1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. Landry's Tooth

You be praying you get the Harden concerned about defense.

You get bad Harden and that's a lottery team with that backcourt defense.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

With each of those successive trade proposals, Iko was like Neo, facing first one Agent Smith, then another trade proposal, now 2 Smiths, now 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 of us Agent Smiths jumping all over his ass until he's forced to fly away.

snowconeman22, Deckard and OremLK like this.
  3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

#20 and next year's Nets' FRP in a sign-and-trade for Cam Johnson and Nic Claxton
    Extend KJM
    Draft Amen

Thompson / Green / Johnson / Smith / Sengun
    KPJ / Tate / KJM / Eason / Claxton

I expect some may say this is too much for Johnson and Claxton, but I really like both and they round out our team well. For the Nets, this gives them the opportunity to tank, as needed, for one season.

Corrosion and carl_herrera like this.
  4. Landry's Tooth

I like Cam Johnson's shooting but there's not much else to like...

5. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

That Cam / Claxton trade is a good idea (except that Claxton is a one year rental). If the Nets end up trading Mikal to Portland this seems like something they’d do alongside it.

I really like the idea of trading the Nets back 1 or 2 of their draft assets (2024 and 2025 swap specifically), and keeping the 2026 and 2027 picks.

I’d like to give the Nets incentive to try to do a short tank, and then if they mess up or their pick busts we get to pick up the pieces. Give them just enough rope to hang themselves.

Plus the ‘24 and ‘25 drafts are blah, but the ‘26 and ‘27 drafts have Cooper Flagg and Cam Boozer, the best American prospects at their age in a looong time.

jim1961, comrade, Houston77 and 2 others like this.
  6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think it gets you back in the playoff picture with upside especially when you consider KAT is 28, Jabari,Sengun,and Green are under 22 and if they keep KPJ, he's like 24. Eason is young also. In terms of pg, if you're running the offense through KAT and Sengun, then KPJ can play spot shooter and defender or you can get a deadeye shooter like Seth Curry to play the psuedo pg spot. The key is the frontline that should have an advantage and shrink positionally with Eason as 1st swing front court player off the bench.The Rockets need more adults in the building. I would offer that #4 and #20 for KAT along with a player, but not the farm.

raining threes likes this.
  7. raining threes

I think I would like this.

Gotta get better on the defensive end.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

I like this one if Miller ends up falling to #4 and the Rockets feel like they have to take him. Gives us a chance to draft the best guard who falls to #10 in a guard-rich class. (Cason Wallace, maybe?)

10. Landry's Tooth

Downside of course is wasting cap space to add another young player who may not have a place to play.

More in favor of moving 20 for a future pick...

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Maybe, depends what other moves the team makes. Some other players might get combined into a package deal for a veteran (hopefully not our highest-upside core players).

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This is exactly the type of deal the rockets should be looking for. I'll be pretty annoyed if Stone doesn't at least do one move to trade a larger contract into our cap space to either get a pick or a player. It gives us more options than the handful of good players that are free agents.

However, I don't think the mavs do this deal. That's not because it's bad but I just think they want to use the 10th pick to get help for Luka not to cut salary. Also, isn't Bullock's contract non guaranteed next year anyway @BimaThug ? They can just cut him and save more money than they would have by trading for Tate.

I think my previous trade idea of Tate for Covington and #30 is more realistic. The Clippers will be more than willing to drop a player that was out of their rotation and probably weren't expecting much of a return for #30.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

KAT does not play defense. I don’t think Ime would have much interest in him.

saleem likes this.
  14. Landry's Tooth

To Rockets:
    Tyus Jones
    Desmond Bane
    Brandon Clarke

To Grizzlies:
    Mikal Bridges
    Kevin Porter Jr

To Nets:
    2023 - #20 pick from Houston
    2024 - #1 pick of Brooklyn from Houston
    2024 - #1 pick of Washington from Houston
    2025 - pick swap from Houston

We get a defensive big in Clarke, a capable PG in Jones, and one of the best young 2 guards in the NBA...

We also keep pick #4 and most of our trade bait. #4 and Green should net a decent player in trade...

I don't think Memphis does it. I think they want Bane and Bridges together and may worry about a kpj/morant backcourt..

Jalen seems like an overpay in place of KPJ...

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Bullock's contract is partially guaranteed, so the Mavs (already likely to be a taxpayer, probably even an apron team) would have to eat over half of his salary next season. Tate gives them more than the declining Bullock, at about the same cost of the Mavs waiving Bullock and signing a vet minimum guy.

That said, I understand that the Mavs probably don't do that deal. Just trying to throw out an idea that is at least somewhat realistic.

16. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Dame to Houston, then Tate, Christopher, Garuba, Nix, #4, #20, and all of the Brooklyn picks to Portland:4

PG: Lillard / Washington
    SG: Harden / Porter, Jr.
    SF: Green / Martin, Jr.
    PF: Smith, Jr. / Eason
    C: Sengun / Naz Reid (sign to full MLE) / Kaminsky (resign)

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Y'know as down as I've been on Miller, if we could give up a smorgasbord of picks and some other guys (Tari, KJ Martin, Tate, KPJ) to get both Miller and Amen, I think they would fit perfectly together as a pair. If the forum is divided now over these two guys as potential #4 picks, imagine how bad it would get if they were both on the Rockets?

Begun, the GARM wars have. :p

But seriously, imagine a lineup of Amen/Green/Miller/Jabari/Sengun, with Udoka preaching "defense, defense, defense" to that largely quick (except Alpi), long, athletic team?

If Charlotte picks Scoot (which I still kinda think they ultimately will), are there any realistic trades where we could get #3 without giving up #4/Green/Smith/Sengun?

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

#3 offense
    #27 defense

Williamson likes this.
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Maybe but it would be extremely difficult. I’m also not sure it really makes sense. In that lineup you are still starting 2 rookies, a 20 year old and two 21 year olds.

You are also not using your cap space efficiently. If you use it how many minutes is going to that money? The above lineup will continue to lose because of extreme youth. It’s an odd mix. If it were somehow to happen though it would be an extreme amount of potential talent which if it worked out I’m not sure how you would pay everyone as well.

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Draft Brandon Miller at #4
    Trade #20+KMJ+Christopher to get up for Caspn Wallace.

SnT deal trades Tate and Garuba to Memphis for Dillon Brooks ( 3 year 15 million per)

Sign Harden to 4 year 144 million with the 4th year partially guaranteed at 18 million.

Brook Lopez 2 year 25 million per.

Sengun/Lopez
    Smith/Eason
    Miller/Brooks
    Green/KPJ
    Harden/Wallace/Ty