1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2021] NBA’s 75 Greatest Players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Oct 19, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Voters:
    [​IMG]

plutoblue11 likes this.
  2. opticon

opticon Member

I a lot of basketball minds I respect are on this list.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I disagree, completely. No disrespect to any of those 3, but David Robinson is on another tier from those players. I feel like David is arguably the best defensive player of the four, depends on who you ask. Though, I feel like he is the best defensively. Offensively. Pau and Chris are both pretty skilled and I would say better than David in a few areas. Though, neither one could ever dominant the game offensively, like David Robinson. David was the total package at the time on offense. I think he has gotten more and more overlooked through time, especially after 1995 Playoffs. His athletic ability combined with his shooting ability and ability to recover offensive rebounds was pretty unique.

You could win a championship or two with David as your best player, I'm not quite sure about the other 3.

steddinotayto likes this.
  4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I can be talked out of Rodman, because he was never a franchise player and almost a negative on offense. Though, David Robinson is like a top 6-10 center, very easily. Manu, possibly, but considering Vince, T-Mac, and King were off the list, I'm not sure I'd include Manu.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Agreed. All of the players on this list from the Jordan era (1984-1998) are untouchable and not debatable. Even Rodman.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Dame and Pierce, people think they should not have made the list. Though, I think they both have really great cases.

David Robinson, I think is firmly on the top part of 75. The player, I'm not so sure about is Miller, because I don't feel like he was quite as good T-Mac, King, or Vince. Also, Vince has just as much longevity. I feel like all 3 were much greater players, even on offense than Miller. Manu and Parker, I feel are a step below most of these players, as well. Miller has alot of peak performances in his favor and playing on a pretty good Indiana team. I feel like T-Mac, Vince, and King didn't have the luxury, very often. Miller going against MJ, the Knicks, or even the Magic left alot memories in people's mind. Though, imagine Vince

Dwight, I see him, not making, because I don't think he was quite as dominant as any of the other centers on the list. I can think of a season where I could say he was the best player or 2nd/3rd best. If you ask many people on ClutchFans, or even people who really watched the game, there are people who believe he wasn't even as good as Yao.

Pau and Bosh, I understand as well.

The player who got shafted the most was ... Adrian Dantley.

7. TimDuncanDonaut

:D

I was half joking kinda half serious. Not bringing up cliche ring argument, but Giannis just got the one, whereas Manu and Tony has a lot more. While Giannis is the #1 guy on his team, I need to see more from him to be in the top 75th list. Giannis may get that by the end of his career, but to me he doesn't have enough so far.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  8. steddinotayto

I'm "too young" so I didn't see Dantley play. Dwight was a huge snub because, like you said, there was at least one season where everyone can argue if he was the best player in the league. Same for McGrady, specifically in his Orlando days. He had a legit case with Kobe for greatest player in the league. Dame has yet to have that argument and neither did Pierce. Pierce had a better career arc than TMac for sure but there wasn't a season in Paul's career where someone could make a case and say "Pierce is the best player in the NBA right now".

plutoblue11 likes this.
  9. i3artow i3aller

10. steddinotayto

I don't mind Giannis because not only does he have the hardware and the regular season stats he also has the defining playoff moments. If anything Shaq got voted in 25 years ago with only 4 All-Star appearances, 2 All-NBA 2nd team and 1 3rd team to his name by 1996 so maybe Giannis fills this year's "We expect him to be one of the top 15 players by the time he retires so we'll include him now" category

plutoblue11 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I am not a Spurs fan, but David Robinson in his prime was one of the most dominant players in league history.

Richie_Rich, BigM, BigShasta and 6 others like this.
  12. steddinotayto

I don't get the outcry that Kyrie was snubbed. Like, for one, did you lead any of your teams to the playoffs as the lead dog? Two, was there a season or seasons where you had a legit case as being the best player in the NBA that year? Three, if not, were you elite in one facet of the game for long stretches? He has a legit case to be a Hall of Famer but as a top 75 member? ehhhhhh....

Caesar, GotGame15 and Nook like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

At least Dolph actually played in games and was vaccinated.

Ill go with the guy that actually shows up ready to play.

Also, Kyrie defends at a high school level.... Dolph defended well.

BigShasta and GotGame15 like this.
  14. steddinotayto

Robinson would completely obliterate any big today and was agile, strong, and fast enough to defend these stretch 4s and 5s.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Lots of discussion about Walton being included, what with his short peak and numerous injuries. To bring that full circle with our rookie discussion in GARM, Walton turned in what may be the best first NBA game stat line:

18 points, 24 rebounds, 5 assists and 4 blocks.

16. steddinotayto

I think him leading the Blazers to their only championship also gets him the nod.

GotGame15 and plutoblue11 like this.
  17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Um Anthony Davis made the list? ehhhh....

Happy 'Nique made it after being left out last time around.

18. steddinotayto

This too man. Pierce Dame and AD....you give me a trio of McGrady, Howard, and even a Manu or Gasol vs Pierce, Dame and AD in a three on three game and I already know who would win.

19. i3artow i3aller

20. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

These voters are potato sandwich-eating mfers...

plutoblue11 likes this.