1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. Screaming Fist

They had been playing like the 2021 version of the 2020 Astros with the way so many players were playing way below their pre-season projections. Maybe they've finally kicked into gear which will not be good news for whoever they play in the divisional series should they advance from the wild card.

2. Screaming Fist

I hadn't followed him much this season but in retrospect I would have definitely liked for the Astros to have acquired Hudson given the relatively light return he garnered from SD (a 40 FV reliever and a 35+ FV SS). Hudson has been arguably just as effective as Graveman (.247 xwOBA for Hudson and .265 xwOBA for Graveman) this season and would have given Houston three elite options out of the pen. Graveman is really nice to have but there's still a huge drop off between he and Pressly and the third best reliever (Maton? Raley? Javier?). Having Hudson would also hopefully force Dusty to stop deploying Stanek in higher leverage spots as he is wont to do in spite of Stanek being fairly mediocre.

#1762 Screaming Fist, Aug 27, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    everyday eddie likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

WTF?

4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Yankees won't win the division. And Yankees will lose the one game playoff.

Your smugness is irritating me and I work with high school kids.

5. Buck Turgidson

You fantacasting what may or may not happen within the next 39 days is equally irritating, and I work with animals.

Nook and cmlmel77 like this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think it is inappropriate to call the "dancers" at Chicas Bonitas animals. :D

7. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

That was a terrific three post sequence. This is how sniping should be done.

raining threes, Nook and lnchan like this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yes love them both. The art of trash talking on the internet.

raining threes and lnchan like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I have been looking at Adelberto Mondesi as a potential trade target this offseason. The Royals appear to be pretty down on him due to his lack of durability. Depending on what they want for him, I’d be comfortable going into next season with Diaz and Mondesi competing for the SS job with the loser going to a super utility role and the expectation that both are stopgaps until one of Leon or Pena is ready to be the long term everyday SS.

Maybe:
    Astros get:
    SS Adelberto Mondesi
    RP Scott Barlow

Royals get:
    SS Freudis Nova
    RHP Bryan Abreu
    RHP Peter Solomon
    RHP Angel Macuare

BlindHog likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Mondesi is an interesting player to consider. He was brought up really young and he had maturity issues. He has strong bat speed and he can run and cause havoc. It is possible that he is going to be a lot better than he has been.

What I have been told is that the Astros would be more interested in using the Correa money short term on a #1 type pitcher. I am not quite sure who is available as the guy they wanted (Scherzer) will likely sign an extension to stay in California. Oddly enough the Astros could offer the QO to Verlander and decide to go that route. There are guys like Kershaw, Gausman, Morton, Kluber and Syndergaard also available but they all come with real risks and the cost for some of these guys could get rather high. There is always the trade market, but the cost is going to be high and my understanding is that the Astros want to minimize risk for the pitcher they get.... there are guys like Sonny Gray or Luis Castillo but that assumes the Reds will move them and Gray is not a #1 and Castillo is up and down. Wheeler and Gibson in Philadelphia are likely not available either.

My "guess" is that the Astros give Verlander the QO and see if he takes it. That locks up about 20 million but it also gives them a possible high end Cy Young ace at the top of the rotation and they likely count on continued improvement from Valdez and possibly McCullers to slide into the second spot in the rotation.

As far as shortstops, my understanding is that they are not overly worried about fielding a good SS in 2022. I cannot see Bregman as SS, but they do have some internal options in Leon and Pena (who they are high on). Also if you look at the free agent market, I can see why the Astros feel somewhat confident........

Correa/Seager/Semien/Story/Baez all are unrestricted free agents. Correa is the best in the group (and I would put him over Lindor at this point), but all of these players have been quite good in the past. I cannot see all over these players getting contracts north of $100,000,000 though and that is where the Astros could possibly figure in on a short term deal with one of them. Seager has healthy concerns and it is possible he doesn't get a long term deal. Story has lost some of his luster and outside of Colorado I don't expect everyone is going to buy that he is the same type of player, and he isn't going back to Colorado. Baez is a free swinger with discipline issues that will concern teams giving him a long term deal. Still he has exceptional range, a lot of power and can be a dramatic player.... Oddly Semien is the one I have long felt like the best fit for the Astros. He has become a solid glove, he is older so will get a shorter deal and his bat is under appreciated. He could sign a higher number one year deal or possibly go to the Astros on a 3 year deal....... then there are more stop gap guys like Mondesi, Andrelton Simmons.... possibly a deal for someone like Segura.

The point is, there are a lot of shortstops out there .......... and the Astros likely would be better served improving in other areas.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

As much faith as I have in the FO I really hope they don’t go into the season with Pena as the everyday SS. There are too many options out there, and they can’t be sure how Meyers’ adjustment phase is going to go or how durable Bregman, Altuve, Brantley, Alvarez, and Gurriel will be, so defaulting another potential hole into the bottom of lineup next to Maldy seems like a bad plan, especially when a pretty reliable league average hitter like Galvis or Villar should be available for just a few million dollars.

everyday eddie likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is what I expect the Astros will try to do and get a stop gap SS or pray Diaz stays healthy. Though, it will really depend on what other teams do.

Astros are old at LF and 1B. Probably not an offseason move, but Astros probably at least kick some tires on backup plans unless they are happy with internal backup options.

Nook, raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. raining threes

I like the Mondesi idea.

What would it take for Click to trade for a guy like Beiber?

I'm thinking Javier/Either Leon or Pena and a guy like Whitley.

Nook likes this.
  14. raining threes

I see Chaz and Leon as internal choices. Jones as an internal choice at 1B.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I think the Astros will get a veteran SS, the question is will it be someone like Semien or Story......... or will it be someone like Galvis or Iglesias.

If the Astros DO go the route of someoen like Galvis, I expect them to address other issues other than just a #1 starter..... that could be catcher for instance, where they attempt to upgrade the offensive production from that spot. It could be the bullpen or maybe they keep their financial flexibility until the deadline and make a move. Point being, they will use their resources.

As a side note, while I am happy with the internal development of the Astros young players... I don't think the Astros off season moves have been good at all. Compare the Astros moves to those of the Rays for example (granted the Rays are a great organization) and the difference is stark.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah I agree with you on 1st and LF.

From what I have been told, the Astros think their future 1st baseman is already on the roster. They have dabbled with moving Altuve and Bregman around and there is a good chance one of the midget brigade may end up at first. Brantley is getting older and at some point is going to break down. They have a few players in the lower minors that they like but nothing that is close to ready. I don't think that they can go with Chas long term either unless Tucker and Jake Meyers get even better with their bats.

Other weird thing I have heard is the Astros are very open to upgrading at catcher through trade.... with the Astros now developing some internal catching options that was interesting I felt.

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Looks to me like there is a good chance Diaz becomes a free agent this offseason under the new CBA. Owners have shown a willingness to ditch the current system for and aged based system. Diaz is already 31.

mikol13, raining threes and Nook like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Last I heard the Indians didn't want to trade their young pitchers.

To get him would cost a lot..... my guess is the Astros would likely use less prospects and try to improve someone like Luis Castillo from the Reds. He has the arm and ability but hasn't done it consistently.

The cost of an ace is always high, but right now it is especially high.... the Astros have had success identifying guys like Verlander, Cole, Morton as guys with talent that were recently struggling.... my guess is Click goes that route.

raining threes likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I highly doubt the free agency change would take effect this offseason. The new CBA is extremely unlikely to be signed before the offseason begins and they won’t change those rules halfway thru. If they did, it would mean Houston gets to keep Correa.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am good with this provided our brass has gotten their heads clear on what a upgrade actually is. Castro was supposed to be that.