1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Welcome! I’d do it.

Hive5 likes this.
  2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Hollinger is always talking BAD about us. We have talent on this team, I do not see Van Vleet coming here. He need Harden for 3 years

3. Hive5

Hive5 Member

I agree with this. I only make the trade if Scoot is available. If anything, I'd be willing to also include KMJ or KPJ as a throw-in.

Tier 0: Wemby

Tier 1: Scoot

Tier 2:
    Miller / Amen

Tier 3: The usual consensus picks 5-10.

Miller is a solid NBA starter, but he has a very limited ceiling. What you see with him is what you get, and I'm not convinced his ISO game will translate to the NBA. Not to mention his character issues.

Amen is very boom or bust. If Amen had a jump shot, there would be discussion about him being the first pick if not the consensus second pick. But I prefer Amen over Miller for the PG need on this team, as well as for his upside. And no, KPJ is not the PG of the future, so you don't pick Miller and try to build around KPJ with him continuing to play in that position.

If we do end up getting stuck with Miller, I'd say we should try to pick up a veteran PG like Harden or CP3 in free agency.

RC Cola and MystikArkitect like this.
  4. Rokman

Rokman Member

I wouldn't pick Amen due to need. When we had Dennis Schroder running the point a few years ago it was night and day over Porter, they actually looked like a well oiled machine. Any existing veteran Point Guard in the league will be light years better than Porter and Nix running the show. I'd take Whitmore because I think he eventually be able to replace Green and we could move him for another solid piece down the road. I'm not sold yet on Green long term. This next year will be the year I make that decision.

Hive5 likes this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Assuming Harden, CP3 and Irving are off the market, the next best free agent point guard is FVV. I hope we are talking to his agent. Once he signs with someone, there really aren’t any more starting point guards worth signing. There are a few role players, but no good starters after FVV. We’d be down to hoping Stone’s trade skills are as good as he wants us to think they are ;)

Hive5 likes this.
  6. Landry's Tooth

I agree with assessment of Hollinger, disagree on the chips comment.

If you're adding 2 superstars and maintaining several of the Jalen, Jabari, Sengun, and Eason then I don't think it's far fetched they are contending if just one of those guys figures it out next year. Can still add other pieces too...

Pure hypothetical...

James Harden
    Jaylen Brown
    Jabari Smith
    Lauri Markkanen
    Alperen Sengun

That's potentially 3 allstars next year...

Let's say Jalen, salary filler, and 4 gets you Brown. Then you move KPJ and 3 Brooklyn picks for Lauri...

I have defense concerns with that lineup but it probably is the best offense in the nba...

7. Landry's Tooth

Then trade for someone like Derrick White who is overpaid but not more so than fee agent FVV...

BaselineFade and dmoneybangbang like this.
  8. Aruba77

that’s actually a really good idea. He shot 38% from 3 last year with almost a 4:1 assist to turnover ratio. He seems to have turned a corner late in his career. I’d be happy to grab White and Grant Williams. They would both thrive with more minutes.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. MystikArkitect

Offensively yeah. Defensively not.

10. Landry's Tooth

The appeal to me for White is he's a good defender who has played for Udoka in San Antonio and Boston. He's also a combo guard so he will make a decent reserve if the point if the future is acquired.

Biggest downside is the salary which is probably the only reason Boston would move him given their payroll issues.

BaselineFade and jch1911 like this.
  11. Landry's Tooth

I'm not sure of that.... Sengun was better dbpm, steal%, and block%. Ayton was about 1 better in dws.

The suns were 8th in paint defense and the rockets 10th. A difference of .4.

Given the poor coaching I would lean Sengun.. obviously ignores defending in iso situations in space...

I think it's debatable...

12. Aruba77

If VanVleet hits free agency, he is expected to receive offers from the Orlando Magic, Houston Rockets and others with cap space who could outbid the Suns, Yahoo Sports' Jake Fischer reported.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Did not know Ayton was not American but Bahamian.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Few people are talking about Jerami Grant. I think he would fit great and fill the 3 spot in the starting lineup. This gives the Rockets a long and defensively physical front court with Jabari—both of these guys have 7’2-7’3 wingspans.
    Grant can guard multiple positions and versatile at the 3 or 4 so he can stagger his minutes with jabari in the lineup. He also shot .400 from 3 last year and can take the ball into the paint. If Sengun is our starter and mainstay at Center then having a long and physical front court helps counter his defensive weaknesses when teams are driving on him in the paint. But this all depends if Udoka and management wants to stick with Sengun as their starter in the long run. Also depends on Blazers offering Grant an extension or if he wants to be an UFA.

