1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[2021 NBA Draft; 24th overall] Rockets select Josh Christopher

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 29, 2021.

?

Do you like the selection of Josh Christopher?

1. YES

55.5%
  2. NO

44.5%
  1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"What kind of motor do they have? Do they work on their game?"

THIS. This is what separates a guy from "looking the part" like Wiggins to someone like Giannis who blossomed. MOTOR, COMPETITIVE SPIRIT, DRIVE. These are the intangibles that portend to growth for these unfinished products. The older I get the more I focus on this stuff.

It is also why I was high on Jalen Green because I see THOSE QUALITIES in him.

2. Rockets4Life13

It's also what sold me on Green. It wasn't his flashy dunks that people like to bring up. I see fire and desire to get better.

I don't see that with Mobley for example which is why i didn't want him.

3. vator

vator Contributing Member

Did somebody say fire and desire? Allow me to introduce you to the foremost expert on such matters.

[​IMG]

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I think the right call was made with Green, but I don't get this criticism of Mobley yet. In demeanor, he reminds me of another kid that went to college in LA who had many of the same criticisms (aloof, no passion for the game, too many outside interests, too intellectual, etc.) coming out and then got a lot more folks angry at him for some personal choices like changing his name from Lew to Kareem. You never know how someone will respond and anecdotally, it seems even tougher with gifted bigs. Give it 1-2 years and then we'll be able to clearly see what path Mobley is on.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to a Rockets game for the first time in almost a year. That it is a summer league game is not lost on me though.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think Cade, Green and Mobley will be all stars within 3 years. I'm happy with our choice. Mobley could have worked out for the Rockets.
    He rejected overtures to him. I don't think Green was a done deal until Mobley declined to come to Houston. These things matter a great deal in making a final decision. Stone has shown bigs matter to him a lot.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

JC is a really good ball handler too. In fact that’s considered one of this strengths iirc.

Roxfan4lyfe and saleem like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if he can reach another level of handles he could tear up the league

jcmoon likes this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't get the knocking of these players, either. Especially since a lot of players take a while to mature and also develop/use their skills further. Not to mention a lot of college coaches don't exploit player talent like NBA coaches do. That being said, I think the Mobley/Alcindor comparison is basically on personality alone because in college, Kareem/Lew dominated and was a force of nature -- and everybody knew it. The one knock people had on Mobley was that he didn't dominate like that, so I get that part. That being said, he may tear it up in the pros -- we'll see. I'm excited to see where this class goes in the next 5-10 years.

i3artow i3aller and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I suspect that it has nothing to do with Mobley, but is rather the same tribalism dominates politics. Once you choose your side, you immediately have to tear down the other guy (Mobley) to build up your guy (Green).

Moe, cmlmel77, moonnumack and 4 others like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

The hate towards Mobley became personal.

I never understood why other players had to be torn down to elevate Green.

Thriller did not need that.

clos4life likes this.
  12. Rockets4Life13

Yeah because i complety tore down Mobley by saying that i don’t see a fire within him.:rolleyes:

Mobley fans still going strong on the narrative that Green fans „tear him down“ but it’s just based on overexaggerating what someone said.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  13. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Hope I didn't come off rude! Apparently I might be the one who needs correcting. People are saying his ball-handling is actually very good. Can't wait until tomorrow!

D-rock and saleem like this.
  14. saleem

Not at all. I welcome your comments. I'm excited too.

D-rock likes this.
  15. saleem

He can't do that without a reliable jumper. It's going to take quite a bit of time to get to that level.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

So do you DO admitting to over exaggerating Mobley's faults?

Good for you.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Does this look like someone who doesn't have good handles? Seem pretty legit to me. I am not saying he's Harden, Curry, or Irving, but they look more than solid.

D-rock and Roxfan4lyfe like this.
  18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Josh Christopher Speed, Athleticism, Handles, Lateral Quickness on Defense, Shot Blocking is very Impressive.

3 Point Shooting needs work, I think the G League can help him improve as a Player.

KJ Martin Jr improved so much coming back from the G League. He looked like completely different player. Looking like a Star Player, improved 3 Point Shot, Improved Shooting Form, Higher IQ.
    Shot Blocking 7 Footers.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  19. saleem

JC definitely should work hard in the G-league. KJM's jumper was far weaker than JC's.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

gotta love the weird system...

D-rock likes this.