1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 Draft/1-3] Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 28, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Derek Stingley Jr.?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2023.
  1. YES

72.1%
  2. NO

27.9%
  1. vince

vince Member

Seeing Stingley healthy and getting into his groove, I can see why the Texans selected him in the top of the 1st round; they man looks every bit a shut down corner.

2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

It took awhile....but THANK YOU Stingley, you played awesome

raining threes, ROXRAN, vince and 2 others like this.
  3. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

100%

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Dude has been a lockdown CB for a hot minute now. Health is the only thing standing in his way legit has all the tools - the play late in the game yesterday where Pitre had inside contain and Stinger fly's across the field to break up the pass on DHop was fking awesome. He's hawking out there and soon teams will just stop throwing it to his side. He's a problem for OCs.

I did the impatient fan thing and was too harsh making comparisons while he wasnt 100% and settling into his spot on this team. Thats my bad and I own it. Thrilled the guy is busting out and comparing him to Sauce now surely works in Stingers favor. Thanks for the crow young man I hope you lead us to places we've never been.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

People calling him a bust were hilarious. Dude had All Pro tape in college. This is who he has always been. Way more impactful than that Sauce Gardner kid because Stingley will turn you over.

cmoak1982 and mikol13 like this.
  6. tmacfor35

Beautiful thing is teams are going to stop testing that side of the field due to Stingley playing hawk over the top on zone off man coverage. He has been baiting teams like crazy lately. He is an insane player. Just need the health to continue.

ROXRAN and Verbal Christ like this.
  7. vince

vince Member

The Texans have had good cornerbacks in their brief history, but they’ve never had a lock-down/shut-down cornerback. Daunta Robinson a very high draft CB was solid, but he never became a shutdown corner; he even had to move to safety (guy could deliver hits).

Generally at any given point in the NFL they are about 2 or maybe 3 shutdown corners in any given year league wide. And to think Stingley looks like he might be amongst the best, wow—- Texans fans are getting excited about the talented young core.

Will Anderson, CJ Stroud, Stingley figure to be amongst the best at their positions; and those are some of the most game changer positions on the teams.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

They are already avoiding him.

9. tmacfor35

AJ boyue that last year for the Texans was pretty close. Jonathan Joseph was always like a Tier 2 guy for sure.

It does feel like Stingley is that S Tier Corner with his ability to take you away.

Texans have been nailing those 1st rounders.

Verbal Christ, RHU525 and vince like this.
  10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I would say that both Johnathan Joseph and AJ Bouye for a year or so qualified as shutdown corners, or at least just below that.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Verbal Christ, Fulgore and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

17. vince

vince Member

After Sauce Gardner won the defensive rookie of the year, many thought the Texans had blown another draft pick. Anyone can see that “the Sauce” is good, but isn’t Stingley elite. For the Sauce seems like he would have been a moment on the lip and lifetime hanging on the hip of “what if’s” pondering. Folks would be here drooling over Stingley’s ball hawking skill, just like the Carolina Panther’s owner is doing with Stroud.

Kudos to the Texans for selecting the guy they saw as the better player, and not flinching when a many started snickering at the Texans choice when Garner had a pro bowl rookie season.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cue the Pulp Fiction "sucking each other's dicks" GIF here. I've loved seeing Stingley play this season, but I think the biggest concern with him was health, and he has demonstrated that health could potentially be an issue for him. I'm glad that his play this season has pretty much dispelled the possibility that his skills might not translate to the NFL, but it'll be years before we know if Sauce or Stingley was the right choice, because a big part of that evaluation will be attendance.

But for right now, put me in the camp of people that are glad we went with Stingley. He seems to be everything we hoped he would be when he is on the field.

raining threes and astros123 like this.
  19. vince

vince Member

I don’t think anybody is patting themselves on the back over Stingley. But what is a thing of marvel is witnessing a ball hawk of a cornerback, one that plays for the team we follow and root for here in Houston. We’ve never had a true ball hawk since I can remember going back to the 90’s when i first started paying attention to the Houston Oilers.

I know we’ve had some good pro bowl level guys, but ball hawks that scare the bejeebers out of opposing QB’s has been a different story.

NFL shelf life is finite, and longevity is special, not destined for everyone. But what is true is that Stingley is a ball hawk of epic proportions; a marvel.

NFL players play in a violent game, if a guy has a career shorter by injury, it was not a mistake by the coaches or team to have selected him; it’s not even the players fault. Injuries will happen to NFL players, some will be minor, others season ending, and some will be career altering catastrophic. Every player will suffer some injuries, it’s just hoping they are manageable and not season altering.

I for one am pleased the Texans selected Stingley, and the Texans picked the better talent of the cornerbacks available.

#499 vince, Jan 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
    raining threes and Shark44 like this.
  20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member