1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

4. Houston Rockets - Brandon Miller, F, Alabama
    There’s a case to be made that Miller has the highest floor of any player in this draft after Wembanyama because of his combination of size and shooting. At 6’9, Miller showed knockdown shooting potential during his freshman season at Alabama by hitting 38.4 percent of his threes on 7.5 attempts per game, while making 86 percent of his free throws. Miller is deadly on spot-ups and can bend opposing defenses by running off screens to hit shots. His ceiling will rest on his development with the ball in his hands. Miller doesn’t have a ton of burst as a driver to create separation against his man, and while his finishing got better in the second half of the season, it remains a bit of a question mark. Miller will also have to answer questions about his presence at the murder of 23-year-old Jamea Harris in January despite not being charged.

20. Houston Rockets - GG Jackson, F, South Carolina
    Jackson is a huge forward with shot-creation potential who is still growing into his game as the youngest prospect in the draft. The No. 1 high school junior in the country before reclassifying late, Jackson spent his freshman year initiating the Gamecocks’ offense and flashing tough shot-making skills. At 6’9, 215 pounds, Jackson is a fluid if not super explosive athlete who could be a mismatch problem at the next level as he continues to learn how to leverage his physical gifts. The issue with Jackson right now is he doesn’t read the game very well — he finished the season with 86 turnovers to 27 assists — and still needs to prove himself as an off-ball player in terms of his catch-and-shoot efficiency and ability to impact the game with cuts, offensive rebounds, and hustle plays. There’s some real upside here, but it’s going to take a patient team who can get him to embrace a winning role.

sirjesse likes this.
  2. Rockets34Legend

3. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I wouldn't be shocked if Amen ends up being better than Scoot and/or Miller.

Rudyc281, OremLK, cbass and 2 others like this.
  4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Certainly possible. He has the physical tools. If he can fix his shot (which is a major if), the sky’s the limit.

Rudyc281 and OremLK like this.
  5. Rockets34Legend

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

If we can't trade up for Scoot Henderson and he doesn't somehow drop to #4, I want Amen Thompson in the draft. But I don't know if I want him starting and playing 30 minutes a game right away like Jabari did last season. He's too raw, and we want to be a lot more competitive this season. So yeah, I'd say let's develop him the "right way" and have him come off the bench as a rookie, with the hope that he'll start next year. Here are my thoughts:

Draft: Amen Thompson
    Sign: Brook Lopez
    Sign: Bruce Brown for 4 years/$56M

I would also explore trading KPJ + draft considerations for a veteran point guard who can play defense and knock down threes. Names on my list would include Mike Conley, Tyus Jones, CP3, Marcus Smart. But I could see KPJ sticking around and playing reduced minutes (more often at the 2 than last year) if a good trade doesn't present itself and we don't end up signing Harden or FVV.

Bruce Brown is flexible and has a lot of dog in him. Great addition who is a pretty good 3P shooter, good defender, fantastic hustle guy.

Three man frontcourt rotation with Bari/Sengun/Brook as the veteran mentor.

JoeBarelyCares and Mathloom like this.
  7. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Long shot, but...

Trade #4+ HOU 2025 FRP (top 5 protected) + KMJ + Garuba to ATL for Murray + Colins
    ATL sheds salary + chemistry is not working. Murray is redundant with Trae & due a pay day next year. Instead of getting 3 picks for Murray, ATL gets 2 (including a Top 4) and Rox keep 1 for taking on Collins' contract. Hawks use KMJ + Garuba + MLE to replace Collins' production. IIRC Udoka coached Murray in SA.

Trade #20 + Tate + Nix to BOS for White
    Boston looking to shed salary as well. Tate helps rebuild bench at lower cost. Brogdon & White seem redundant. Celts use pick 20 to find backup F.

Sign F Grant Williams (BOS) 4 years, $80M (18, 19, 21, 22) team option on Year 4
    Sign C/F Naz Reid (MN) 4 years, $47M (10, 11, 12.5, 14) team option on Year 4
    Use Bi-Annual Exemption on C Thomas Bryant (DEN)
    Sign Tony Bradley on cheap deal

Roster
    Murray - KPJ - TyTy
    Thrilla - White - JayGup
    Bari - Williams - ???
    Collins - Tari - Bradley
    Alpi - Naz - Bryant

I think that team could compete in West & playoffs. Top 5 off the bench could step in and start when needed.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

10. Aruba77

I don’t see a problem. Amen/Jalen is our backcourt of the future. Now trade Sengun, KJ and #20 for #5 and Duren. Grab the other Thompson or Whittmore with #5. Boom, you’ve got defensive and play making upgrade. Use cap space to get shooters.

