1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 8, 2021.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Well, if McCullers can not make it out of the third inning, that will blow up the bullpen for the next couple of days.

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

3. Nook

Nook Member

Kenni Gomez has his OBP up to .450 now.... he turned 17 years old a couple months ago.

He is playing for the Astros Blue in the DOSL.

He has a 1:1 walk to strikeout rate and a .996 OPS.

There is some talk of playing him some at SS next year, but he has mostly played CF so far.

Considered a smart hitter with exceptional hand/eye coordination ...... but a poor base runner, has been picked off first a couple of times already.

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Really 17?

raining threes likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Yup. He is a Cuban and turned 17 in May or June. Was not higher sought after because he was short during the recruiting process and lacked power. Well his body has changed a lot and he is around 6’0” and is already adding power. Lowest swing and miss percentage in his league and will walk and work the count.

He needs to hit lefties better, get stronger and keep focus on the bases…. But he has the hand/eye coordination and patience part of hitting down.

Quietly the Astros are really happy with their bats from their last international draft class. A lot of upside.

6. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Sounds like he’ll be stateside next year.
    How much did we sign him for? For all the praise heaped on Luhnow, it seems like the team wiffed in every big name Latin American bat we signed. Much more success in the pitching department of course, but an area where Click was justified in adding/replacing scouts IMO.

Htown Legend and prospecthugger like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Gomez at 16 ended up costing the Astros in total around a million dollars. That includes a signing bonus. He was going to sign in the $250,000 range before a couple teams started sniffing around. Was almost signed for $700,000 and Astros made sure they got him.

He wasn’t their biggest expensive, they signed Luis Baez for either $1.25 million or $1.5 million (I don’t remember). He is 18 but with a lot of power and a very strong build. He is a solid athlete and will likely play the corner. He has been okay so far, has hit for power and like an .850 OPS.

Carlos Espinosa is the top pitcher from their signings. Had a deal with the Pirates or Angels that fell apart and the Astros think he is very projectable to be a middle rotation starter if he keeps healthy and works hard. He has a little hot dog in him. He is supposedly hitting 96-97 on the fastball.

The other guy I can think of is Alberto Hernandez from Cuba too. Slick fielding, tall shortstop that is 17ish. They paid a million for him. He has struggled so far but I think they anticipated he might.

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Martinez going 3 in mop up duty, if it comes to that, isn’t the biggest problem around. We have 6 starters and off days coming up. Bullpen can fade a 4 inning start or two OOC it goes that way. If need be and Martinez has to wear 3 or 4 innings they can send him down and bring up Bielak or some such.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Lots of movement in the lower levels lately...

(moves between FCL/DSL teams, like one player going from the Orange team to the Blue team, are not listed here)

Draft picks assigned to Fayetteville

Collin Price
    Zach Dezenzo
    Ryan Wrobleski
    Garrett McGowan

FCL to Fayetteville

Everyone except Loftin was on the Orange team.

Drew Gilbert
    Zach Cole
    Tommy Sacco
    Jackson Loftin

Draft picks assigned to FCL Blue

Basically, all the drafted pitchers went to the Blue team.
    Jacob Melton
    Jackson Loftin (now going to Fayetteville)

To FCL Orange

Logan VanWey - UDFA signed a few weeks ago

Released

RHP Chandler Casey - was with Corpus when he was released
    RHP Danny Cody - was with Asheville when he was released
    SS A.J. Lee - Asheville
    RHP Kyle Gruller - Asheville
    IF Yeuris Ramirez - Fayetteville; signed for $500K in 2016
    UTIL Cody Orr - Fayetteville
    OF Rainier Rivas - Fayetteville; acquired from Angels for Max Stassi at 2019 trade deadline
    OF/1B Victor Mascai - Fayetteville
    RHP Carlos Hiraldo - FCL Blue
    IF Josue Payano - FCL Blue
    RHP Kevin Holcomb - FCL Orange
    RHP Mark Moclair - FCL Orange
    OF Everette Cooper - FCL Orange; international free agent signing from the Bahamas
    IF Ronaldo Urdaneta - FCL Orange; spent most of his time in the system bouncing around as injury filler
    RHP Freilyn De Pena - DSL Orange
    RHP Marcos Eusebio - DSL Blue

Nook, Snake Diggit, Bregatron and 3 others like this.
  10. HTown2017Champs

I had a few ideas as to who were cut candidates, so as someone who follows the Minor League box scores nightly, many of the names were not surprising. I look forward to seeing the new guys show up in the box scores starting this week, and it'll be exciting to watch how they perform.

No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't recognize any of the names that got released. That's encouraging, I guess.

Nook likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook likes this.
  13. HeyBudLetsParty

can someone post this, I’m too cheap to pay 99c for 6 months of The Chronical

14. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I am right on the edge of betting on Forest after reading this article. There is a chance (maybe 1 in 3) that he works all summer, keeps his head about him and comes to Spring training pitching like the Ace we all hoped he could be. His history says there is an equal chance he blows up completely and in the Spring looks as if he will never pitch again. I suppose there is always the possibility that he simply stays the course but what fun would that be? No matter how the Winter unfolds any 24 year old that could be your next Ace is untouchable for another few months.

15. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Click on the picture to read it.

16. Screaming Fist

That's actually a pretty positive interview from Forrest after he's given some in the past that left you wondering about him. Seems to be bought in to the coaching in SL.

Joe Joe likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

His “new pitch”…. LOL… you can’t make this **** up. The guy is changing his grips and release angle while taking a dump.

Just stop it and pitch… he has so far wasted 6 years changing stuff that didn’t need to be changed. Had he kept the course he would be entering his final seasons of team control and would be a free agent.

18. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Maybe I’m reading too much into it but that article makes him seem pompous and conceited. No reference to all the coaching and advice he’s gotten over the years. No, the problem was he had never “realized” what was holding himself back.

Nook likes this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I get your point and agree in principal, but that's a bit of an exaggeration

He was drafted 6 years ago out of high school.

But he should definitely be entering arbitration.

Nook likes this.
  20. HeyBudLetsParty

Damn they got me to shell out the 99c, catch is you can’t cancel online, have to call customer support. Also renews automatically at 4.99 a week, pissing scam.

Nook likes this.