1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jan 8, 2021.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Republicans in the polls they like, only listen to ones that back up what they wish to be true. So they found whatever polls would back their desired outcome. They ignore all other polls and even bash them by saying how inaccurate pollsters are and that they are.

It is the same patterns Republicans use when defending Trump, going against Climate Change, Covid Science, etc. It is a real pattern with them.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope this b*tch doesn't win.

The Trump-aligned Republican candidate for governor in Arizona, Kari Lake, told reporters on Tuesday she would be their “worst fricking nightmare for eight years” if she defeated the Democrat Katie Hobbs for the job.

That goes for boo boo Boebert as well. Unfortunately QKook MTG won.

Andre0087 and Ubiquitin like this.
  3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, there is too much baggage with Newsom for him to lead a ticket. Plus so many people think that California is a hell-hole (despite it being one of the largest economies in the world and suffering from problems that are shared across all major population centers in this country like housing affordability, homelessness, drug abuse, etc.). California's problems aren't unique, but a lot of non-California voters like to pretend that they are.

4. Major

Major Member

I tend to agree. But I think Newsom (and Tim Ryan) is someone who can articulate progressive values in a thoughtful but assertive way. They both fight back against the GOP nonsense better than anyone and can take the fight to them instead of being defensive. That's where I think their value comes, especially in a VP role. But I agree, the rich-California-white-dude optics are not great.

#2204 Major, Nov 9, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    Andre0087, jiggyfly, Kim and 2 others like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why does everything have to be doom and gloom with you.

This was a historic win for democrats and a historic rebuke for the Republicans, they will have tons of infighting leading up to 20/24 and will not be untied Biden could definitely beat DeSantis who does not have a national following and is not a great presence.

omar23 and joshuaao like this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I agree that Newsom (and Ryan) are very pointed, powerful speakers.

This is a fun game. Blue sky scenario... Biden retires, who do you put together for the best Dem ticket in 2024?

I think these folks are high on the list:

Gretchen Whitmer
    Julian Castro
    Sherrod Brown
    Raphael Warnock
    Tim Ryan

There's some others on the B tier:

Mark Kelly
    Tammy Baldwin
    Marcia Fudge
    Marianne Williamson
    Cory Booker
    Beto (lol)

I'm not sure if Trump or Desantis change the calculation fwiw. Plus you have the looming specter of what to do with Kamala...

Major likes this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Newsome has way too much baggage imo. Tim Ryan is not THAT articulate to be honest. He's kind of awkward sounding in debates from my memory.

I struggle to pin point who I think would be a great democratic candidate.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Beto JFC.

Warnock is interesting, didn't even think about him. Gretchen Whitmer I haven't seen in debates at all to evaluate, but I think her pictures are kind of crazy lady so I worry about her in a shallow general election nationally.

I don't get the Tim Ryan love honestly. Sherrod Brown is interesting.

Mark Kelly is someone I haven't seen enough of, but it feels like he should be a higher priority? Assuming he holds on to win, what is it about him that prevents him from being a star?

Major likes this.
  9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mark Kelly our first astronaut president.

JeeberD and Andre0087 like this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I said lol dammit!

Beto, for all his faults, is charismatic and a great fund raiser.

Don't get me wrong, he is NOT high on my list, but I think the Dem bench is so thin they're gonna have to think about it.

The danger of folks like Mark Kelly is that you lose their Senate seat if they win, and that could go right back to the Republicans.

Kelly isn't charismatic or a good fund raiser, doesn't have any magic with minority voters, and Arizona isn't a huge electoral prize, but he's just a great dude.

justtxyank likes this.
  11. Major

Major Member

Sherrod Brown would be excellent. Tim Ryan had a golden opportunity against a shitty candidate and still lost by a fair margin. That doesn't bode well for Brown's next election, whenever it is. So a jump to national politics might be well timed.

Hopefully Trump makes his decision next week and then Biden follows suit soon after. Whatever happens, it can't be Biden waiting a long time and then deciding not to run.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whitmer/Warnock would be an excellent ticket (although giving up a Senate seat in Georgia where Kemp would make the replacement, unless Warnock loses now on in the runoff, would be a bad strategic choice). The same goes for Sherrod Brown unless Ohio is now so red that he has no hope for reelection in 2024. Brown will also be 72 in two years.

I've always been out on the Castros - I think they're pretty milquetoast and don't have what it takes for large races - but he could be an effective VP nominee who could shore up Latino support.

Nook likes this.
  13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Giving up the GA seat would hurt, but if it means the White House, it's a worthwhile move.... Rook takes Queen kind of thing.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  14. CCorn

CCorn Member

I want Julian Castro to run against Cruz

Ubiquitin likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watching Tim Ryan's concession speech. Very good. He was sort of a joke when he ran in 2020 but he showed he was very capable this race but OH is trending red. If a lot of people listen to this speech it might bode well for him in the future.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

They have called Wisconsin for Johnson.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well that sucks.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL that's all you got after the embarrassment of last night?

Whatever it takes to get you through, I guess.
    This is BS The national party is not going to make anybody talk about gun rights in a red state and withhold funds if they don't.

Texas candidates don't have to do an either or.

19. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Second-term Reagan was a space cadet.

Nook and Rashmon like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Disappointed in the result of WI with Johnson winning. I'm regretting now I didn't volunteer in WI to help there.