anything in response to the evidence they've presented. The testimony is almost entirely from Republicans and Republicans that were loyal to and serving President Trump.

When you are ready to counter evidence and provide your own evidence, there are plenty here that will listen.

So far you haven't. You've provided zero evidence, zero testimony, or anything to back up your claims.

Nook, DaDakota, mdrowe00 and 2 others like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

8% were motivated to start a war. All of them are victims of Trumpism, believing in the big lie or in Trump. Useful idiots for Trump to maintain power sound about right.

“20.6 percent of the rioters, a plurality, were motivated to take part in the riot because they supported Trump. Another 20.6 percent of the rioters cited Trump’s fraudulent claims that the 2020 presidential election was rigged as their primary reason for participating in the Jan. 6 riot.”

“The third most common reason for attacking the Capitol: a desire to start a civil war or an armed revolution, according to the study. Almost 8 percent of defendants indicated it was their main motivation.”

““The documents show that Trump and his allies convinced an unquantifiable number of Americans that representative democracy in the United States was not only in decline, but in imminent, existential danger”

“But it does seem clear to us that the largest portion of the attackers whose documents we analyzed, were compelled — at least in part — by their desire to support Donald Trump and their belief in his lies about the election,”

Nook, deb4rockets, mdrowe00 and 2 others like this.
  3. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I’m here for the tour, but since you already have the gallows set up, I’ll chant hang Mike Pence and punch a few cops.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My favorite part of that story is that Trump’s spokesperson when asked about said the statement speaks for itself.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don’t vote in Republican primaries unless there is a candidate I think would be the best for that office.

The parties are about winning and I can see how this strategy could work, until it doesn’t. For voters though it is just more cynical political games.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You’re seriously comparing the detention of a whole group of Americans who commited no crimes but we’re detained for years far from their homes just because of their ethnicity with a bunch of people who at the minimum were trespassing and interfering with Congress. Who at the maximum were attacking LEO carrying out their sworn duty.

Nook, ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

more on this study

https://ethicsalarms.com/2022/08/02/well-waddya-know-harvard-undercuts-a-core-progressive-big-lie/

Well Waddya Know! Harvard Undercuts A Core Progressive Big Lie!
    AUGUST 2, 2022 / JACK MARSHALL

[​IMG]

I can’t let this pass. I’ve been bashing my embarrassing alma mater here for years, and it finally is responsible for something that almost makes me want to hang the ol framed diploma up again, with the back of it to the wall again.

Almost.

The Harvard Crimson reports:

In the most comprehensive study to date of what motivated the Trump supporters to attack the Capitol, Shorenstein Center researchers found that 20.6 percent of the rioters, a plurality, were motivated to take part in the riot because they supported Trump. Another 20.6 percent of the rioters cited Trump’s fraudulent claims that the 2020 presidential election was rigged as their primary reason for participating in the Jan. 6 riot.

The authors of the study — Joan Donovan, Kaylee Fagan, and Frances E. Lee — wrote that their analysis found that the largest proportion of defendants “were motivated, in part, to invade the US Capitol Building by Donald Trump.”

The third most common reason for attacking the Capitol: a desire to start a civil war or an armed revolution, according to the study. Almost 8 percent of defendants indicated it was their main motivation.

In an interview, Fagan said she was surprised by how frequently support for Trump and concerns about the election were cited as primary motivations for joining the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.

“I don’t think I expected the result to be this stark,” Fagan said. “I also certainly didn’t expect those two motivations to come up nearly exactly as often as they both did.”

Though more than 800 have been federally prosecuted for their participation in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, the study focused on 417 defendants charged with federal crimes in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.

In other words, the riot was, as riots tend to be, one big, violent, stupid tantrum, like the George Floyd riots in the summer of 2020. It was not an “insurrection.” It couldn’t be, since less than 8% told researchers that their goal was to take over the government. (8% is also the standard idiot percentage in any public poll.) Nevertheless, the New York Times editors now refers to all news about the January 6 riot as “insurrection” developments, because the whole point to Big Lies is that you keep repeating them over and over, and that November reckoning for Democrats is closing in fast.

Will the mainstream media publicize the new research results? Well, we shall see. If they do, I suspect they will try to spin it like the Crimson does, with its deceptive headline, “Why Did Trump Supporters Storm the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6? Because of Trump, New Harvard Study Finds.

