1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

To be fair, the trade @Snake Diggit proposed included Ketel Marte- who could fill a major hole in the lineup and CF- and is under contract thru 2024.

To get something of value, you have to give up something of value. It was just a proposal. I’m not saying we should or shouldn’t trade Garcia. He’s performed extremely well thus far.
    When guys perform well, their stock and value go up.

#81 Htown Legend, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Jesus, dude. Take a Valium or something. Also, if my hypothetical trades get you that worked up, I would strongly suggest putting me on ignore.

Theking likes this.
  3. the shark

the shark Member

So I'm "worked up" by pointing out how stupid your trade suggestion is??

No I'll continue to get a good laugh at your attempt to play GM.

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. the shark

the shark Member

Maybe you should read his suggested trade again and more importantly why he's saying it. That Garcia is "overvalued"??? In his world (and his world only) is Garcia "overvalued".

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

All that hate is gonna burn you up.

Theking and Screaming Fist like this.
  6. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

@the shark .... I highlighted some key words for you here. We have fun with this trade thread every year. These are hypotheticals dude. It’s not a big deal

7. Buck Turgidson

"It keeps me warm"

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pressly, Javier, and Raley make for 3 really good relievers. Garcia will be a 4th assuming the other 5 SP are healthy. Click needs to determine what he expects out of Baez, Stanek, Smith, and Paredes, because if those 4 guys don't project to be effective playoff caliber relievers, then he should probably make a move to acquire 1-2 RP. But if he expects at least 2 of those 4 to be really good by Sept, then I don't think the BP is really an area of need. Of course that assumes Click doesn't expect anything from James, Martes, Verlander, Taylor, Scrubb, or Abreu, and all 6 of those guys have very high ceilings as potential playoff relievers.

MoMobley and raining threes like this.
  9. raining threes

Wonder if Click could move

Ivey/Abreu/Dawson/Kessinger

For

Marte/Soria

MoMobley and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Not unless the Dbacks gm was drunk. I have a hard time believing the astros have the players to land Marte without hurting the MLB roster. Dbacks would absolutely ask for Garcia or Javier.

Marte has a lot of value. He Only makes 8 million next year and then 2 team options at 10 and 12 million after that.

11. raining threes

I wonder what it would take to get Soria, I also like Senzel from Cincy to fill the CF need. The Bullpen would be much better adding a guy like Soria.

Pressly
    Soria
    Javier
    Garcia
    Stanek
    Raley
    Taylor

A very much improved bullpen.

MoMobley likes this.
  12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Soria would probably be a top 10-15 prospect in our system and another top 30 guy.

Obviously I would take Soria over a lot of the trash in our pen, but his WHIP at over 1.5 is a little scary. It's not really a huge walk problem. 4 walks in 12 appearances. He's giving up a lot of hits. His salary is 3.5 million so shouldn't be too tough. I like Yimi Garcia from the Marlins a little more. Bigger arm, having a better year than Soria, and only making 1.9 million. He's also a better strike out guy. Soria does have more experience though, but so does Joe Smith.......

#92 Redfish81, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    MoMobley and raining threes like this.
  13. raining threes

Two other guys I'm looking at are Garrett from the Reds and Zimmer from the Royals, although they dont have the track record Soria has.

Who I really want is Graveman. I would give up Abreu/Parades and a guy like Taylor Jones for Graveman. If healthy I'm higher on Graveman than most. I look at him as a shutdown closer if healthy. I dont know how much control he's got left or money he's making, but I see Graveman as a Pressly type add to the bullpen. Key words to this paragraph is IF HEALTHY.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Graveman or Michael Fulmer would be great.

raining threes likes this.
  15. prospecthugger

The Astros might be in position where they can afford to part with a young, cost controlled starting pitcher with some success in the majors. Greinke, McCullers, Valdez, and Odorizzi is a solid playoff rotation, and only Grienke will be gone next year. In a video game, it would be cool to deal Odorizzi for a similarly priced CF, but that seems unlikely to work out in the real world. I'm really curious to see what Click does. He could justify trading Urquidy, Garcia, or Javier so long as he upgrades the team, but it would probably have to be a huge upgrade, or a long term piece.

Tampa Bay has been proactive about acquiring potential high leverage relievers early in their career, so I wouldn't be surprised if they targeted someone like that, but he also isn't on TB's budget. They theoretically have a late inning reliever coming back in Baez. The best comparison for the Astros trading away a player like that would probably be Musgrove or Velasquez, both of which netted and impact level player. If they're willing to move a starter for a young impact reliever, I wonder about prying Antone from Cincinati, or either Clase or Karinchak from Cleveland. Maybe they could do something crazy and grab Adolis Garcia and Sborz from Texas.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. Landry's Tooth

Here's what I plan to screen for on a reliever:

Low BAA / OPS from lefties
    WHIP under 1.20
    On a non-contender
    K/9 at least 9
    At least 3 seasons with a sub-4 ERA

I'll let you know what I find...

Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Totally agree that if Houston is going to acquire a star player with any addl years of control, one of Garcia/Urquidy/Javier will have to used to get it. I really wouldn’t want Houston to use one of those 3 guys to trade for a reliever, as I would just as soon move them to the pen where I think they’d be effective. If they are going to move one, it should be for a good CF with more than one year of control remaining. Here’s the list of players I think fit that description who just might be available:

Ketel Marte
    Mike Yastrzemski
    Bryan Reynolds
    Josh Rojas
    Jesse Winker

I don’t think Adolis Garcia is available. Starling Marte, Joey Gallo, Randal Grichuk, Robbie Grossman, Anthony Santander and Tyler Naquin are other decent options who shouldn’t cost a player like Urquidy/Javier/Garcia.

If Byron Buxton is traded he will likely cost a player of that caliber, but I wouldn’t want the Astros to do that as he only would be there thru next season. Haniger, Bryant, Castellanos, and others are strictly corner options and I wouldn’t want Houston to trade a potential long term #2 SP while also banking on Tucker to handle CF.

As for what I expect to actually happen, I don’t think Click will pull the trigger on a major deal like that. I expect him to use the next tier of young pitching (Abreu, Ivey, Solomon, Scrubb, Paredes, etc.) to add a decent rental RP along with a CF from that 2nd tier I listed above. Starling Marte and Kendall Graveman would really improve the roster and shouldn’t cost more than 4-5 of their 2nd/3rd tier assets total.

prospecthugger likes this.
  18. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

RP’s Sulser and Fry from Baltimore have some really good numbers.

If they even think about building a trade package centered around one of Garcia, Javier, or Urquidy.... you have to get a return that nets you a controllable, quality CF and a potential high leverage reliever.

Hunter Brown and Alex Santos are also trade chips to keep an eye on that wouldn’t affect the ML roster.

I fully expect the CF position to be upgraded before the deadline. The potential return(or not) of Baez will play a role in whether or not the Astros will be in the market for bullpen help.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would probably have Hunter Brown off limits aside from a major major trade (one I can’t really even think as possible right now). I would also be very reluctant to trade Pedro Leon, Jeremy Pena, Colin Barber, or Korey Lee. In terms of position player prospects of value, I would be willing to include Freudis Nova and Grae Kessinger in deals along with the afore mentioned pitching prospects.

Htown Legend and raining threes like this.
  20. Landry's Tooth

Winker is their best hitter and under club control... would take a lot to get him...

The others aren't worth paying much for other than Marte...

I would rather play tuck in cf and do a late inning defensive sub for brantley shifting tuck to the corner than overpay for defense...

We threw biggio and berkman out there and survived... tuck is a better fielder than both of them...