1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022-23 A Year of decisions for most of our roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 27, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Love love love the draft, and think we got some great pieces that fit perfectly into our growing team.

However, we have a TON of young players, who all need playing time and decisions on whether they are part of the future or should be traded for future assets, either draft picks or bundling 2 or 3 for a player that might fit better.

I am going to assume that we KNOW that Green and Jabari are going to be built around - however, these are the players I think we need to use this year to get a decision on, and if it is time for them to go, move them on while they have unrealized growth potential.

1. Nix - the Rockets think he is a lottery pick level talent - but he needs to be given the keys to the backup PG spot and find out if he is, or if he needs to move on.

2. Ty Ty - See above, I think he will start in the Gleague, but if Nix is it, no room for Ty Ty, but he needs to be given a real chance too.

3. Kenyon Mjr - I mean with Eason, Smith and Tate there it is crowded, and while I believe at 6'6" he has potential to be our starting SF, but I don't seem him getting a chance to prove it, and I think he knows it, which is why he wants out.

4. Tate - This is a make or break year for him in Houston, clearly not in the NBA, but he has to be a PLUS 3pt shooter and he just isn't yet. If not, we need to move him to a contender and let him help them win, by the time we are ready to compete, we will have much better overall players than Tate if he can't hit 3s at a good percentage.

5. Eason - is he going to be good enough to play SF, or is he a PF? How does he fit with Smith and Green?

6. Christopher - Where does he fit? Backup SG? Backup PG? I mean it is getting very crowded in the guard area and he is too short to play SF....he might be odd man out and be packaged for future picks.

7. Garuba - Is he going to be our PF or C ??? How does he fit? Defensively no doubt but can he hit a 3 and develop and offensive game? Might also be moved due to crowded team with no playing time to grow.

8. Mathews - Do we need a 6'5" 3pt sharp shooter? Yes, but probably like the 11th or 12 man a guy who comes in if players are injured, but is not a regular member of the rotation.

9. Queen - Great G League player, but probably not efficient enough for the NBA.

Now some big names.

10. KPJ - we will need a decision on him and how much we are willing to commit to him fairly soon, let's say he has a great year this year, and a team comes in and offers him a HUGE deal, are we prepared to let him go as he is budding into a star player? This is tough.

11. Sengun - Man, I love the Turkish Delight, but does he fit with our drive and dish offense? He looks like someone that should be backup in Denver to Jokic - a guy you can build around and he does give us a different look, but Unless he can shoot the 3 better, he is going to clog the lane for our guys that need the space to drive and dish.....this is a big year for a decision on him.

Bottom line is I think we have to be prepared for MASSIVE roster turnover as we leave the "Focused on the Draft" stage, and move into the actual BUILDING a winning team era.....

Stone has his work cut out for him for sure.

DD

2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Agree with most you've said... However, is it really a MASSIVE roster turnover when most of these guys mentioned are backups on a good team? Or is it simply, filtering out who needs to go go , in order to acquire winning proven talent in a few years.

TheJuice likes this.
  3. DaDakota

Well if you have a roster of 15, and you are sure of only 2 - 4, that is pretty massive in turnover. And, some of these guys are good, but we may need to package 3 for 1 who fits better or is already proven.

I am just thinking that we may all get attached to players and in a rebuild that can change quickly. I really like where the franchise is right now, but there is no way you have enough playing time to find out about everyone - which means we might end up releasing players that MIGHT be the guy in 2 years but we just didn't have the time in Houston.

DD

Corrosion and BallSoHarden like this.
  4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Well speaking for myself, I can't recall the last time I've been attached to a fan favorite since Sam Cassell. But I understand that alot of folks do... I'd gladly let go of a few good players for a potential 2nd or 3rd option ( Ayton, John Collins, etc) if it means we get back to winning.. Even if those players become better on another team.. You can't hit on all of em and expect to keep them here for years to come..

DaDakota likes this.
  5. DaDakota

Agreed, that was kinda my point that maybe trades are as important or more important than the next draft? If we can identify the 6 players we want for sure, or 5, we can start trading off others for picks or other players that might fit better.

I would like to see a veteran presence on the team that can help teach all these youngsters how to win.

DD

javal_lon likes this.
  6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Unless one of our kids has a breakout all star year, we will still be focused on building through the draft.

I think people have this idea in their head that every player you draft lives up to their potential. Some won't pan out. And, you may not even notice it right away. Maybe they hardly get any game time and their contract just expires or they get added to a trade as contract filler down the road.

