1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. Landry's Tooth

The problem with the lineup is its uneven on defense. Amen should be good. Wendell is as far as I know. Wagner and Paolo aren't plus defenders as far as I'm aware... with the right scheme its workable but the wrong scheme you get an entertaining losing team...

2. Landry's Tooth

Lively at 11 is a reach but if he's the only rim running rim protector you like there's not harm reaching 5 or 6 spots.

You're drafting a role player for certain matchups who compliments Sengun's weaknesses.

Most picks from 10-15 end up role players or out of the league...

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

For some reason Amen is too hyped up, even on this board.

I think people never care to be cautious, happens every year.

I am really glad the tanking is over and I don't have to read that next year again.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4595658/2023/06/09/james-harden-rockets-nba-draft/

I’m putting you back in the front office — how would you spend the $60 million in cap space this offseason? Which players do you think complement this team best? Would you use up all of the space now or preserve some for down the road?

John Hollinger: Cool, can I change the owner?

As I mentioned above, the Rockets are strongly incentivized to spend at least $47 million this summer, with the money likely split between a point guard and a forward. If they can’t get Harden, I would look strongly at trading for Memphis’s Tyus Jones into cap space and making him the starter. A more daring strategy would be seeing if Golden State would salary dump Jordan Poole into the cap space. (Trading for Chris Paul is another theoretical possibility, but I doubt this is where he wants to land.)

Houston also needs floor spacers and defenders at the 3 and 4. A couple of players who are both young enough and good enough to make a difference are Cameron Johnson, Max Strus and Dillon Brooks. Johnson would require a big offer sheet to scare off the Nets from matching, while Strus and Brooks are unrestricted.

Are there any aggressive trade opportunities you think Houston should pursue given its roster setup and eagerness to accelerate the rebuild?

JH: I think most of the so-called aggressive opportunities would be mistakes. They went 22-60 last year; the team isn’t good enough to be pushing a bunch of chips in, and being sick of losing doesn’t change that. I get that the Rockets have all the draft picks from Brooklyn that they can use to sweeten the pot in a blockbuster trade, but you don’t want to be Atlanta or Minnesota and play the card too early.

Now that Ime Udoka’s coaching staff is essentially complete, what do they need to do to ensure the Rockets don’t have another repeat performance of the 2022-23 season? Should we expect significant improvement or is patience still needed?

JH: Let’s see who is on the roster when the season starts before we project how much Houston can improve. Realistically, improving to “respectable badness” and a win total in the mid-30s would be a reasonably good outcome, and even that may be a reach depending on how free agency goes.

From Udoka’s perspective, the biggest thing I want to see from Houston is more discipline — better shot selection, more team play and fewer one-pass or zero-pass possessions, and actual effort at transition defense. The other focus for the Rockets has to be on player development, given how many recent first-round picks dot the roster.

5. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Lively averaged 2.4 blocks in just 20 minutes a game. Best shot blocking metrics in the last 15 years(NCAA). Cauley Stein just wasn't on the same level entering the NBA. He guards the perimeter well and when he is beaten he has the speed to recover and still challenge or block guards at the rim. Guards looked helpless against him at times.

Full season highlights. If you have time, really give this kid another look.

jch1911 likes this.
  6. MystikArkitect

Phoenix is looking to blow it up a little bit. If we land Amen I would entertain an Ayton for Sengun + a Brooklyn pick. If we don't and end up with Miller then I stay put and just build around Sengun and trade up for Lively.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LMAOOOOOOOOO @ the thought this team would go after Jordan Poole - we have reached the wonky hours!

sirjesse likes this.
  8. Landry's Tooth

Want no part of Ayton... the PEDs seemed to have helped him in my opinion...

9. Landry's Tooth

I don't disagree but if some other team wants him I'm happy to take a premium to pick someone else.

