1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 8, 2021.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Would love to see another Brantley-type deal. If Michael Conforto's medicals look good, maybe he gets a short, prove-it contract.

It's an interesting conundrum, the Astros' MO has been to roll the dice on youngsters at the tougher positions to acquire (CF, SS, C). If the market doesn't shape up the way they want, maybe they roll the dice on Taylor Jones/JJ at first knowing that the 1B/LF/DH market is always easier to fill later in the year. Wonder what direction they will go. I'd love to see Mancini resigned on a 3 year/ $30-40m total deal.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Austin Temple allowed a hit, walked one, and struck out 11 over seven shutout innings for the FCL Orange team.

Temple signed as an undrafted free agent out of Notre Dame.

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Opps missed it. My bad.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I can't find reasonable estimates of value on the FAs.

Spotrac has Mancini @$20.5M AAV; Bell @$18.9M AAV and Abreu @$9.1M. These don't reflect performance IMHO.

I'd sign Abreu to 3-$30M ($10m AAV) in a heartbeat. But I think that's LOW in the REAL WORLD.

#2164 Marshall Bryant, Aug 20, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  5. xcrunner51

That Mancini AAV ain't happening. Anthony Rizzo was and is a better player (though 1B only) and signed a 2 year/$32mil contract. Same thing with Brantley: better player, more defensive value: 2 years/$32m. That's gotta be the absolute ceiling on AAV.

He can be a solid, productive ballplayer but he's a slightly above average league bat at a confined to LF/1B/DH. Given his $10m player option, i think $10m AAV is his floor. I could see something like 2/$24m to 3/$42m.

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The Astros have several potential openings for a young player to make next years roster:

C to replace Vazquez/Castro: Lee, Diaz
    1B to replace Gurriel: Diaz, Matijevic, Jones, Perez
    Bench player to replace Aledmys: Diaz, Matijevic, Jones, Perez, Hensley, Leon
    OF to replace Brantley/Mancini (or upgrade from Meyers): Leon, Brinson, Julks, Matijevic, Dirden, Costes

I would say at this point I think Yainer Diaz has the best chance of all the near ready prospects of being on the opening day roster next year as an everyday player.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think Mancini will end up somewhere between $54M/3yrs and $70M/4yrs.

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I guess we will find out.

To be fair, I thought your point was good. I couldn't answer your question.

Shocked it happened this soon.

Rodman23 and Nook like this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My guess is DFA Goodrum

Nook likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So Goodrum is DFA and Dubon is headed to the DL, my guess anyway.

Probably won't get too many PA's, but it's still a chance for him.

12. xcrunner51

Whoosh. That'd be a "don't let the door hit you on the way out" type signing. Mancini's had 1 season over a 1.5 fWAR. That'd be valuing him conservatively at a ~2.3 fWAR player (assuming $8m/WAR in the FA market).

At least according to this article, the top 25 FA position players got paid $5.3m/WAR last off-season. Even if valued at a 2 WAR player (which is generous), that'd be closer to a $10-12m range AAV.

But more power to him if he can get it I suppose.

Nook, prospecthugger and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I am excited to see Hensley but like Matijevic he will sit 99% of the time.

David has earned the callup but the bottom line is that he was the only option ( besides Goodrum- shudder) who could back up the middle infield with both Diaz and Dubon hurt.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Couldn't they 60day dubon?

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If it's a season ending injury I'm sure that's what they'll do, but I don't think it was.

Dubon isn't perfect, but I'll take him over Niko 7 days a week if he'll play again this season.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think there’s a big difference between calling him up for a few days as an injury replacement vs calling him up to play indefinitely. He was going to be added to the 40 man in a couple months anyway.

But good for Hensley. And I think there’s some upside in him. Could be a Joey Wendle type in terms of value.

prospecthugger likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. prospecthugger

I am excited to see Hensley as well. I think he represents a potential in-house replacement for Aledmys, and could pair well with Dubon's ability to play both SS and CF. I hope he gets enough reps that they can evaluate whether or not he can contribute next year.

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Dubon stinks in CF.

20. HTown2017Champs

That really sucks, but it definitely could have been worse. I hope he reigns in on his over-aggressiveness, it can lead to injuries like that, and he has a history of wall collisions going back to his college days,