1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

If Correa walks...what about trading for Jean Segura this offseason? Controllable for two more years under $18M per year

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Jones has already been sent down. Garcia will be sent down when Diaz returns in a couple weeks. Replacing your 14th and 16th position players is not usually a deadline focus.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I meant off the 40 man roster entirely.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Ah. Well that also doesn't really matter. There are several minor leaguers who will need 40 man spots in December to protect from the Rule 5 draft. Jeremy Pena, Jake Meyers, and Joe Perez will all very likely need to be either traded or added to the 40 man. Alex McKenna, Mike Papierski, Scott Manea, Ronnie Dawson, JJ Matijevic, and Bryan De La Cruz are all also risks who could be justified in adding to the roster ahead of Taylor Jones and Robel Garcia. That said, both Garcia and Jones have such small sample sizes that I don't think we should write them off as worthless. Garcia probably is what he is at this point: a AAAA utility infielder with power but major strikeout problems. But I think there is still some upside in Jones as a lateblooming corner bat. He probably will never get a full time audition with Houston, but it would not surprise me at all if he ended up becoming a decent middle of the order hitter for a rebuilding team.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

wrong thread, delete

#526 Snake Diggit, Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

With just 2 weeks to the deadline, it seems the buyers/sellers have settled in. There are less sellers than I expected, and they are:
    Orioles
    Tigers
    Rangers
    Marlins
    Pirates
    Rockies
    Diamondbacks
    Cubs
    Royals (soft)
    Twins (soft)

The Cardinals, Braves, Nationals, Phillies, Angels, and Cleveland all should probably sell, but have records near or above .500, which makes it difficult to give up on a season despite very very low odds of reaching the playoffs; a bad week could give them the motivation to change course. The Mariners won’t sell but have a very unpredictable front office, so they could end up both selling and buying.

With that context, I still see Kimbrel, Rogers, Barlow, Cisnero, and Kennedy as players who should really appeal to the Astros. With the recent rumor of Houston open to adding SP, Marquez, Duffy, Boyd, Means, and Hendricks are possibilities, although I consider that move very unlikely.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

What I REALLY meant was off before the playoffs and replaced with someone who can actually hit. :D

9. raining threes

Gonna have to make some trades just to clear 40 man spots.

I could easily see Jones being another J.D. Davis.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

One of the things that has helped keep the farm depth in good shape was making those kinds of moves. The JD Davis, Jake Marisnick, and Cionel Perez trades gave Houston 6 interesting prospects. I am hoping Houston is able to continue to make those kinds of moves to shift resources into the future. Jones and their pending Rule 5 eligibles seem to be good candidates for those kinds of deals. Getting a guy like Luke Berryhill or Scott Manea for an older prospect like Ronnie Dawson or JJ Matijevic is a great way to parlay farm depth into potential future trade chips (or less likely, core players).

11. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

He looks something the Coen Brothers would have in a movie.

12. Buck Turgidson

"He'll fix your truck, your refrigerator and your cat."

aside: my dad had one eye that was half blue, half hazel, always thought it looked cool as hell

13. raining threes

Who is this guy?

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Deleted

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. Radricky

Radricky Member

I'd be very surprised if we were seriously going after scherzer.
    But just to kick the idea around what do you think it would take?
    One of urquidy, Garcia, and Javier plus Whitley, brown or lee?

16. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

17. HTXSportsAddict

18. HTXSportsAddict

Nook likes this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Scherzer will likely have about 2.5 WAR for the remainder of the season. The question is which prospects are projected to have that much WAR before their FA?

I am thinking that one 5-10 prospect like Tyler Ivey and one 10-20 prospect like Jordan Brewer.

Htown Legend likes this.
  20. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Ship Verlander's contract + prospects for Scherzer. Then resign Verlander next year.