Corrosion and daywalker02 like this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He doesn’t seem super impressed with what the rockets have been doing these last 3 yrs, he’s 100% correct that we are not good enough to push all of our chips in and that we could hurt our long term success by being impatient. I pray we don’t make dumb moves this offseason just because Stone is on the hot seat. He’s right that something like 35 wins next year would be a real improvement but trying to chase the play-in at the expense of building the right way is not the outcome we want.

I don’t see Cam Johnson being attainable. I don’t see Dillon Brooks as a difference maker. My understanding is that the front office doesn’t like Tyus Jones and the Grizz need him now more than ever with Ja’s situation so screwed up. So I just don’t see Hollinger’s personnel suggestions as on point.

daywalker02, sydmill, theDude and 2 others like this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

FVV
    Brook Lopez

Will be just fine

Aruba77 and MystikArkitect like this.
  12. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Hollinger has some personal axe to grind with Houston, I think dating back to when he was an assistant GM in Memphis and Morey slighted him in some way. Maybe before that, when Hollinger tried to present himself as the analytics guy at ESPN, “inventing” stats, but Morey became the analytics god. He loves to treat the Rockets as a punchline, even when we were good.

The only time he ever takes a positive outlook on us is with Sengun, because he had Sengun high on his board before the draft and writers love to celebrate their own previous good takes.

Re: Tyus Jones and Dillon Brooks - Hollinger is always higher on Memphis players because that’s where he used to work.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Didn't Hollinger work for the Grizzlies?

jch1911 and Aruba77 like this.
  14. Hive5

Hive5 Member

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Found this on the Blazers subreddit for a mock trade. What do Rockets fans think? Personally, I would make this trade just because the 2024 draft class is rumored to be very weak. Not sure Brooklyn would agree to the trade though.
    [​IMG]

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Welcome on board @Hive5!!! ;)

Personally, I WOULD DO IT!! I'm not sold on the Amen Hype, he truly is a high risk high reward type of player and we can't afford to botch this draft!! I would rather we get Scoot OR Miller if the opportinity presented itself... that is obviously dependent on what we have to give to get either of those players. If all it takes is the 2023' pick and next years 2024' Brooklyn pick, it's a no brainer for me....

GO ROCKETS!!!

16. Aruba77

I’m really starting to buy this as potentially our best outcome in free agency. FVV feels attainable; Lopez less so if the Bucks are serious about contending next year. I don’t think they can afford to let him walk; he was so important for them last year. But those would be no-regret signings.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I would put some protections on the pick... but yeah... totally sounds plausible

Hive5 likes this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sengun is already better than Ayton at a 3rd of the price. Terrible idea.

Little Bit likes this.
  19. Landry's Tooth

To Boston
    #4 pick
    Jalen Green
    JaeSean Tate
    Kevin Porter Jr
    Shaedon Sharpe

To Portland:
    Jaylen Brown
    Kenyon Martin Jr

To Rockets:
    Derrick White
    Al Horford
    Anfernee Simmons
    #3 pick

We add 17 million in cap usage leaving 40-45 available still... sign Grant Williams...

Scoot / White
    Simons / Christopher
    Williams / Eason
    Smith / Garuba
    Sengun / Horford

Leaves 20 million to make a move at trade deadline or absorb a contract for a future pick. Simons isn't much of a defender but 24 and a 40% 3pt shooter; he might be at the best Green would ever become.

This adds White, Horford, and Williams giving you 3 players with experience in the system.

Portland gets a star for Lillard and someone young enough to rebuild around if they move Lillard. Boston gets out from a bunch of contracts while adding 3 young guards with potential and a high pick for any position of need. Tate replaces Williams saving them more money. Boston gets younger and more flexible cap.

20. Aruba77

pretty cool trade. But I only do this deal if Scoot is there at #3, which he may not be. I’m fine drafting Whitmore or Amen #4 and keeping our assets. For sure I pull the trigger on this if Scoot is there at #3.

jch1911 and Hive5 like this.