1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2021] What Cloud Storage Do You Use?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I pay for:

Apple iCloud (.99/mo)
    Dropbox ($10/mo)
    iDrive ($70/yr)

I want to only have one that I share with my family.

What I need:
    Mobile device backup (Apple)
    Windows integration for folder backup
    Synology integration so I can sync my NAS

What do you use?

TWS1986, Jontro and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  2. TimDuncanDonaut

Playstation Plus technically counts. Some of the saves is auto backed up, which has come in handy.

As far as cloud storage, I treat it like it's something others (sysadmins or hackers) can get access to it, nothing sensitive. (Like no sensitive bank documents, back those up locally). Even things that aren't whatever; funeral receipts, hospital bills. Probably don't want them floating out there.

Mobile contacts is probably synced somewhere. But turned off for photos; even the free default. Don't even take that many photos or download them, but don't have to worry it's auto uploaded somewhere.

Nothing wrong with folks who do use, just come with the expectations that, someone you don't know can access them.

#2 TimDuncanDonaut, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Jontro likes this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm still skeptical with its privacy with all the fappening happening the last decade.

daywalker02 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

None.

Xerobull likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I really don't trust cloud storage for the most part. The only thing I use is MS OneDrive and the only thing I put on there are ad hoc spreadsheets I want to access from my laptop and desktop and maybe some other random, unimportant documents. I think I shared some vacation pics once with somebody on there. Outside of that... nada.

CCity Zero and Xerobull like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't believe in cloud storage due to my spook tendencies but Apple has me by the nuts and I opted in a family sub. Too convenient though I'm not sure how private it is.

Supposedly the backup images has keys you use inside so better hope no one cracks those in the worst case scenario

Xerobull likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Good feedback.

Data redundancy is more important to me at this point. I have ****tons of business/financial documents. If I have a fire at home, I can -not- scramble around for my PC/NAS if time is tight.

Pictures/videos are pretty precious, too, especially when you start popping out multiple kids. Looking at them gives the feels.

As far as security, Dropbox has a 'vault' that I haven't really looked in to.

Google drive integrates with (I think) google pictures, which I can shoot on to my TVs on my chromecasts.

@Invisible Fan do you use the Windows app for iCloud? Their integration with ios devices is a pretty big pro for me.

Jontro likes this.
  8. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Laptop backed up to and synced with google.
    Synology NAS backed up to AWS.

Xerobull likes this.
  9. Xerobull

Interesting- why choose AWS? Price?

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I haven't had a home pc since Windows 7. Haven't heard complaints from other people about it though.

11. Buck Turgidson

Eleven

or twelve

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Apple One family. You get AppleMusic, AppleTV+, Apple Arcade, and 1TB of iCloud to share (4 people in my case). $19.99 for family plan. $14.99 individual. There is a premium plan that includes AppleNews+.

Remember when HP had the tablet that ran PalmOS? I got 100GB for life from Box for buying that when they were clearing them out. Think I paid $100 for that. lol

Xerobull, Amiga and B-Bob like this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe he just wants to support the Association of Women in Science. Good cause.

Jontro and Xerobull like this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes, but I don't recall getting any 100GB. Box as in dropbox?

EDIT: found it. I have 50GB though - probably due to inactivity. Didn't even realize I had it, LOL.

15. Xerobull

I was interested until I checked- the $19.99 plan only has 200gb, not 1 Tb

16. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Yes, cheaper.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You are right. The $29.99 plan has 2 TB. 200 GB for the family plan.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

19. Xerobull

I’m not googling that. Sounds like some sort of pegging site. @jacoby ?

Sajan likes this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I never got around to it... but was designing an off-site backup setup where everything was encrypted end to end between systems we own.

I got busy with multiple other projects so... I should probably revisit it. It's more of a trust thing with the companies - ie selling your data/getting hacked/using it for other uses/loss of data. I'm definitely not important enough for anyone to bother hacking/stealing my data but I'd rather not be involved/lumped in w/ everyone when something goes wrong or solely rely on cloud for backup. I'll use Dropbox/Google drive for things here and there.

Currently my junk process is reduced to using physical drives/firebox/safety deposit box.

If I do go with cloud services at some point I'm encrypting everything before sending it and then storing the keys in a firebox and a safety deposit box etc. Again, I know I'm not important but I'm not giving these companies more free data than they already have. I also anticipate that eventually there will be free unlimited cloud storage so they can use it for machine learning (but it's private and anonymous.... Lol).