1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jan 8, 2021.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

And if that silly indepedent state legislature case is ruled the way Kavanaugh wants, I'm pretty sure Dem states are all going to start embracing gerrymandering. They'll just start overriding the commissions or violating state constitutions. NY, CA, MN, MI, WA, and eventually VA all have room to redraw districts in favor of Democrats.

The SC is playing with fire once again. And I suspect they might be dumb enough to do this.

Major likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don't think he's a poor candidate...we are talking about Georgia

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

GOP can continue attacking younger people all they want

Stuff like this doesn't have them worrying about the future?

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

He must have missed on something that was important to independents.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Xerobull

GOP doesn't worry about tomorrow. They're greedy. It's literally what makes capitalists go. What can I make today? **** tomorrow. I'll deal with it then.

(I'm a fairly successful businessman but I understand social contract, give a **** about my kids and don't want to live in a desert in 20 years).

jiggyfly and Reeko like this.
  9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. Xerobull

jiggyfly and Ziggy like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own Congratulations Andrew Cuomo thread

basso likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Damn and people are confused why we label these people fascists.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Xerobull

• Abortion is not going away. Ever
    • Trump doesn't give a **** about Regan's commandments
    • I wonder how many abortions those women have had

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

fwiw the Court of Appeals judge who wrote the majority opinion on the NY redistricting case was Janet DiFiore, a registered Democrat: https://ballotpedia.org/Janet_DiFiore

the court's decision as reported in the NYT:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/27/nyregion/redistricting-congress-gerrymander-ny.html

excerpt:

In a sweeping 32-page ruling, a divided New York State Court of Appeals chided Democrats for ignoring a constitutional amendment adopted by voters in 2014 to curb political influence in the redistricting process. The amendment also created a new outside commission to guide the process.

The judges additionally found that the congressional districts designed by Democrats violated an explicit state ban on partisan gerrymandering, undercutting the party’s national campaign to brand itself as the champion of voting rights.

Writing for the four-judge majority, Chief Judge Janet DiFiore said that Democratic lawmakers created congressional and State Senate maps in a way that was “procedurally unconstitutional,” and that the congressional map in particular was “drawn with impermissible partisan purpose.”

The ruling, which is not subject to appeal, was expected to delay the June 28 party primaries for the congressional and State Senate districts until August, to allow time for new maps to be drawn and for candidates to collect petitions to qualify for the ballot.

The verdict delivered a stinging defeat to Democrats in Albany and in Washington and cast this year’s election cycle into deep uncertainty.

Party leaders had been hopeful that the Court of Appeals, with all seven judges appointed by Democratic governors, would overturn earlier decisions by a Republican judge in Steuben County and a bipartisan appeals court in Rochester.

Instead, the high court issued an even more damning verdict that denied the Democrat-dominated State Legislature a chance to redraw the maps itself. That task, the judges said, should be handled by a politically neutral special master, who would be overseen by a trial court.
    more at the link

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I recally OH's Republican legislature overrode their own court so stuff like this is already happening.

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

18. Major

Major Member

So random question: Lets say this ends up as 218-217. GOP controls the House. Middle of next year, a two GOPers quit or whatever (people leave the House all the time for various reasons). Do they redo the speakership? Or is it set until after 2024 elections?

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Last until the next congress, so after the 2024 election. Unless of course something happen to the speaker before

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yep. Dems have this part of their party that thinks that Ned Stark won the Game of Thrones. The purity test is all that matters. Not actually playing our Democratic system in a way that actually allows for power to make the changes they want in increments.

jiggyfly and Xopher like this.