Duren
    Jabari/Tari
    Tari/Asar or Whittmore
    Green
    Amen
    Add vets with cap space

A collection of unreal young talent.

#1470 Aruba77, May 17, 2023
    Last edited: May 17, 2023
    JoeBarelyCares and randerson like this.
  11. Landry's Tooth

I think signing Grant Williams is a no brainer. He shoots 40% from 3 and plays defense like Tate.

I think if Harden is out of the picture:

To Boston:
    Jesean Tate

To Rockets:
    Derrick White
    Top 3 protected #1 2024 and 2026

Celtics get a cheaper replacement for Grant Williams. Derrick White spent his first couple years under Ime and would be a good backup 1/2.

Celtics shed salary, add a young rotation piece. Rockets push draft capital into the future.

White for Tate eats 11 million in cap space.

Figure 16 million for Grant Williams.

Now you've used 27 million.

Then move #4 pick and Kenyon Martin to Raptors for OG Anunoby.

That costs you another 16.6 million.

Now you're about 43 million.

Then trade:

Kevin Porter Jr
    1 Brooklyn #1
    1 Boston #1

For
    Jrue Holiday

Gives Milwaukee a shake up and saves them cap space while reloading future picks lost dealing for Holiday.

62 million in cap space and you've added 3 player who are often all nba defense.

Holiday / White
    Green / Christopher
    Anunoby / Williams
    Smith / Eason
    Sengun / Garuba

Then just need to find a backup 5...

BaselineFade likes this.
  12. Rockets34Legend

4. Houston Rockets: Amen Thompson (Overtime Elite, PG/SG, 2003)

Expect the Rockets to try to move up to No. 2 for Henderson, who'd form an explosive pair with Jalen Green. But Thompson is the better passer with far more size and similarly special explosiveness.

Houston would play Thompson at point guard and surround him with shot-makers like Green and Kevin Porter Jr. The Rockets would then have arguably the NBA's most athletic starting guard/wing trio, although Thompson's playmaking and defense are what will ultimately separate him from other high-fliers.

20. Houston Rockets (via Clippers): Brandin Podziemski (Santa Clara, PG/SG, Sophomore)

While some teams think of Podziemski as a sleeper, he might not be there for those hoping to steal him in the second round. He'd boost the NBA's No. 27 offense and worst three-point shooting team with his high-level creativity and shot-making, even if it's for the Rockets' lackluster second unit.

PatBev likes this.
  13. Damion Laverne

More reason to hate Silas. The lack of development has killed us

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

"shooting is not the problem its not having a "pure" point guard" :rolleyes::D

JoeBarelyCares and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. daytripper

daytripper Member

In a weird way this kinda reminds me of when the Warriors were getting those lottery picks. Everyone knew before hand they should've taken a more ready prospect like Haliburton and they go and take Wiseman because he was rated higher with a supposedly higher ceiling. Everyone knew they probably needed to be trading picks but they draft raw Kuminga and Moody.

If someone like Scoot or Miller don't miraculously fall into Stone's lap they need to seriously consider trading out of #4 for player(s) that can help immediately in this developmental process. The team was unwatchable this past season which never should happen with the last two #2 picks on the roster.

16. dmoneybangbang

I'm still pretty keen on Dejounte Murray and any trade would have to mean he signs with Rockets. Assuming the Hawks are open towards it, we could probably get him for not too much, especially if we also took back Clint Capela and his 2 years remaining at $20 mil per. May require a third team for that. I'm sure several will scoff at it, but I feel like something like this would put as back to competence. This isn't my plan A, just something I find plausible:

Murray
    Green
    Whitmore
    Jabari
    Capela

TyTy
    KMJ
    Eason
    Sengun

You could also draft Amen at 4 and not have to rush on his development, but I'm really starting to like Cam.

Corrosion likes this.
  17. Aruba77

agreed shooting needs to be a priority…along with a point guard ;)

just want to point out that Tari steadily improved his shooting throughout the year, finishing with 34% (better than Jalen and Jabari). If he can add two more percentage points to that in year 2 we’ve got a good one.

jch1911 likes this.
  18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t hate it, but how do you get there?

jch1911 likes this.
  19. jch1911

jch1911 Member

See my post above, but I think you have to give up #4 to get Murray.

I think @dmoneybangbang was suggesting some combo of KPJ, Garuba, & picks to get Murray & Capela

theDude likes this.
  20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s hard to believe that you could get Murray for a FRP one year after they gave up 3 to get him. But he is going into the final year and there must be some concern about extending him if they were to make him available. Giving up our best shooter in KPJ is not ideal, but there would still be around $40m available, so it’s definitely something I could get behind.

#1480 theDude, May 19, 2023
    Last edited: May 19, 2023
    jch1911 likes this.