1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 8, 2021.

1. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Colt Gordon pitching in the AFL championship game, going on now. Stream from Astros home page.

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

4. vince

vince Member

Anybody of note in that list that is moving on? None of those names ring a bell for me, but perhaps folks who know the minor league system better, might have more of an analysis.

5. vince

vince Member

Forest Whitley was once the envy of the Houston pitching development, but now he’s almost taking up valuable minor league roster space. He’s been passed up by Valdez, Garcia, Brown, Urquidy, to mention a few.

This seems to be a make or break off season for him. I don’t see too many people having but meh expectations for him. If he figure it out, it’s gravy!

Slyonebluejay and panamamyers like this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Nobody that I expect to amount to much. De Goti and Scrubb reached the majors and either one could resurface somewhere else. Bravo, Donato, and Hernandez could get signed by another team but I wouldn’t expect them to reach the majors. Manea was acquired from the Mets for JD Davis; he was a catcher with power but flamed out in AAA.

vince likes this.
  7. Jeremy Williams

Which of Yanier, Matijevic, and K Lee do you have high expectations for in 2023?

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think there’s a small chance Diaz could be a very good hitter in the big leagues next year. Whether or not he will get a chance I don’t know.

I think Matijevic is likely just a slightly above average bat, although he does have significant upside in his lefty power bat. But if I were betting on his outcome I would say he will hang around for a few years as a good bench bat.

I think Lee needs another half season in AAA to work on his offensive approach. I think he will really struggle if he is made the backup C to start next season. I do still have hope that he can be a pretty good player over the long term though.

vince, cmlmel77 and Stoic Rob like this.
  9. Jeremy Williams

Thanks for the feedback. I think my own expectations are about the same. My concern is that Lee is the one that is going to be forced to go before he is ready. C is the one position that could be difficult to fill through FA. The Vazquez treatment didn't help that cause.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think if the choices are:

Lee in AAA for 2023

Or

Lee on the Astros roster all season, starting 1 day per week, hitting .100, and working all year with Maldy.

Then the 2nd option is better for the Astros and him long term.

BlindHog and Zen Tabak like this.
  11. Jeremy Williams

I agree. I think the Astros are going to have to get creative and find a trade piece.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is a fair point; Lee should get benefit from being in the clubhouse with Maldy. That said I think he hopefully just needs a couple of months in the minors so he won’t miss out on working with Maldy very long.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I have liked Omar Narvaez a lot for the last few years. I would target him or Zunino on a 1-2 year deal, as I think Contreras and Vazquez will end up overpaid.

Jeremy Williams likes this.
  14. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I agree that time with Maldy is more valuable than time in AAA for Lee but I think his bat will be better than he is being credited for.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  15. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Zunino on a prove it deal with incentives or 1-2 years like you say would be a nice get. I think he bounces back. Him and Mitch Haniger would be worth looking at for C/DH

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Barring a slew of minor league veteran signings, it is looking like Houston might have to promote pretty aggressively on the infield and at catcher in the upper levels. Assuming Hensley will make the big league roster, there are only 7 position players returning from this years AAA position player list: Diaz, Lee, Matijevic, Leon, Dirden, Julks, and Costes. For now it’s likely at least one of Diaz/Lee/Matijevic will also make the opening day roster. So that leaves 6-7 open spots for promotion. I’m sure Joe Perez will be assigned to AAA since he showed well in his season ending audition there and he is on the 40 man. And Cesar Salazar seems likely because he is a versatile, high floor player who has been in Sugar Land before. The other 4-5 would come from a list of Wagner, Berryhill, McKenna, Adolph, Kessinger, and Schreiber. Not sure I’m confident any of those guys are ready for AAA right now.

Nook and No Worries like this.
  17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I haven't looked recently ( and I'm sure most would not be taken) but aren't most of those guys rule 5 eligible?

I know Wagner isn't. No sense rushing him. He only has 1 full season in pro ball and looks like a potential replacement for Altuve. 2023 full season AA, 2024 full season AAA.

Give him a look in Houston in 2025 if he still looks good then.

18. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Wagner, and Schreiber probably make the AAA roster based on their Arizona results. Berryhill out of necessity if no minor league catchers are brought in.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree with this. My current guess would be they sign a Drew Butera-type vet catcher and a CJ Hinojosa type AAAA SS, and only keep 12 position players:
    C (3): Lee or Diaz, Salazar, TBD veteran
    IF (4): Matijevic, Wagner, Perez, TBD veteran
    OF (5): Costes, Dirden, Schreiber, Julks, Leon

20. Jeremy Williams

Does anyone have any insight into the international free agent market? Any older guys like Yuli that could step in immediately?