1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/23 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dkamberi25, Jul 26, 2022.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Gutted for Dortmund. What could have been a major accomplishment for Dortmund became another ho hum title for Munich that no one will care about tomorrow

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Dortmund is the Spurs of Bundesliga.

Always finds a way to fail. Bunch of chokers lol.

Bayern treating the rest of the league as farmers for their team and winning all the titles taints the league.

Also diminishes the value of their titles.

It's the worst league to watch out of of the 4 major leagues .

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Too bad, he really did well for us.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. Raz

Raz Member

Ok, a lot happened this weekend...

* Musiala is the next German world star. Said it before, will say it again multiple times. What kind of 20 year old is able to score the decisive goal with such skill and the whole season on the line? (not to underestimate Upamecano's crucial tackle at 0:10)

* Yes, a new champion would've been good for the product Bundesliga. But come on, how much easier are we supposed to make it? All Dortmund had to do was to win a home game against 10th of the league - and they shat the bed big time. I'm not too surprised, don't live far from Dortmund and everyone here talked about the championship celebration and the upcoming parade. Official times and routes were announced by the city officials, as if Mainz only visited to congratulate. Wouldn't be suprised if that affected the players and they thought the Mainz game would be just a walk in the park. Will be a fun day at the office tomorrrow, a lot of colleagues also talked last week about partying at Borsigplatz on Sunday.

* Other than that, for a league that is called boring, it was a fn explosive final matchday. Relegation battle is always thrilling in Germany anyways. Hope the league and clubs find ways to make the product more attractive to international viewers.

* After the relegation battle, I'm worried about next Bundesliga season though. Leipzig, Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim, Augsburg and now Darmstadt and Heidenheim are six teams noone wants to see. That's 1/3 of the league. Hope at least two of them are gone after next year. 2. Bundesliga could break attendance records though with Hertha, Schalke, HSV/Stuttgart, Düsseldorf, Kaiserslautern and Karlsruhe reaching for the top spots.

* The Kahn and Salihamidzic dismissal is correct, but the timing classless. Just after the final whistles the stories broke, so the usual insiders already knew. Kahn must've crossed several lines that they didn't allow him to travel with the team anymore. And now, after all that Nagelsmann drama, we hear contradictory stories from Kahn and the bosses about his own dismissal. This club needs to get their **** together asap and I hope Tuchel is the right man to lead the charge. Can't say a lot about Dreesen, but I guess Salihamidzic's successor will be the more significant decision anyways.

* Like I said, the firing is the right thing to do. Both took a huge gamble in the Nagelsmann sacking and lost. This is an unforgiving business, hence the consequences. To see Salihamidzic emotional during the game eventhough he knew he was gone kind of makes it sad, but he had it coming. Brought in some great talent in Davies, Musiala, Tel and de Ligt, however, in the end only results on the pitch matter.

* Roster-wise, I think Sommer, Sarr and Blind will be gone, pretty sure United will keep Sabitzer for €20-25M. Paying €70M for Cancelo would be way too much, eventhough he'd still be a great fit for the coming years. Maybe they'll find a way to keep him. If a new defensive midfielder will be signed, I don't see much of a future for Goretzka. He's build to play in England, maybe he'll get back on track there. Furthermore, I hope someone is stupid enough to pay for Mané, probably a PL team takes the risk and his payroll away from Munich. Ambivalent feelings towards the Hernandez rumors. He's a great player and would be dynamite next to de Ligt, but his history of injuries causes serious doubts. If the sheiks are willing to bring-up the €80M we paid for him, I'm tending to let him go, especially if Pavard re-signs. Defense looks solid to me with Davies, de Ligt, Upamecano, Pavard, Mazraoui and Stanisic (should be good enough for occasional Bundesliga tasks). For Wanner and Arjon Ibrahimovic I hope they arrange a loan deal, maybe Austria or Netherlands. Tel on the other hand already made clear he's not interested in a loan move - and rightfully so.

* New striker will be probably Kolo Muani from Frankfurt. Oshimen is too expensive, Kane won't leave his comfort zone, Vlahovic played an unconvincing season, so there's not a lot of options left. In 2024 Bayern has to set everything possible in motion to sign Florian Wirtz from Leverkusen. Don't care if he'll cost €100-120M or even more.

Exciting weeks ahead.

ferrari77, AroundTheWorld and Yung-T like this.
  5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I think even worse than Spurs in a way. Spurs don't really flatter to deceive as consistently as Dortmund. Spurs aren't usually in the top two mix. Dortmund over the past decade seem to be have been in the mix but they just consistently go Dortmund-ing.

The Italy, France and Spain (with two clubs) have all gone through periods in the past two decades were one club dominated the league. Now it's Bayern in the Bundesliga. It's not great for non-Bayern fans or neutrals overall but it happens. What else can Bayern do? They can't hold Dortmund or RB Leipzig's hands and get them to the finish line.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm a Bayern fan, and I would want someone else to win the league (while Bayern wins the Champions League ;)). But I would like for it to not be Dortmund. Would prefer someone who comes out of nowhere...Freiburg, Union Berlin, or some "traditional" team like Gladbach (although that is extremely unlikely).

Dortmund like to portray this image as the "poor" underdog, but they have made HUGE money with player transfers, they are publicly listed, they have the largest stadium, and they are by no means a poor team. Their whiny b**** act has been wearing thin on me. Also, they will never win a championship as long as Reus plays. He's the Harden of the Bundesliga lol.

Raz, daywalker02 and Yung-T like this.
  7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I was thinking that Dortmund more Asenal'd the league since Spurs are never really a threat. Arsenal actually led for most of the season (actually set the record for most days in the lead only to not win the title).

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Seems like we'll lose both of them, this summer will be quite turbulent.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I'm ok with that.

Should have never let David Alaba leave.

11. Raz

Raz Member

Yung-T, AroundTheWorld and JumpMan like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Congrats Sevilla, so unexpected. :D:D

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I never wanted Kane anyway. If Vlahovic is anything like Mandzukic was, I'd love it.

Yung-T likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

New Hoeneß interview in SZ, interesting if true.

Also told Brazzo that they need a proper Lewandowski replacement because he guarantees 25+ goals a season.

#476 Yung-T, Jun 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    daywalker02 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Another WTF.....

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member