1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 NBA Draft Night Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Another trade i wouldnt mind seeing, though I'm finding it hard to value.. is

Grizz get Eric Gordon, House, 23, 24, 2023 Bucks pick

Rockets get Brandon Clarke, Winslow (try and get some playing time out of him, otherwise it's salary dump) 16

I think Gordon is the perfect vet for that Grizz team, and along with Brooks at the 3, can hide a lot of Ja's defensive shortcomings. I notice that during the playoffs, they brought Tillman off the bench before BC and wondering how his value is on that team. The Grizz get a couple late picks to help fill out their roster (unless they think Tyus Jones and Grayson Allen are the answer..).

BC would fit right in to hopefully the starting lineup, unless KJ makes that jump (and.. gets a bit taller :/ )

KPJ/Green/Tate/BC/Wood

Wall(ehh)/Khyri/Winslow?/KJ/?

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

3. Landry's Tooth

Just some ideas here for what could happen draft night...

Here was my thought...

To Rockets:
    Eric Bledsoe

To Warriors:
    #10, #23, #24

To Pelicans:
    Eric Gordon

Bledsoe makes about same as Gordon... he and Wall are just expiring contracts to move in a year possibly... season after next is an option on Bledsoe that unlike Gordon wouldn't likely be picked up...

Could be a useful trade chip at deadline if an injury on a contender...

Pelicans are shopping #10 for veteran shooting... Gordon's versatility could make their offseason shopping easier...

Warriors move back 3 place to get the chance to build some younger depth with the later picks...

Gives Houston a shot at Mitchell or another impact player depending what they do at 2...

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think the Warriors are hunting for a big fish while they still have Curry in his prime and under contract. They need that 2nd star given how hard their core has been hit with injuries (Klay) and just plain being past their prime (Draymond). Once Curry's contract is done the Warriors can go through a full rebuild.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The Rockets should not be looking for any type of veteran who can contribute to this team right now, unless it benefits us in the next couple years.

patience is a virtue Rockets fans

Nook, Rudyc281, MrButtocks and 2 others like this.
  6. Big Fuzz

Big Fuzz Member

Beal, Wiseman, Wiggins change addresses
    Golden State Warriors receive: Bradley Beal, Avery Bradley

Houston Rockets receive: James Wiseman, No. 7 pick in 2021, No. 14 pick in 2021

Washington Wizards receive: No. 2 pick in 2021, Andrew Wiggins

Mike Schmitz: For the Warriors, landing one of the league's most prolific scorers in Beal to pair with 33-year-old Stephen Curry and 31-year-olds Klay Thompson and Draymond Green would be a dream scenario. Golden State would have over $140 million committed to that quartet next season, but Beal is the ideal star to catapult this Warriors group back into NBA Finals contention. While Wiseman did show impressive flashes during the early stages of his rookie season, at just 20 years old, he and whomever the Warriors would select at Nos. 7 and 14 are likely on a different timeline than the current Golden State core.

With Beal technically able to walk in free agency after the 2021-22 season, it's imperative that the Wizards add either young players with star potential or a high draft pick who could turn into a franchise cornerstone. The Wizards would get exactly that with the No. 2 overall pick, giving them the option to choose from Jalen Green, Evan Mobley or Jalen Suggs, assuming Cade Cunningham is indeed the first overall selection. Green would make a lot of sense for the Wizards, as he holds real star potential, regularly earning comparisons to some combination of Zach LaVine and Beal. The Wizards also hold the 15th overall pick, which could yield a starter-caliber player in what's considered a very deep draft.

For the Rockets, giving up the chance to draft Green, Mobley or Suggs would be tough to do, especially when you consider the fact that Houston traditionally hasn't coveted centers like Wiseman. Still, Wiseman showed enough promise as a rim-runner, lob-catcher and floor-spacer to carve out a long, successful career as a franchise center, and could fit in two-big lineups with stretch big Christian Wood in the interim. With Houston far from win-now mode, the change of scenery would give Wiseman a chance to develop at his own pace. Landing the seventh and 14th overall picks from Golden State would also give Houston four picks in the top 25, giving the Rockets quite a bit of flexibility and ammo. The Rockets could still land a point guard of the future such as Davion Mitchell at No. 7 and a potential starter with upside at 14.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...s-want-see-including-bradley-beal-ben-simmons

ESPN smoking major crack!