BaselineFade and dmoneybangbang like this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Ayton plays soft. He is lazy. Ime would throw up in his mouth if he was saddled with Ayton. Ime is on record saying Sengun will be a hub on offense and there are methods to make him more effective on the defensive end. Ime is also high on KPJ, just not at PG. I am feeling Cam or Jarace at #4.

KPJ will bring the ball up and pass to Sengun in the high post. The half court offense will be run by Sengun when he is in. He will have cutters in Cam, Jalen and spot up shooters in Jabari and KPJ. When Sengun sits we should have a vet backup PG like Conley or Caruso ready to run the half-court offense. The biggest challenge for Ime is to improve Jalen’s and KPJ’s defense. Cam and Jabari and Tari (off the bench) will be plus defenders. I would like us to move up and get Lively as Sengun’s backup. We don’t have to spend all the FA money this year. Just with the addition of a real coach and a vet backup PG and maybe a guy like Reeves or a vet backup center, we will be able to compete for the play-in.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

RUMOR: Nets Send Ben Simmons To Surprise Western Conference Team In Blockbuster Trade Proposal
    “In fact, the Rockets already have swap rights on this pick. That’s a product of that same trade that sent Harden to the Nets.

If they made this deal, they’d own the pick outright. That’s a meaningful difference. Whether Houston wants to keep the pick or move it, it will have more value.

Sure, they’ll be taking on Simmons’ contract. That’s not the end of the world. The rest of Houston’s talent is largely cost controlled. By the time their recent lottery picks are due for rookie extensions, Simmons’ deal will be either expiring or off the books entirely.

Moreover, isn’t it possible that Simmons will contribute? At one time, he was arguably the best defender in basketball. Simmons also provides floor vision that few players on the Rockets have. If he can crack their rotation, this could be a steal for Houston.”

https://www.totalprosports.com/nba/nets-ben-simmons-trade-rumor-hornets/

I posted this, not because I really think Simmons is coming to Houston, but its worth the reminder that we have assets we can offer Brooklyn in the form mentioned above, that other teams cant.

There might be other BKN players we can pry away.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]
    David Weiner @BimaThug

18m
    Poolside with a margarita in hand and a few minutes to kill. Hit me up with any #Rockets or salary cap questions you have. I’ll try to answer as many as I can.

finsrocket
    @BimaThug Who are your biggest targets in free agency and what would you offer them?

Among UFAs, I’d say Harden, Lopez, Bruce Brown. In all cases on a REASONABLE deal. No panic to get anyone “at any cost.”

TristanF
    @BimaThug Heard rumors that the Rockets want to sign 4 vets this offseason. Do you think they have enough cap space to accomplish that or will they have to make some trades?

Yes. They have the room. Depends how much they cost. Can’t add 4 max guys. I’m guessing at least one trade will be involved.

Carlos Correa's Banana
    @BimaThug What’s the max that we can rent out our cap space?

$64M now. More if they move other guys. But I assume they’d prefer to get targeted free agents.

John Heinlein
    @BimaThug Do you think the Brook Lopez fit with Sengun makes any sense?

Rockets want to win ASAP. Lopez helps them do that. Sengun could still be the heir apparent.

Jared Hopper
    @BimaThug In your eyes, what the biggest penalty for going over the second apron in the new cba?

The new “frozen pick” concept. For repeat offenders, they’ll be cut off from most big trade avenues.

JG4 2023 SCORING CHAMP SZN
    @trizzy009 @BimaThug I read in the athletic article the Rockets are forced to spend big this summer, up to 45 million, because of the new CBA. Can you explain why?

Under the new CBA, teams who don’t spend to the team salary floor (90% of the cap) by the start of the regular season will immediately lose all extra cap room and need to cut a check in that amount to the NBPA.

HTownJalen
    @BimaThug If you were the GM who are you drafting with pick 4

Assuming Wemby, Scoot & Miller are all gone? Amen Thompson.

jch1911 likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hah I have been saying this forever, that we should look at taking on Simmons contract and kick the can on the Cap room a couple years down the road....and shore up our Nets picks.....

Not because we believe in simmons, but if we can net someone like Bridges to take on his contract all the better...in the end.

DD

20. Ancient Moabite

Isn't the Bahamas a island (country) located in the west sphere/continental Americas? That would make him a Bahamian American, like a Jamaican/Cuban-American etc