1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I'd like to see him on Saturday...

in an Astros uniform

2. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

And there's a guarantee that a reliever will have success? How many elite closers have s*** the bed in the previous years? Hell Aroldis Chapman has been trash lately and Jensen is on another blown save streak right now...

3. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

The Marlins have a bunch of guys in their pen I wouldn't mind having - they've been one of the three best bullpens in the MLB over the last month. I ultimately think we end up not wanting to give up what it takes to get Kimbrel - I think Scherzer is more likely IMO in that we would be more willing to pay but doubt they trade him. That said, I think at best we're looking at Tanner Scott or Rodriguez (PIT) and a cheap Strom project.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Here are some potential big trades for the deadline

Astros get:
    Bryan Reynolds
    Rich Rodriguez

Pirates get:
    Cristian Javier (Pirates could get extra year of service by sending him to AAA for 10 days)
    Hunter Brown
    Jake Meyers
    Joe Smith ( salary dump)

Astros get:
    Ian Kennedy

Rangers get:
    Enoli Paredes
    Bryan De La Cruz

Playoff Roster:

Lineup:

Altuve 2B
    Brantley LF
    Bregman 3B
    Reynolds CF
    Gurriel 1B
    Alvarez DH
    Correa SS
    Tucker RF
    Maldonado C

Bench:
    Castro,Diaz, Straw, McCormick

Rotation:
    McCullers, Greinke, Framber, Garcia

Bullpen:
    Odorizzi, Urquidy, Raley, Taylor, Baez, Stanek, Kennedy, Rodriguez, Pressly

Astros get 2 pieces under control for multiple years with Reynolds and Rodriguez. Also, these moves would keep them under the luxury tax as Reynolds only has about 200k and Rodriguez about 600k in salary left for the year. Kennedy has about 700k left. So getting a little money back and/or dumping Joe Smith would easily keep them under the tax. Reynolds also replaces the offense you would lose if Correa leaves. Then you could let Leon/Pena battle it out at SS next spring training or sign a veteran. Astros would also have the money in the offseason to bring back Verlander, go after another starter, and add to the pen.

5. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Sign me the hell up

6. Radricky

Radricky Member

You're right that there's no guarantee for relievers.
    They have a better track record and larger sample size though.

7. SuraGotMadHops

I like the way you think, I'm gonna be watching you

[​IMG]

mikol13 likes this.
  8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Why would the Pirates trade Reynolds when they have 4 more seasons of team control?

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I really doubt the Pirates make Reynolds available.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The same.

Though, it wasn't long ago that the White Sox were in a similar position with three good/great players with a ton of control and very little else at the majors. Instead of wasting that club control on losing years, they traded those guys for Moncada, Kopech, Giolito, Jimenez, and Cease who are all on their team at a time they are World Series contenders. One can say a couple of the other teams won the trades because they won 2 World Series combined, but the White Sox can't help it that those other teams were just better before the trades. The White Sox decided they wanted a chance at a World Series instead of the path on the treadmill of mediocrity.

I don't think the Pirates FO has the courage that they can could make good trades.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Of course it is very unlikely. I only ran with it because of the reports that the Astros asked the Pirates about Reynolds.

I think a watered down version where the Astros get Starling Marte and a reliever is a possibility though.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  12. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Astros don't need another DH, we already have two in Yordan and Brantley. Cruz wasn't a fit for us.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There is really only one position we can upgrade and it's CF, and Straw/Chas is playing more than adequately. What we need are some relief pitchers.

14. ktex

ktex Member

100 percent correct but it sure improves the damn Rays.

15. Radricky

Radricky Member

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Where does Brantley play in that scenario? You know, the leading hitter in the AL?

The Beard likes this.
  17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I’m good with the one for Ian

No to trading Javier and H Brown. We will have to have that young pitching to stay contenders

18. The Beard

I agree, and I also seriously doubt the Astros will make Javier available.

H Brown I could see if the return was tremendous, but the key to us staying contenders long term is our young pitching.

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I understand, but you wouldn't get a guy like Reynolds with multiple years of control without giving up that kind of talent. Also, for the next four years the Astros can pencil in McCullers, Framber, Urquidy, and Garcia in the rotation. Plus Odorizzi is here 2 more years unless he gets traded somehow. Yes, injuries will happen but that is a pretty good starting point and can be bolstered via free agency.

20. The Beard

It’s very doubtful all those guys stay healthy to pencil them in that long. Reynolds is great and I would give up Brown plus prospects and Straw for him, but I’m not moving any of the young pitching that has proven to be good at the mlb level for a CF, especially with how Leon looks