1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022] Hurricane/ Severe weather discussion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, May 18, 2022.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah... we were at our lake house for the first time in months in June. It hit 100 the day we left.

And our AC flaked out, but our personal repairman from HSP knew our system well enough that he was able to get it working while we were there and fixed it for good after we left.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

no AC while driving around in crazy hot temps could be a suicide mission

if it were me, my body would be on smoothie by the time I got to the 1st house in the afternoon…pull up to your house, and all you’d see is a puddle with a hat on top inside the truck

fck that

TheJuice and Xerobull like this.
  3. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

should be illegal for those trucks to not have A/C. Especially given how much shipping the modern economy has.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Looks kinda fake.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yeah, Climate Change is a myth. Republicans and Conservatives keep telling that lie.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's not a lie if you really believe!

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. The driving around often isn't the worst part. The hauling packages around in the heat, up steps, over curbs, up ramps, opening doors, etc. repeatedly is. I used to load trucks graveyard shift for RPS about 30 years ago. Loading those trucks is no fun, either. I used to work with some guys on those loading/sorting docks who said the only job they had that was worse was probably working the docks at the Houston Ship Channel. I also worked graveyard unloading 18 wheelers and stocking the floor for Walmart. Another hard job. Those dock/warehouse jobs working in heat with no AC/heat are some of the worst jobs out there. Being a UPS/RPS delivery driver can be pure hell, too.

TheJuice and Andre0087 like this.
  8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

UPS claims that AC is useless in their trucks because they make frequent stops...FedEx trucks have AC

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I remember throwing sacks of rice at the port when I was 19. It paid well (union job) but damn at 120lbs apiece I'd go home, take a shower, and just go to sleep. Couldn't imagine doing anything similar today...

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I can kind of understand what UPS says. I don't know how much AC would help with as many stops and frequent open/close instances of the door they'd have to go through. What may be worse than the cab would probably be the cargo/package area of the truck in the back. That must be pure hell. So even if the cab were AC'ed, that cargo area would still be the worst part, probably. Kind of like walking into an oven at every stop.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, working for RPS, we each had to watch conveyor belts as packages and giant containers of weird liquids and crap flew by. We had to pick them off the conveyor belt and put them in the right spots on the truck. We were each in charge of 3 delivery trucks getting filled that way. I remember one of the trucks I had was around the Bellaire area. There was a coffee shop there that would every now and then get a massive coffee order. Nothing like watching about 40-50 boxes of coffee come at you down the conveyor belt. You had to take them off the truck and on to truck in the right spot without letting the remaining boxes/packages go by your truck(s) or the guys down the line would get pissed seeing your packages that you missed. It was like the workout/physical version of that famous I Love Lucy episode about the candy conveyor belt. lol.

It's weird that the first 3 jobs I had (unloading trucks for Walmart and stocking shelves graveyard shift, loading trucks for RPS graveyard shift, and being a pharmacy tech) are still the hardest jobs I've probably ever had. White collar work FTW! Seriously - blue collar workers can be severely underpaid.

TheJuice and Andre0087 like this.
  12. marks0223

Supporting Member

13. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

My Dad used to be a short haul trucker/packer. He always said it was great money for a young guy but couldn't imagine doing it past a certain age and that it wasn't worth the physical toll...especially because pay increases were rare. What seemed like good money as a single 20-something isnt quite the same when youve got a mouth or two to feed.

14. marks0223

Supporting Member

15. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Is it ever going to rain again?

16. Buck Turgidson

I hit Krause Springs after 3 hours of heat for a 9-11 AM run. Nobody was there, it was glorious.

17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Looks like North Texas is good though.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You talkin' actual North Texas or ... the Panhandle? :D

Surfguy and bumbum09 like this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

LOL, brilliant.