1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022-23 MVP race

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by awc713, Sep 24, 2022.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

This league is flush with more top end elite talent than maybe ever before…so hard to predict MVP…I find the odds interesting:
    Luka 5:1
    Freak 6:1
    Embiid, KD 8:1
    Joker 10:1
    JA, Curry, Tatum 15:1
    Bron 20:1
    Booker, Kawhi 30:1
    Zion, AD 40:1
    Edwards, Jimmy, KAT, Mitchell, Trae 60:1

Harden at 100:1 seems insane to me. I know he took a step back physically and in the media the past few years…if if he’s healthy, if PHI and he ball out, I could see narrative shift in his favor and he could be an MVP sleeper. In any event, this league is loaded with talent and should be a fun race to watch.

2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Someone tell the foreigners that basketball is America's game. Go back to Mexico! :mad:

WestendMassive and Jontro like this.
  3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think Embiid gets it this year if he stays healthy. Philly is going to win a ton of games.

Harden has no shot.

MorningZippo and AXG like this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

PHI isn't balling out without Embiid balling out, and Harden isn't winning an MVP with Embiid balling out.

5. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Harden's odds are almost 100% identical to the odds of Embiid suffering a season ending injury based on physical history.

Basically saying a 100% chance he wins if embiid goes down. Wonder what the bookies know about Philly that we don't.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

my mans zion finna bounce back

7. Space City

Space City Member

I think Giannis and Jokic may suffer from voter fatigue and would require exceptional team success to win. Embiid and Luka are my mvp favorites with other candidates being Trae, Tatum, and Ja depending on how their narratives develop throughout the season. (Things might get crazy if Trae gets it before Luka.) KD and Kawhi could also reasonably make mvp runs. I think Booker would require a lot to win. I have trouble seeing any other players competing for mvp.

awc713 likes this.
  8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Surprised Joker has the fourth best odds.

He's going to have to win 75+ games and lead the stats in every single category before voters will even entertain the thought of MVP.

9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

i would be SHOCKED if he's not BY FAR the best player in the league this coming season and BY FAR the most deserving of the MPV, same as he was last season. That said, even if he blows everyone away and deserves to be unanimous like he deserved last season, i doubt he gets the votes.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

MPJ and Murray will eat into his stats. Jokic's efficiency and WS% and all those analytics will probably improve, but as far as counting stats go, I think those will decrease, and that'll be the knock against him by detractors.

I'm not saying he won't be the best player or top 3 or anything, but it's going to take a herculean effort by Jokic and the Nuggets for him to be voted to a 3rd consecutive MVP.

If the voting was done by a computer program, Jokic would have better odds. But since humans vote on MVP, I think it's an uphill battle for him.

11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

ya that's what i'm saying, most likely he will get screwed. He will deserve it and someone who's not deserving will likely win

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Jayson Tatum is the leader of ESPN's first NBA MVP straw poll for the 22-23 season. Tatum received 47 first place votes and was on 98 of 100 ballots.

Tatum led the way with 759 total points, followed by Giannis Antetokounmpo (36 first-place votes, 687 total points) in second and Luka Doncic (10 first-place votes, 392 total points) in third.

Stephen Curry and Nikola Jokic rounded out the top-5.

Straw Poll Results
    1. Jayson Tatum: 759
    2. Giannis Antetokounmpo: 687
    3. Luka Doncic: 392
    4. Stephen Curry: 250
    5. Nikola Jokic: 195
    6. Ja Morant: 70
    7. Kevin Durant: 61
    8. Zion Williamson: 55
    9. Devin Booker: 40
    10. Joel Embiid: 22
    11. Donovan Mitchell: 10
    12. Anthony Davis: 4
    13. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander: 1

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

how is Sengun not even on that list?? media conspiracy

YOLO likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Jokic's efficiency took another leap, dude is currently shooting an insane 71% TS ... as the back 2 back MVP and lead scorer on his team... every team's gameplan every night is to disrupt him ... and he's got prime Tyson Chandler efficiency on almost 25 ppg as if he's being spoon fed wide open dunks on like 8 ppg.

This dude is a monster, absolutely filthy.

Lovemachine2000 and ElPigto like this.
  15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya as i said before, he will almost certainly deserve it (as right now he's easily the number 1 guy) but will almost certainly get robbed (as you see by how low he is on the list)

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

1. Tatum
    2. Embiid
    3. Zion
    4. Giannis
    5. Jokic
    6. Luka

18. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It would be cool to see Tatum win because he's American and because a Jordan Brand athlete would win the first Michael Jordan MVP award.

19. Ancient Moabite

Wait, what?

Mexico is located in continental America(s), the actual true foreigners/immigrants(king George III Slavic subjects) are those colonial settlers who function under a business agreement styled as the US of A 1776, in the north continent portion, which Mexico is located on southern border of that

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He might, it's definitely more of a narrative award over a deserve award so he will have a chance

ramotadab likes this.