I can’t blame the Shorenstein Center for that. Trump didn’t make his most fanatic supporters rush into the Capitol, nor did he tell them to do so. His inflammatory rhetoric was (and is) irresponsible, but it’s a long, long way from incitement, as sane legal commentators from both ends of the political spectrum have pointed out. Now there is hard evidence that overthrowing the government was not on the minds of the rioters who had minds.

Good to know! Thanks, Harvard!

MojoMan likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don’t see what the author or you are getting at with this. Does it mean that we’re not supposed to be so concerned about it because only 8% wanted to start a civil war?

As noted in the article many of if not most of those who participated in the rioting around George Floyd were not interested in social justice. I could’ve told you that first night of the protests. That doesn’t mean that those riots didn’t have some serious consequences nor that those who participated in the looting, property destruction shouldn’t be prosecuted.

Frankly this piece and many others downplaying Jan. 6 just read as deflection and rationalization of what happened.

Nook, Invisible Fan, ROCKSS and 2 others like this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That article is incomplete and ignores the fact that Trump and his team had meetings prior to Jan. 6th where they specifically said they wanted to stop the certification in order to bring the president elect decision to a congressional vote where members would vote by state.

That lends much more credibility to incitement as a possibility.

The article posted says legal experts from both sides believe there isn't evidence to indict for inciting. Yet, they omit a huge part of the evidence which would help make the case.

They also ignore the fact that legal experts from both sides believe there is enough to indict Trump.

https://news.northeastern.edu/2022/07/06/donald-trump-trial-indictment/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alison...6-committee-investigation-heres-what-to-know/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/06...ons-could-move-trump-closer-criminal-charges/

https://www.lawfareblog.com/cassidy...hanged-our-minds-about-indicting-donald-trump

This is from the link directly above

So there is a real problem when articles like the one you posted leave out key points and then act like it is insane to believe there is a potential indictment.

Legal experts both right-leaning and left-leaning disagree with some saying there is enough to indict and some from both sides saying they don't believe there is enough to indict.

With that being said, what I find is most interesting is how many experts have changed their minds based on the new evidence provided by the January 6th committee.

I haven't really seen any that said they were sure before that he should be indicted but now believe there just isn't enough evidence to indict.

Andre0087, rocketsjudoka and mdrowe00 like this.
  11. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Os hasn’t watched any of the hearings, but he does spend a lot of time finding and posting articles minimizing Jan 6.

ROCKSS and Andre0087 like this.
  12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You didn’t finish the sentence.

…at the United States Capitol during the official proceeding to count electoral votes to certify the election of the new President of the United States.

This wasn’t some normal Tuesday at the Capitol and they interrupted some committee hearing.

*Their

They chose to trespass at the US Capitol during a time when the general public is not allowed in. Many with weapons. Many vandalized the United States Capitol. Many were there with the stated goal to find members of Congress and do them harm. They got busted and they got exactly what’s coming to them.

You are right. It is a black mark on this country but not in the idiotic way you take it. These moronic cult members (much like yourself) are not being falsely imprisoned and they are not being treated anything like the Japanese in the 1940’s. They are being treated like the treasonous criminals they are.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't think he has any original thoughts...

Jonathan Turley (yea, that guy) said the study suggests that many of the rioters believe they were defending democracy (yea, we know), not trying to overthrow it. Well, Turley is at it again. They were indeed trying to defend democracy - by trying to keep Trump in power (patriots in action!) since they bought into Trump's Big Lie.

Andre0087 likes this.
  14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't even believe people are still trying to act like these Insurrectionists were merely trespassing and making a mess. Enough of the BS. If you are too lazy to watch the hearings to see and hear the true facts of the coup that are available online then you are in a deep state of denial.

Agent94 and Andre0087 like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2022/7/26/trump-jan-6-hks-study/

Why Did Trump Supporters Storm the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6? Because of Trump, New Harvard Study Finds
    By Miles J. Herszenhorn, Crimson Staff Writer
    July 26, 2022

Former President Donald Trump’s lies about election fraud and enthusiasm for his re-election drove supporters to storm the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, according to a study from the Harvard Kennedy School’s Shorenstein Center.

In the most comprehensive study to date of what motivated the Trump supporters to attack the Capitol, Shorenstein Center researchers found that 20.6 percent of the rioters, a plurality, were motivated to take part in the riot because they supported Trump. Another 20.6 percent of the rioters cited Trump’s fraudulent claims that the 2020 presidential election was rigged as their primary reason for participating in the Jan. 6 riot.

The authors of the study — Joan Donovan, Kaylee Fagan, and Frances E. Lee — wrote that their analysis found that the largest proportion of defendants “were motivated, in part, to invade the US Capitol Building by Donald Trump.”

