1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont think I can allow the Machete slander my guy!

2. CinematicFusion

3. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

The Cubs firesale continues

raining threes likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

I don't like that at all, he's having a very good year.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  5. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Trea Turner in CF then replace Correa at SS next year, anyone? Imagine a haul of Scherzer, Turner, and Hand/Hudson. I know it’s fantasy at this point but the way Click’s been talking…

6. Willy92683

Willy92683 Member

No to Hand, he blew another save tonight, that's back to back for him.

7. Buck Turgidson

8. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Yeah I literally posted that a minute before that happened. I’d much rather Hudson anyways lol

9. HTXSportsAddict

10. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Twins pitcher Taylor Rogers exits game with finger sprain.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

12. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Clicks been talking a lot of ****. Gonna be time for him to put up or shut up. I have zero faith in Click right now. Hope I'm proven wrong.

13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

This is exactly where I’m at

14. conquistador#11

Woo hoo look at me I wrote an epic poem on bunting.
    Get the team what i t neeeds, Click.

I like this time a year. Every time someone goes out during the game the rumors begin.

TWS1986 likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/2732480/2021/07/27/rosenthal-trevor-story-max-scherzer-mlb-trade-deadline/

Rockies shortstop Trevor Story is one of the biggest names on the trade market, but mostly by reputation. Story, 28, is in the middle of his worst offensive season, and some baseball people are alarmed by his poor throwing.

“His throws look off and have all year,” one rival executive said.

Statcast numbers support the executive’s observation. The average velocity on the top 10 percent of Story’s throws is 78.1 mph, down from 80.4 last season and an average of 85.4 the four previous years. More traditional numbers also point to a decline: Story has made six throwing errors, one short of his career-high.

Here is one of those errors, from a game against the Dodgers on July 16.

The obvious question is whether Story is injured. He was on the injured list from May 29 to June 10 with right elbow inflammation, and also missed time with elbow trouble in September 2018. But Rockies GM Bill Schmidt, in a text message on Monday, said, “He’s healthy as far as I’m aware.”

Story, though, also is not hitting at his accustomed level. For the season, he’s batting .240 with a .733 OPS, well below his previous career marks of .277 and .877. In July, he’s batting .171 with a .568 OPS, following his best offensive month of the season with his worst.

The Rockies were never certain to get an offer they found acceptable for Story, who is headed for the free-agent market at the end of the season. Two recent July trades involving offensive rentals, J.D. Martinez in 2017 and Manny Machado in ’18, produced underwhelming returns, even though both were in the middle of big seasons. Story, with his regression, is further compromising the Rockies’ leverage. And rather than make a poor trade, the team would prefer to extend him a qualifying offer and receive draft-pick compensation once he signs with another club.

Story’s defense previously was elite; he ranked in the top three among shortstops in defensive runs saved in 2019 and ‘20 before dropping to 12th this season. If, for example, the Yankees acquired him, they would move Gleyber Torres back to second base, his better defensive position, and play DJ LeMahieu at first. But if Story’s throwing is in question, and his hitting is below his usual standard, it’s fair to question whether any team will meet the Rockies’ price.

Max for free?

Well, not exactly. But a team that trades for Nationals right-hander Max Scherzer would not owe him a single cent the rest of the season, inheriting the remaining portion of his $35 million salary, all of which is deferred until 2028.

The uniquely structured seven-year, $210 million free-agent deal Scherzer signed with the Nationals in January 2015 essentially pays him $15 million per year from ’15 to ’28. Scherzer’s payout this season is a $15 million portion of his $50 million signing bonus. He already has received half of that amount, with the other $7.5 million due in September.

The signing bonus, however, is solely the Nationals’ obligation, and not one an acquiring team would pay, according to two sources with knowledge of how a trade would work. The acquiring team instead would be responsible for the remainder of Scherzer’s $35 million salary for 2021 — about one-third. And that amount, because it is deferred entirely until ’28, would be valued at less than it is now.

The acquiring team would not catch a similar break in its luxury-tax payroll, which is based on players’ average annual salaries. The luxury-tax hit would be approximately $12 million, a figure that might discourage some clubs. But the Dodgers would not necessarily be deterred — they currently project to be above the third and highest threshold, according to FanGraphs.

The Padres, who face their own luxury-tax concerns, also are among the clubs expected to be in the mix for Scherzer, who turns 37 on Tuesday (the Pads also have interest in Cubs closer Craig Kimbrel, among others). Scherzer maintains the right to veto any trade as a player with 10 years of major-league service, five consecutive with the same team. Thus, he can effectively choose his next destination, and his preference almost certainly would be a club with a chance to win the World Series.

Htown Legend likes this.
  16. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Why do you have zero faith in Click? He’s done everything right that a GM can do

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

This could potentially be a inconvenience. What if Click reaches a deal. Is Scherzer going to wait until the last minute before he agrees because he's hoping one of the West coast teams makes a offer? This situation won't be good. What if Click waits and all of a sudden, with an hour or two remaining, the Nationals makes a deal with another team and Scherzer agrees. This gives Click little time to acquire another starter. Or other players Click wants but he has certain players off limits because they're pending on Scherzer so other teams moves on. Or does Click move on, rather than waiting for Scherzer to accept or reject?

19. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

We'll see my friend. We'll see.

Nook likes this.
  20. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

And by strongly prefers the West Coast, he means a team near the Gulf of Mexico! Ay papi!

Nook likes this.