1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The times just not right. Their ownership has to get thirsty for a tank. Deadline or so. We are their best trade partners for a tank and they have no other avenue to relevance for 2 years.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know man, I can think of a way to build from what they've got so I think Marks will have several ways up his sleeve. I remember before they made the playoffs (right before signing Kyrie) they had NOTHING. Like no picks, no cap space and nothing worth keeping on the payroll. They turned that team from 20-something wins into a .500 team anyway just with internal improvement, minor signings and small trades.

This time around they have several great assets and picks. Bridges is worth 4+ picks, Cam Johnson people want to sign him to $20m+ and Claxton is worth that too. They have some ok future picks. They are a top 5 destination in the NBA. I honestly think they will be fine and yes if it takes 2 years, it takes 2 years. That's less than most rebuilds.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It's amazing how quickly a team can recover when they have 3 top flite all-stars to trade away!!

Personally I think they should take the Simons and 3 for Bridges deal - but even if they don't, it still sets a market for where their price on Bridges is. Greater than that!

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not sure if posted already, I can't keep up lol

lionaire and saleem like this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

...and still better than Daishen Nix

saleem likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yeah, but so is pretty much every NBA player, to be fair lol

jch1911 and OremLK like this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They may not be desperate .... but lets cut to the chase. They will find it very difficult to improve their roster.

The Rockets own their draft picks until 2027.

The picks they do have are expected to be very late picks.

They have to stars.

If they use both draft picks (#21 & 22) and match Cam Johnson at the MLE, they'll be over the tax line and $4m away from the first apron, unable to spend the NT-MLE as doing so would push them over the apron.

You mention it being easy for them to sign stars - what stars are they signing with no cap room.

What stars are they trading for while over the tax line and the first apron while trying to use Simmons contract to match money with? Simmons contract is more toxic than John Wall's was. It would cost them multiple picks to move it.
    They aren't getting much for Spencer Dinwiddie or Joe Harris on expiring ~$20m contracts.

They went 13-15 after trading Durant. That's .464. That equates to about 38 wins over a full season would have placed them outside the play in group in the East.

They turned down 4 picks for Bridges. They owe the Rockets 2 outright picks (24-26) and 2 swaps (25-27) all unprotected. No, I wouldn't give them all of that in return for Bridges as I think at least two of those picks are at worst late lottery and could be much better.

I think if they could tank, they'd jump at the chance .... If they aren't desperate, they should be. They are going to be bad either way.

Hemingway likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

They'll dump an expiring contract using one of those late picks and get under the tax line. Already discussed in a previous post, if they don't have cap space they will just trade for players. Like a lesser Lakers or Clippers, there are plays they can and will get to force their way there.

LAL, LAC, BKN and NYK are playing on different terms. The thing that has plagued those teams is bad management, which is not an issue the Nets have.

Again as I said in the other post, what you're describing here is what you think they should do. That's different than what they are doing and will do. What they are doing is turning down 4 picks for a non-franchise player. That does not mesh at all with the idea they're going to tear it down. Their hands are not tied, it's just that you're looking at time differently. If they can do it in less than 3-4 years, they will do it because it will still be faster than a full-on rebuild and with less risk involved too. That may be too long for you but not for Tsai.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

How about a guy we haven't talked about much as a trade target--wall puncher Jaden McDaniels from the T-Wolves? Could be a buy-low opportunity on a guy that's currently a better 3-and-D player than anyone on the roster.

Would love to pair him with Tari at the 3 to be a couple of good defenders. Not sure what the cost would be in terms of assets--he's still young, but he's an RFA after this upcoming season, so it's entirely possible Minnesota may be willing to listen give the cap mess they've put themselves in with the Gobert trade.

In free agency, I've kind of solidified on my top two targets being Bruce Brown and Brook Lopez. I think they both bring exactly what we need on and off the court--defense, spacing, basketball IQ. Both have been on winning playoff teams and can help establish a winning culture, if you buy into that stuff.

