1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 28, 2021.

1. raining threes

Bobby Brown from A&M is my guy.

I think his best football is ahead of him and he's like 20 or 21 years old.

I'm liking Ellerson Smith as an edge from what I saw at the Senior Bowl.

2. Marteen

Marteen Member

The more time passes, the more I'm open to the idea of trading for the Jets #2 pick to get Zach Wilson and build around him with the remaining Jets picks/players. I hope Caserio eventually sees the writing on the wall before the draft.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I love Zach wilson but he’s going to be under so much pressure to replace Deshaun if we do grade him

primtim24, Marteen and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Would be ideal to sit for a bit

Marteen likes this.
  5. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...t-2021-texans-deshaun-watson-jets/4506909001/

Let’s do what the NFL world is breathlessly anticipating and orchestrate a deal for disenfranchised Houston Texans superstar Deshaun Watson. We'll send him to the New York Jets, thus giving the Texans two first-rounders this year (including No. 2 overall) as part of the compensation – and maybe creating the first mention you’ve seen of Houston in a 2021 mock draft – while arming them with the ability to pick anybody they want … save that cat from Clemson.

2. Houston Texans [PROJECTED TRADE with New York Jets for Deshaun Watson] – Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State: The Texans have been steadfast (so far) that they will not move the face of their franchise. Yet Watson has expressed his wishes to leave and a reported desire to play for the Jets and their new head coach, Robert Saleh. If Houston ultimately acquiesces, the Jets, who hold four first-round selections in the next two drafts, could be an ideal partner … though, in this scenario, they won’t include incumbent QB Sam Darnold as part of the freight. Dealing Watson would put Houston in the market for a quarterback, and Fields seems like a sensible alternative with exciting upside. An athletic passer whose skill set resembles Watson’s, Fields’ mobility would enable him to make plays outside the structure of the offense – and survive while the Texans’ rebuild is ongoing over the next few years.

23. Texans [PROJECTED TRADE with Jets, who own Seattle Seahawks’ first-rounder] – Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU: Houston has extensive issues on both sides of the ball, two of them being an inability to stop the pass or generate turnovers (league-low three INTs in 2020). A rangy playmaker like Moehrig would address the secondary of a club that won’t pick before Round 3 if our Watson trade doesn’t go through.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I would throw up if they drafted Fields over Wilson.
    Also, Watsons and Fields game is nothing alike. Lawrence, Wilson and Watson are much more similar.
    Fields is Lamar clone.

7. Sooty

I would be okay with Fields. Both prospects are nothing compared to Lawrence.

Also, the comment above is so far from the truth it's insane.

Fields has excellent reads and progressions over Wilson/Jackson. He doesn't even run half as much as Lamar Jackson. Jackson out of college had multiple 1500+ yard seasons, vs Fields. Lamar's completion percentage was at a significantly lower clip than Fields.

Lamar is a much faster, better agility and better acceleration. His view of the field and ability to make the right passes is poorer.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Fields doesn’t have the arm talent and ability that Wilson has. Period. That’s just not true at all.
    Ohio State system is a one read system, there are no progressions. The second and third options are from busted plays and Fields ability to extend the play.
    The same thing that Lamar had going for him.
    Ohio State QBs in general aren’t good pro QBs in general. Fields has all types of talent, but he is very far from being Lawrence. And most places have Wilson above him too.
    He’s competing with Lance at this point.

9. Sooty

Already said neither Wilson or Fields are in Lawrence's tier. The argument was Lamar vs Fields - I did say I would be happy with either Wilson or Fields.

Someone else with huge arm strength (and probably still does?) Paxton Lynch, drafted first round, terrible at his progressions but huge arm strength and prototypical size. Who went way after him? Dak Prescott who was considered to be a career back-up.

Ohio State doesn't define NFL progression, if that 's the case, then you're arguing Wilson won't become an NFL player playing at BYU. It's silly. If you've watched games, the onus in particular the past two seasons has been on the QB to call the protections on every play, it's not 100% pro-style but it's there. And if you see his high school tape of reads vs Wilson, there's a clear gap. Which is more than Wilson had to do at BYU against lower competition the past 3 seasons.

Wilson against ranked competition in Coastal Carolina was okay with 63% completion, 240 yards, 1TD/1INT. He struggled with pressure from the defense and it was by far his worst game of the season. Previous season he played against much better completion and there just wasn't a lot there, until he played UMass (1-11 for the season) where he exploded for 293yard, 4 TD.

I don't care if we draft Wilson or Fields but the assumed "daylight" between the two doesn't really exist.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You can pull up any scouting report, and verified by game tape. Wilson pocket awareness and control along with elite arm talent is a strength. Fields picker awareness and control is a negative.
    Fields has the benefit of top tier talent to play with and the system is simple.
    BYU has a lot of pro looks.

I could absolutely see Fields going the Josh Allen route and being good after a few years.
    Wilson is in a tier above that

12. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

If that trade went down not only could they draft Fields over Wilson, I would expect it. Each decision this organization makes is even stupider than the previous one.

orosiriley and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately I agree lol

orosiriley and couple of d's like this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Anyone with ESPN+ want to post the Kiper mock draft released today? I heard it was a doozy.

15. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Found it on NFL Draft subreddit. Contains mock trades, but Texans are not in play. What a year to have a need at OL lol.

Also, Mac Jones top 10 pick, 4th QB selected?
    1. Jaguars: Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
    2. Atlanta Falcons (via mock trade with NYJ): Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
    3. Miami Dolphins (from HOU) DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama
    4. New York Jets (via mock trade with ATL): Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
    5. Cincinnati Bengals: Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
    6. Philadelphia Eagles: Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
    7. San Francisco 49ers (via mock trade with DET): Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
    8. Carolina Panthers: Mac Jones, QB, Alabama
    9. New England Patriots (via mock trade with DEN): Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State
    10. Dallas Cowboys: Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
    11. New York Giants: Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
    12. Detroit Lions (via mock trade with SF): Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State
    13. Los Angeles Chargers: Rashawn Slater, OL, Northwestern
    14. Minnesota Vikings: Alijah Vera-Tucker, OT/G, USC
    15. Denver Broncos (via mock trade with NE): Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech
    16. Arizona Cardinals: Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina
    17. Las Vegas Raiders: Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU
    18. Miami Dolphins: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame
    19. Washington Football Team: Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech
    20. Chicago Bears: Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida
    21. Indianapolis Colts: Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami
    22. Tennessee Titans: Jaelan Phillips, DE, Miami
    23. New York Jets (from SEA): Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan
    24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Landon Dickerson, C, Alabama
    25. Jacksonville Jaguars (from LAR): Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama
    26. Cleveland Browns: Zaven Collins, OLB/DE, Tulsa
    27. Baltimore Ravens: Terrace Marshall Jr., WR, LSU
    28. New Orleans Saints: Jayson Oweh, DE, Penn State
    29. Green Bay Packers: Joe Tryon, OLB/DE, Washington
    30. Buffalo Bills: Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State
    31. Kansas City Chiefs: Walker Little, OT, Stanford
    32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Azeez Ojulari, OLB/DE, Georgia

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

wow 5 QBs taken in the top 10. Insane.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The mock drafts this time of year always seem to seriously over sell the number of QBs drafted in the first round. It's like an annual rite of spring, like the flowers blooming.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Think Jones has solidified himself as the 4th ranked QB. Honestly wouldn’t be all that surprised if some team took him before Fields.

I know it’s just a mock but Kiper has us trading with Miami for the 3rd pick but not getting back the 18th. That in itself would be a failure.

conquistador#11 and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member