The newly drafted players will have to earn their spot on the team. Once we're done pushing out the veterans we won't just keep pushing out players when we draft new ones (except top 5 picks obviously). We need to get comfortable with a newly drafted player battling for the position of someone else still on their rookie contract, that's how this works.

Also, most of our players don't have much trade value. Holding onto them for 4 years to see if they can have a breakout season will be more valuable than the 2nd rd pick or whatever crums we get back in return. I could easily see one or more of Nix/Christopher/TyTy fitting this situation.

7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Biggest idiot on this forum

8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

A few of my own thoughts...

I think TyTy locks down the backup spot by the end of the season. I'm not yet buying the "Nix would have been a lottery pick" hype.

KMJ doesn't factor a great deal into my thoughts. He's proven enough to be a somewhat intriguing prospect. That's it. The same also applies to some degree with respect to Garuba. Both have a lot to prove before I lose any sleep over losing them.

Christopher, to me, will be a perfect sixth man in the Eric Gordon role. This will be especially important given our bench will be very defensive-oriented.

Mathews is locked up for cheap. He's a perfect back-end role player.

I strongly believe KPJ will be re-signed. I just think the Rockets see him and Green developing well together, and they seem to be developing chemistry. The only way I see him not re-signing is if he craters next season. He is restricted. If he plays pretty well, match a reasonable contract. If he plays like a budding star, match the big deal he'll get in free agency. We'll have a ton of cap space.

Sengun, in my eyes, is perfect within a KPJ/Green/Smith core. He'll act as the point-forward that will open everything up for those guys.

Now for my out-there prediction: Not only will the Rockets keep Gordon, I wouldn't be surprised if they extended him at the end of his contract on a year-to-year basis. Fight me, I don't care. I see no really extreme need to trade him like there was with Wood.

Milos, joshuaao, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.
  9. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Nix looks bad not sure what the hype is about, actually I’m not even sure there is any hype. Him and tyty are the only true points though I think they should battle it out this year kpj and Green can be the 2 guards

Houston288South likes this.
  10. alethios

alethios Member

I would add that I see Garuba as the backup 5 which is why Bruno doesn't have a spot on this roster. But definitely, TyTy is the better option at backup PG. When Nix got some NBA PT, he didn't impress much - his game is more suited to the G-League.

11. DaDakota

He looked amazing in the Gleague, he barely got any consistent time in the Rockets lineup - so I want to see him get 15-20 mins per night to see what he can do as he settles into a consistent role.

Ty Ty will be leading the Vipers all year.

DD

Corrosion and No Worries like this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Solid post, @DaDakota. I think Sengun just needs to be able to hit enough 3s to keep defenses a little honest. 30% at worst. His real job will be to find whichever one of Jalen or Jabari is open, either on the perimeter or cutting. If he can do that, play above average interior D, and score a few buckets down low, he'll be fine.

DaDakota likes this.
  13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Op types a huge a$$ paragraph with thought into it.

If u don't agree state so otherwise. Your post literally provides no Xtra Insight or anything really.

I personally think it's quite premature to b deciding the fate of some folks sengun Eason, garuba since it takes sometime more than 1-2 years to decide if that Player is worth investing in.

hahachui, Milos, No Worries and 7 others like this.
  14. alethios

alethios Member

Something else to consider going into the 2022-2023 season.

ico4498 likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

even a broken clock . . .

King1 and topfive like this.
  16. conquistador#11

Pretty much agree with everything except 11.
    They're all good problems to have.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

that's actually smart because OKC owns our picks after that, we can't afford to suck. We actually need to sign whoever is willing to sign with us

18. DaDakota

Certainly true, however you have to make decisions quickly because holding onto too many of these guys and trying to play too many of them will r****d the growth of the ones you desire, and if you don't play them will create negativity on the roster ala KMJ.

DD

Corrosion likes this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

In 2023, this team is likely too good for a top 5 draft pick, but nor will they be good enough to make the playoffs. So 2023 to me is about getting the right pieces in place (balance the roster) and development.

2024 is when there will be the cap space to try and land impactful FA's. Build chemistry.

2025. We try to win something?

When you look at team rebuilds over the years, in many cases, it works out that one different move. One different trade. One different roster decision may have made all the difference.

Just saying 2023 could be pivotal with long lasting future effects based on what decisions are made. Its an exciting time.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yawwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn! Same old regurgitated takes. Now that the draft is over we have a couple of weeks of summer league and then a big bunch of nothing until pre-season. Now that the Kyrie saga is over there is virtually nothing exciting to talk about.

King1 likes this.