The third most common reason for attacking the Capitol: a desire to start a civil war or an armed revolution, according to the study. Almost 8 percent of defendants indicated it was their main motivation.

In an interview, Fagan said she was surprised by how frequently support for Trump and concerns about the election were cited as primary motivations for joining the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.

“I don’t think I expected the result to be this stark,” Fagan said. “I also certainly didn’t expect those two motivations to come up nearly exactly as often as they both did.”

Though more than 800 have been federally prosecuted for their participation in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, the study focused on 417 defendants charged with federal crimes in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.

The study, which was released as a working paper because it has not been peer-reviewed, analyzed 469 court documents from the 417 defendants to determine why the rioters decided to join the Jan. 6 attack in Washington.

“The documents show that Trump and his allies convinced an unquantifiable number of Americans that representative democracy in the United States was not only in decline, but in imminent, existential danger,” the study said. “This belief translated into a widespread fear of democratic and societal breakdown, which, in turn, motivated hundreds of Americans to travel to DC from far corners of the country in what they were convinced was the nation’s most desperate hour.”

Other common reasons for breaching the Capitol included participating in an event of historical significance, engaging in peaceful protest, and committing acts of violence.

The QAnon conspiracy theory was one of the lesser motives, the study found, only motivating 4.1 percent of defendants to storm the Capitol. Fagan said she initially thought QAnon would play a larger role in motivating people to participate in the Jan. 6 attack.

“The folks with QAnon t-shirts, and signs, and flags were so prominently displayed in much of the visual imagery that came out of the Capitol attack,” Fagan said. “So we expected to see more QAnon-related concepts come through in the documents.”

The study stated that the absence of defendants’ court documents citing QAnon as a primary motivation for participating in the Jan. 6 attack “does not necessarily mean that the Capitol stormers did and do not, by and large, subscribe to the conspiratorial beliefs associated with QAnon.”

“This fact could simply be the result of most law enforcement officers deciding that the defendants’ conspiratorial beliefs were not relevant to their crimes,” the study added.

While the role of QAnon in motivating the Jan. 6 attack may still be unclear, Fagan said the rioters saw Donald Trump “as a leader and as a key player in the movement that they were participating in.”

“Obviously, I cannot speak to whether crimes were committed or whether any of this is intentional on Trump’s part,” she said. “That’s for the [House Jan. 6 select] committee to decide.”

“But it does seem clear to us that the largest portion of the attackers whose documents we analyzed, were compelled — at least in part — by their desire to support Donald Trump and their belief in his lies about the election,” Fagan added.

—Staff writer Miles J. Herszenhorn can be reached at miles.herszenhorn@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @MHerszenhorn.

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Trump-Backed Gibbs Takes Out Rep. Meijer in Michigan

In one of the biggest upsets in any of the four states holding primaries Tuesday, freshman Republican Rep. Peter Meijer went down in defeat in Michigan’s 3rd District (Grand Rapids).

In what is becoming an increasingly familiar story in GOP primaries this year, Meijer became the 6th House Republican to vote for former President Donald Trump’s impeachment and to go down in defeat at the hands of a Trump-endorsed opponent—in this case, John Gibbs, who served in the Department of Housing and Urban Development under Trump.

But Gibbs’ 53 to 47% triumph is especially stunning in that it was achieved by taking out someone who is a household name in Western Michigan.

The son of billionaire supermarket magnate Hank Meijer, Meijer is the fourth generation in his Dutch-American family to work in the family business. Meijer Supermarkets are familiar sites in Western Michigan.

But the name and family connections were not enough for the congressman. When Meijer voted for Trump’s impeachment last year, polls showed that as many as 40% of likely Republican primary voters wanted a new congressman.

In the final two weeks of the campaign, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) unleashed $425,000 in TV spots slamming Gibbs as “too conservative” and “handpicked” to run by Trump—comments sure to be viewed favorably by primary voters. (Michigan has no party registration and voters select which primary they want to participate).

Meijer denounced the DCCC broadsides as hypocritical.

RocketsDraftTV likes this.
  17. Commodore

how would they have taken over the government without any weapons or control of the military?

Do you think it's like capture the flag where if they make it to the podium they win and get to rule?

18. Commodore

great night for MAGA candidates yesterday

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

'take over the government' = do whatever is necessary (including murder apparently) to prevent certification of the election and ensure Trump remains President

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

No excuses.

Those people are responsible for their own actions.....as is Trump.

DD