1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 All Star thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 1, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The thing about Lebron was other than his immense talent, his mom was a single parent and his financial situation was not good growing up.

Bronny is like a little millionaire himself probably.

Your motivation level goes down once the financial situation was settled. It becomes more like a hobby.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I haven't followed him closely so take this grain of salt -- what I have seen he looks like a solid college player, but far from a one and done NBA player. Definitely seems like he would need some years in college before declaring for the draft -- of course being Lebron's son changes that narrative.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  3. i3artow i3aller

Depends on what motivates Bronny imo. BJ Penn for instance was a Hawaiian MMA fighter that came from an incredibly wealthy family and yet he dedicated himself to martial arts fighting featherweights to heaveyweights. That's a sport I can't imagine many get into unless they have no other financial options available to them. You never quite know what drives someone.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Once LeBron was identified as a phenom, probably around 11 or 12, his financial situation was never an issue. At least not on a day-to-day. Remember, the crab-walking Hummer wasn't the first Hummer he got for free.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree with any of this. But how does that make him better than Lebron? Like I don't even understand how this is an argument. Currys not even in the same stratosphere as Lebron..

7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

That team without Lebron woulda been in the lottery.
    what's your point about Lebrons record this year? Howd Curry do last year without his other stars? Oh he missed the playoffs. How's he's doing this year when Draymond doesn't play? Oh not great.

There hasn't been a single player in the history of the league that can drag more trash to the finals than Lebron. That's a fact.

8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

What does this have to do with being better. And this doesn't even make sense cuz Lebron was the leading vote getter in the all star game. If Curry was the face wouldn't he have been drafting instead of Lebron.

Currys team was way better than Lebrons so great he's 3-1. In a losing effort Lebron had the most points rebounds blocks assists and steals of all the players in the finals and lost. What more did you want him to do?

the one time his team was healthy they beat the Warriors. If Lebron ever played with prime Kd they would have 10 rings:

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Do you think that's a compelling point? Most teams will be in the lottery if you remove their franchise player.

The Warriors were the 8th seed, weren't they? Under normal conditions, they would've been in the playoffs.

Also, Curry was at his best in the 2015-16 season.

And how is that relevant to Lebron's 21-20 record this year? Oh, it's not.

It's also a fact that, during Lebron's first tenure with the Cavs, the Eastern Conference was incredibly weak compared to the Western Conference.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get your point. Lebron is 37 are you really asking him to drag a bunch of geezers to a championship this year? I mean Russell Westbrook has shot the ball over the backboard like 10 times this year...

Lebron is averaging almost 30 points with 8 rebounds 7 assists this year. It's pretty crazy that he can sustain this level of play. He has a higher PER than Curry and BPM. By what metric other than team success is Curry having a better year. Lebron is still better and will always be better. It's not close and shouldn't even be a conversation.

Curry is a great player. One of the Best But comparing him to Lebron is crazy. Popularity is the only thing that holds him back from being the GOAT. Every metric favors Lebron, but Jordan is just too popular.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Don't you recall your earlier statement?

" He's 37 years old and he's still better than prime Curry.."

In other words, Lebron's stats this year are empty stats. Do you think that's a fair statement?

12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Yes I recall it and I stand by it. Lebron at age 37 is having a better year than Curry this year. But his team is pure trash. I wouldn't say empty stats, the Lakers might be competing with the Rockets for worst team in the league without him. At least they have a chance when he plays.

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I think Curry is having a better year. The Warriors team is built around him, and they're 40-14 in the games he's played.

And no, the Lakers' supporting cast isn't pure trash. Westbrook is just a horrible fit with Lebron.

14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Westbrook has been hot garbage for 3 years now, AD can't stay on the court.

The rest of the team is made up of old guys and dudes who got kicked to the curb by other teams. Their second best player this year is Malik monk. And no one even wanted him.

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If Lebron were swapped with Curry this year, do you think the Lakers would have a better record?

16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely not. They might have 15 wins. That team is so bad. Nothing Curry could do to save them. On the other hand the Warriors might be better. I definitely think with Lebron the Warriors would be better in the playoffs. Curry started off the year on fire and has really cooled off lately. If he can sustain his early season level of play for the whole year maybe he's finally better than a 37 year old Lebron. But Lebron is shooting and scoring with ease this year and is a better passer, rebounder, defender. His PER is 5 points higher for a reason.

You take Lebron off the Lakers this year and their starting forwards are who? Ariza is like 40 and terrible. Carmelo is still a black hole... are the Lakers playing 5 guards?

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Weird, illogical take. Westbrook has always been at his best when he has the ball. Pairing him with the GOAT off-ball player would dramatically improve his impact. It'd turn their greatest weakness into a quasi-strength, and you think they'd be a worse team? Can you elaborate?

The Warriors would be much worse with Lebron instead of Curry. You're complaining about AD, yet you think Lebron would do better with Andrew Wiggns as his #2? Seriously? Further, Draymond Green would be beyond useless on offense. Given his lack of size and shooting, would he even get much court time with Lebron?

18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Wiggins, Klay, Poole, you put shooters around Lebron and its proven to be successful. Not sure why this Lakers GM decided to put a bunch of non shooters around him. Westbrook is a shell of himself. Westbrook Curry backcourt would be the worst defensive backcourt in the game. That team would be giving up 150 poitns a night routinely. Currys efficiency can only balance out some of westbrooks inefficiency. Its not a knock on Curry. I just hate Westbrook.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is no argument, it is still basketball and it takes 5.

Curry needed someone like Draymond Green and Draymond Green is a eunuch defensive version of who?

Guessed it right. Lebron.

Pairing LBJ with Curry would have been the ultimate video game to reality move and even better than Durant joining the Warriors.

I do not get why grown people argue so much who is better but instead could argue which teammate would make the Top 3 player of All Time even better.

Curry is right there at the top of the mix.........Lebron is big on joining super friends!

If Lebron is a super version of a Swiss Army Knife then Curry is a Sniper rifle with Scope.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The problem with your logic is that you're thinking of prime Lebron. Lebron is currently a shell of his former self. Also, Poole is shooting 34% from the 3pt line.....that's below the league average. And isn't Klay still on a minutes restriction? He's only played 16 games.

And what would Draymond Green's role be on offense? Or would he be benched due to ineffectiveness?

A Lebron-led GSW team would be horrible...in contention for the worst record in the league.

Westbrook has regressed less than you think. We know this because he's had some great games when Lebron was hurt.

The problem is that he's a terrible fit next to Lebron. We all know that Westbrook needs the ball to be effective, but Lebron is ball-dominant and a superior player. As a result, Westbrook's touches are inconsistent, and when he does get the ball, he feels pressured to produce which usually results in an awful, forced shot.

In today's NBA, defense is overrated. It's all about offense. They'd give up 150? Ok, but they'd score 160.