1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/23 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dkamberi25, Jul 26, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

leroy likes this.
  2. Aware

Aware Member

I think that leaves Buffon and Carlos Kameni as the only active players from the 02 World Cup

I mean Joaquin retired as well so yea i think those are the last two

Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I've seen some idiotic news over the past few years but truly nothing more idiotic than this.
    Milan owner/PE manager Gerry Cardinale fired PAOLO MALDINI yesterday. Paolo. Maldini. The face of Milan. You think Milan you think Maldini. The past 30 years. Ok, maybe he was just the face of Milan and nothing else right? No. The guy that helped take over after Leonardo left while the club were still in shambles and helped steer the team in the right directions with signings and loans. Probably the main reason Leao just re-signed with the team. Cardinale decided he wants to be persona non grata in Milan it seems.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-technical-director-Paolo-Maldini-SACKED.html

#483 ferrari77, Jun 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    AroundTheWorld and daywalker02 like this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So much for the resurgence of AC Milan. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

5. ferrari77

It's madness. It has to be. They had a sorta bad/down season after winning the Scudetto last year so instead of trusting Maldini and his guy Massara to turn things around and just for him to be hands off, Cardinale decides to butt heads with them instead.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Looking forward to the UCL Final this weekend between City and Inter. Think City are in a strong position to get the treble this season as long as they stay out of their own way and play Rodri (something they didn't do 2 years ago against Chelsea). I expect City to line up with Ederson in net, Stones and Dias in the middle of defense with Stones joining Rodri in a dual pivot setup when we have the ball. Walker and Ake should be our fullbacks and Rodri in a defensive mid with DeBruyne and Gundogan as the attacking midfielders and Haaland flanked by Silva and Grealish in attack.

While I respect Inter's squad our team should be able to dominate possession and thus the game and so long as they don't have any missteps leading to Inter counters I can't see Inter keeping City out of goal for 90+ minutes.

The only downside was seeing the official news of Bellingham signing with Real. Was holding out hope that he would have been the big City signing like Haaland last year and apprentice with DeBruyne for the next couple seasons before taking over his role in full.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Welcome to Florida!

Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Apple is giving Messi a cut of their profit, dang.

11. Aware

Aware Member

its great news for american/mls fans but i think the impact messi might have is overstated in the same way beckham's impact was overstated

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

14. ferrari77

I don't get it? As far as European Cup, Inter have three. Am I missing something?

Yung-T likes this.
  15. ferrari77

Interesting take although I'm not sure why Bellingham would apprentice with KDB and take over his role because they don't exactly play similar roles.

16. ferrari77

Game tonight/today is interesting on a bunch of levels.
    Saw info on Reddit about how all three times Inter have won the European Cup it was busting Madrid, Benfica and Bayerns attempts to win a treble.
    Then add in how City have had relatively slight troubles with teams that play two strikers and then a back three as well. Also Simone Inzaghi has been pretty good with Inter in cup competitions since he took over. Inter can look at Uniteds performance last week and know they have a better team t(with players in midfield that wont be sleepwalking like Christian Eriksen was) to pressure City and hit them/take advantage in front of goal unlike United.
    On the other hand
    City were probably just playing with their food last week and this is obviously the one trophy they care about the most. They've deserved to win this for several seasons now (pains me so much to say that as a United supporter) and most importantly,
    Pep seems to have learned from his mistakes the last couple of seasons---stop tinkering with your squad ---especially for this cup competition.
    But I hear Sheikh Mansour will be in attendance for the first time in 11 years.
    How perfect would it be if maybe the game is tied going into the final minutes and Edin Dzeko gets in the box to score the winning goal and send Sheikh Mansour home without seeing City win the trophy! That would be delightful for me....but yeah City are winning this.

Yung-T likes this.
  17. astros123

astros123 Member

Man city look like **** in the first half

18. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

LOL lukaku

astros123 likes this.
  19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Lukaku continuing to bottle in big games, some horrible luck for Inter.
    Was hoping I'd never see a sheikh team win the champions league, but guess this is the new norm with how much the premier league is becoming the toy of investors.

ferrari77 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Lukaku is a very underrated defender.

Single handidly won the match for City.

Also, KDB doesn't show up for big matches. Pads his stats in the EPL. Which is why they never won the Cl until Haaland came in and the other teams declined.

AroundTheWorld likes this.