If we came out of the offseason looking like this:

Guards
    Jalen Green
    Amen Thompson OR Scoot Henderson
    James Harden OR Kevin Porter Jr (trade KPJ if Harden signs with us)
    Bruce Brown

Forwards
    Jabari Smith Jr
    Tari Eason
    Jaden McDaniels
    Kenyon Martin Jr

Centers
    Alperen Sengun
    Brook Lopez
    Usman Garuba

Franchise Player
    Josh Christopher

I think I'd be very happy with an offseason like that (as long as we don't sign Harden to some massive, crippling contract).

Williamson likes this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We're talking about two different things:

You - Rebuild in 3-4 years.

Me - The coming season, they will be a lottery team.

peleincubus likes this.
  11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

This. 100%. They can use bridges to try to buoy up the team for a couple years until they have cap space. Bridges is there only premium asset.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tilman is impatient and wants to get something done, I do not see the same urgency for Joe Tsai this offseason.

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

We're just differing on what we think their management can achieve without rebuilding. Marks has shown he is among the best at doing a lot with a little so I have greater faith in him than to think he just sees the two options of treadmill team or trade with the Houston Rockets.

I actually don't think they'll rebuild at all. I think they're just going to re-tool over a 2-3 year span after dumping Dinwiddie's contract with a late FRP to get away from the apron issues you mentioned. I would be 0% shocked if in 2 weeks we heard that Jaylen Brown wants his own team in Brooklyn for example and is willing to force his way there. I would be 0% surprised to hear they dumped Ben Simmons on the Jazz using 2 picks and Cam Thomas (which would put them 1 year away from having FA money in a good FA class 2024). There are just so many options when you have a few picks and a few great assets I'm sure they'll figure something out even if you don't like these ideas.

I also don't think they care if they're in the lottery next season, they will always operate as an above the cap team since they are willing to spend infinitely and are an FA destination. Teams like that regularly have people forcing trades there. The rules are just different for them just as they are for the Clippers and Heat for example.

It seems to me their patience is just more than ours and they don't care what picks they give us. That the picks they gave us are unprotected is irrelevant to them, even if we sent them their picks I think they would send them back out for immediate upgrades >> which means it's only worth trading with us if we overpay.

jch1911 likes this.
  14. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Don't be surprised if Dinwiddie ends up a Rocket. Coaches are familiar. He's a serviceable / above average combo guard - who can play SF in a pinch. Plus his contract expires next year - providing a chance for Rockets to be a player in free agency in 2024.

BaselineFade and PatBev like this.
  15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I was actually thinking that if the team hasn't already decided to piss all the FA money away, and there's no one good left out there and we have some space left over... Dinwiddie's expiring contract is a good idea and he can provide some backup PG depth. I hope we're not starting him because he loses focus on defense over long stretches of games, but maybe Udoka can motivate him. If we're out of options and want to roll over some of the cap space, something like Dinwiddie for depth is not a bad idea. We'd get a late FRP for it, which is a good sweetener for trades.

Gives you the option to go after trade targets with out picks or let it expire for cap saving.

#1595 Mathloom, May 23, 2023
    Last edited: May 23, 2023
    jch1911 and OremLK like this.
  16. PatBev

PatBev Member

Sign and trade package for Cam & Dinwiddie for a KMJ and a couple picks is the way

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Amazing post. I'm Williamson and I approve this message.

Corrosion, Space City and OremLK like this.
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Watching Emoni Bates
    Judah Mintz
    Mike Miles
    Ben Sheppard
    Tristan Vukcevic

20. Landry's Tooth

Hmm....

Harden
    3x40

Reaves
    4x20

Green, KPJ, Tate, #4 for Jaylen Brown

#20 draft point guard of future

Harden
    Reaves
    Brown
    Smith
    Sengun

I like Reaves but think I prefer Grant Williams for his experience in what Udoka wants to run...