1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2021 NBA Draft; 24th overall] Rockets select Josh Christopher

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 29, 2021.

?

Do you like the selection of Josh Christopher?

1. YES

55.5%
  2. NO

44.5%
  1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

it’s because he realized it’s not a meritocracy... at least not here .

he OUTPLAYED green and other guards at the start of last year .... and his reward was to get sent down while green got 30+ mpg

so far Jabari and jalen haven’t had to earn mins (Jabari looks good as a winning player ) everyone else has had to scratch and claw for mins and get benched the second they make a mistake .

For all the talking about these years being about development ... who’s development ? Outside of green , smith , and kpj everyone else is chopped liver . Well , when the results look crappy again it’s going to breed discontent .

KMJ (who I am no huge fan of ) already asked out . Tate would’ve had they not extended him and bro they have been sitting him for half a year on a sore ankle ...
    So we are definitely tanking .

JC was better last year . And as much as a player could overcome and still get better even without great guidance ....
    I agree , it’s unreasonable to expect a 19-20 year old to get better without good coaching . It’s on the coaches .

slothy420 likes this.
  2. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

It’s not so much they want him to be a facilitator but rather less selfish. He will take on 5 defenders at once and attempt a shot at the rim (often times making it) while he has teammates wide open all over the perimeter that get ignored. That is what the team has been trying to beat out of him.

topfive and gfab-babyboi like this.
  3. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

KPJ does the same thing yet they don’t seem to care. JC should have a longer leash considering he was drafted by the team unlike KPJ. This is all about who Silas likes. He loves KPJ plain and simple.

maypk and Ancient Moabite like this.
  4. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

At any rate, Josh was improving last year. I remember last season there was a lot of talk about his improvement being credited to Barbara Turner. She was working tirelessly with him all the time in the gym and doing film study. He was looking so much better as the season went along but this year he has regressed. It’s a shame Ms. Turner is no longer here but it’s crazy no other assistant has been able to help him like she did.

5. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's not even close to being true. KPJ is actually a willing passer, he just sucks at being a PG because his vision and passing is limited. In fact he often times over dribbles and make turnovers because he tries way too hard to make passes.

Since summer league this year JC doesn't even look at his teamates and just chucks the ball whenever he gets it. Silas played him plenty of minutes last year and probably tried to make him a Lowry like player. Instead we get a wannabe Kobe this season that we have to play Nix

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Josh is basically what Josh has always been even since high school. I think they wanted him to be more of a PG/facilitator and defender, but he's always primarily been a transition player that can score and overpower smaller players. So when you see him turn on the afterburners in transition and go into his warp-speed maneuvers where he can't see anybody else at times - I think that's just always who he's been. He just seems like a bench SG more than a great decision-maker, and even as a scorer, he's always had questionable selection. I'm hoping he changes some of that because it's obvious the talent is there.

It kind of sucks because we seem to be asking a lot of dudes who aren't naturally good/great PG's to be good/great PG's. I'm not sure we have a lot of choice on this team right now. Well, maybe TyTy.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jalen and Jabari are our core players isnt it common sense they dont need to earn mins? They are the future of the franchise.

JC isnt getting mins because he sucks. Not sure why you are blaming the coaching when Tyty Wash and Garuba were both able to break into the lineup pretty easily.

topfive and Dobbizzle like this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I have no idea why Matthews gets minutes. We know who he is. Christopher should be getting all of that run.

10. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

While I do agree that KPJ has a longer leash I disagree that it’s because KPJ is “liked” more by Silas. For whatever reason KPJ is being forced upon us as the starting pg for this team. KPJ has shown the coaching staff that he is at least capable of being a pg when motivated. Compounding matters is that we have no alternatives. I think Stone and the front office realize that the only way this experiment works is if you get a Draymond, Snottie Quitten, Giannis, or Jokic type to be the main ball handlers and facilitators and use KPJ off ball.

Jaygup has obviously shown the coaching staff that he is not a pg and his natural role is currently being occupied by Gordon. Christopher is a good kid with great energy that unfortunately has a million brain farts per second. Once Gordon gets moved I can see him getting back into the rotation.

I can see a TyTy, Jaygup rotation thrown out there that has potential. I can also see a world where Green sits at the 6 minute mark of the 1st and Jaygup replacing him at the two playing with KPJ.

Plowman likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hats off to the young bench guys, I haven't heard any big complaints, they take it like vets.

Respect.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Free Josh Christopher.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

14. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

It's insane what Silas did to this kid. It's obviously taking a toll on him mentally if you follow him on IG. For absolutely no reason too. For someone who was billed as a players coach, he has alienated a lot of his players.

arabrocket likes this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You know what element this Rockets team is lacking?

Another 6-4ish guard with tunnel vision

topfive likes this.