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Take care of your pics and your prospects moving forward. Please don’t listen to any further offers. Let them sweat

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What makes you say that? We currently have 9 players under contract for next season and 15 roster spots. And of the expiring contracts, I believe Kelly Olynyk is the only one they may even consider bringing back. Additionally, I think it likely that Eric Gordon, DJ Augustine and Danuel House are all made available for trade. John Wall too, but nobody in their right mind is going to take him without pillaging us of draft picks and I don't see the Rockets doing that. I'd also add that it's possible Wood is traded if the Rockets like Mobley. So keeping 3-5 roster spots open for both our 1st and 2nd round picks should not be difficult.

MoMobley and DM'sVP like this.
  9. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

One of the worst trade ideas I’ve ever seen. Whoever had this idea is clearly a Warriors fan.

But what do you expect from ESPN.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

look at this grizzly fan trying to screw us

MoMobley likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The roster isn't full

Guys who are unlikely to be moved
    Wall (contract)
    Gordon (contract)
    Wood
    Martin
    Porter
    Tate
    Thomas

We have 10 guys likely to be locked into the roster for the upcoming season baring trades, and 5 spots for the following decisions

Bradley (PO)
    House/Augustin (expiring vets who we can buyout or trade)
    Returning FA's (Olynyk, Nwaba, Brown)
    New FA's

+ two 2-way contracts for new undrafted players, or returning players like Brooks/Oliver potentially

The reality is, we're not going to be bringing back every player from last season.Bradley gets declined, I think it's highly likely Nwaba and Brown bounce to playoff teams looking for depth. Brooks/Oliver had good moments but not enough to make them guaranteed locks for the roster, they will probably get training camp invites and compete against a new batch of young players for the 14th/15th spot or a 2-way, Augustin looked good but seems like a prime buyout candidate, and House should be moved for a future 2nd and cash. Olynyk I'd love to bring back, we have the roster room and bird rights, but can easily see him moving on to a contender for a full MLE, or getting a contract from the Knicks.

Dubious likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How is that trying to screw us, break it down to

23/24 for 16

and Gordon + Bucks 1st for Clarke and Winslow

Seems like pretty fair value, the question is are the Rockets at the stage of condensing picks into talent, FO is saying yes, I’m not sure I see it though, but if we are hard to complain about Clarke, Winslow and #16

13. Landry's Tooth

I don't disagree but in this draft the gap from 7 to 10 isn't huge...

They can still move 10, 14, and wiseman while drafting some younger players late to develop...

steddinotayto likes this.
  14. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I just threw up in my mouth a little

clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  15. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Ah.. sure?

Moving up in the draft (17 not 16) and getting a young guy that would slot perfectly next to Wood?

23 & 24 to move up, Gordon and 2023 Bucks pick for BC.

I mean, disagree all you want but you could at least come with something I could work with.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Im down to really trade some draft capital to augment our young core.

#23, #24,2022unprotected, 2023 unprotected pick from MIL to Cle for #3.

Wiggins+#7 for Gordon,Bradley,House, Was 1st rounder.

#2 Mobley
    #3 Green
    #7 Thor

MoMobley likes this.
  17. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

You’re right. This is an old post and I think I had Brown and Nwaba coming back then. Think I was miscounting too idk... I can’t remember. Maybe I was drinking.

Williamson likes this.
  18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't actually mind those moves with one exception. I wouldn't let our 2022 pick go for anything. We're going to SUUUUUUUUUCK next year. Even if we pulled off all of those moves and had an amazing core of 19-20 year olds we would still suck. 19-20 year olds do not win NBA games.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Rockets4Life13

I like JT Thor and all but #7 is way too high.

Also, I would neither trade our own pick next year (maybe #1?) nor the Bucks 2023 pick because they might end up sucking if giannis wants out.

D-rock likes this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

2 is worth like 4 or 5 and 14 , not 7 , nope

if GS would give Wiggins I would accept him if it meant moving wall too . Guy might be ready to be good . He will probably be overpaid no matter what .

would another team take wall and number 7 and 14 to give up a good player for GS ? I dunno