1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021: Best Trade Option

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Jul 29, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Horford as fallback plan makes sense. But Horford should be Option C.

Rather explore sign and trades for Jerami Grant, Serge Ibaka or Kelly Oubre.

And while Horford would be a good short term fit for Rockets, his days of dropping 40 burgers are long gone. Trading EGo requires Rockets get in return a prolific scorer.

Still prefer AG.

Because neither Horford, Jerami, Ibaka or Oubre can create their own shots, nevermind for their teammates.

#41 D-rock, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    s3ts likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Kid is a worker - great intangibles, athleticism, length and skills.

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah I never disagreed with an Al Horford type player in an EG trade though that with him specifically would be very difficult to make salaries match. I said it would be an equally aging overpaid player.

But an Aaron Gordon type I just can’t see happening. I’m not even a fan of his game but he’s 24, EG is 31 and not always healthy. I just don’t see that as a realistic option.

luckyman76 and Nook like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

If you recall you did not see Covington trade as realistic either. And when it went down, you hated it.

Morey will find a way.

And we will all like it.

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I did not hate it. If I did say something along those lines it’s possible it was a knee jerk reaction but I’m pretty sure very early on I accepted the fact that we weren’t winning the championship as currently built so I liked that we switched it up and gambled.

But I definitely did not see it. You’re right there. I did not think we would trade Capela and not bring back a Center. And I was wrong.
    I also said Carmelo would be traded to OKC before there was a single rumour about that and it happened. I was right then.
    I don’t claim to be a source or anything. I’ll be right and I’ll be wrong. Nothing wrong with voicing my opinion.

And yeah I think I would definitely like it if we netted Aaron Gordon for just EG, or EG and House. I may not be a fan of Aaron and I actually really appreciate what EG has brought to Houston, but would accept us moving on from him, especially for a young player.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Aaron Gordon is not very good.

Rudyc281 and Fantasma Negro like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

This is what cant shoot the 3ball looks like.

8. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Horford is such a cerebral player - we haven’t had a big playmaker of his caliber since JSmoove. And he is a much better player than Josh, even at his old age (forgive me for my slander). He sees the floor so well on both ends.

The on court fit makes a lot of sense for both teams but are we really willing to take on additional salary in a post-Covid world?

I understand why we ducked the tax last year - we wanted to time the expiry of CP3s contract with the year that we would hit the repeater tax. We had to duck it this year after acquiring Westbrook, who’s contract is a year longer than CP3. If Tillman is serious about contending and willing to pay the luxury tax up until the repeater tax hits, then maybe he would be amenable to taking on Horford’s contract. I think the on court results would be just fantastic.

9. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Horford is a non starter imo. Tilman isn’t signing off on that contract and Houston would struggle with salary matching anyway. Would have to throw in House and a minimum salary guy on top of Eric. I don’t think you want to give up those two for a 34 year old who has struggled this year.

It’s a shame that Philly overpaid all these guys because if they don’t go deep in the playoffs they are prime for a trade. But moving Tobias or Horford will be very tricky with their salaries.

DeBeards, D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

The issue of Tillman paying is one that we really cannot address. I am skeptical he would as well but it is possible.

As to the second point, the question is why did Horford struggle? Was it all aging, was it a fit issue?

Even while struggling, Horford is a superior player to Gordon......... but is he worth the extra money? There is the buyout option with Horford.

My guess is that Morey would do the deal if ownership was on board.

D-rock and joshuaao like this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Nah, it's not happening

In a dream scenario we would need 75% of $27.5 Million for matching purposes. We need nearly $21 million.

Eric Gordon will have $16.9 million in money owed for next season, putting us approximately $4 million shy in a 1 for 1 situation.

You think Eric Gordon and House for Horford, while adding long term salary is feasible? You are way smarter than that.

Ibaka at $70 - 80 Million for 4 seasons in a SNT for Gordon (close or equal salary to Eric, the salary will be dumped else where) is much more realistic.

Neither are happening.

Gordon + House + more salary + a FRP for an expiring contract like Otto Porter or Gordon + a FRP for a salary dump are what I expect.

Tilman will want to get out of owing this kind of money sooner than later, he will take a hit for a year if it clears salary sooner or he will dump future assets if he saves money now. He'll just take out a predatory loan to afford paying luxury tax for a single season while we become a bottom dweller wasting Harden's prime immediately after. The economy is going to continue to drop and Tilman will drop with it.

He's too stubborn to sell the team, so we are kind of just ****ed. This, in my opinion, will be the highest paid Rockets team for the next decade.

#51 treyk3, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    D-rock, fattz and Nook like this.
  12. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Buyout? He has 3 years left at 75 million. We’ve never seen a buyout like that and I don’t think ever will.

And I agree it’s a bad fit and that probably explains it. But it’s still a risk. And while you might think Horford is better than Gordon, the question is is he better than Gordon + House + min guy. And it should also take into consideration that’s your last ‘move’ other than Tuck and Cov. You can no longer trade a mid tier salary for a better player

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

The last year of Horford's deal isn't fully guaranteed. It is guaranteed for 14-15 million if I remember correctly. So hypothetically if the Rockets were in full rebuild they could save 8-9 million by buying out the last year of his deal.

Yes, I think that Horford is better than Gordon, House and a minimum guy. I would obviously think long and hard before making the move and would have to see film, but we have a really strong need for a player inside like Horford.

The point about no longer being able to trade a mid tear guy is a very valid one. You are right, we would essentially be "locked in".

I don't think it would be the first choice of Daryl Morey, but I can certainly see it being a move he would ultimately make as you and I both know the window is very short with Tucker aging, limited draft picks and Westbrook and Harden no longer young. The Rockets have maybe two years before one of Westbrook/Harden show decline.

Is adding Horford to a full season of Covington and Tucker and Nwaba (if healthy) enough to make the Rockets a top 3-4 defense? Can the Rockets replace Gordon's shooting and offense?

D-rock likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’m expecting a young and upcoming player
    Wasn’t there rumors and smoke about morey trying to trade Lauri Markkanen.

I think morey would want a young big who can do it all.

Markkanen
    Bol Bol
    MPJ
    ??

15. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Ah I thought you meant Philly buying him out.

yeah, we’re already in all in so I don’t think they care about his last year if it’s all in the next two. Probably agreed on that

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Guys, Ibaka.

DeBeards, luckyman76, jch1911 and 3 others like this.
  17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Ibaka would need to take a major pay cut to play for us. Toronto has their own young players to re-sign and are chasing Giannis so I'm not seeing them be interested in a SnT at all. If he did sign with us it would be a major pickup.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

We could of had Bol Bol. He was a 2nd round pick.

Remember the days when Rockets used to purchase 2nd rounders?

I like Markkanen too but he is liability in switch everything defense.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Our flexibility really is garbage after Tilman forced the WB trade so there really is almost no good options for the Rockets.

Gordon+ for Horford really does make a lot of sense, financials aside.

Ibaka would be great, but I see no realistic chance of getting him.

Would like to keep the door open to Durant down the line. Brooklyn is going to be a disaster and he may get nostalgic and feel the need to reunite with WB and JH. .

luckyman76, joshuaao and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That would be crazy

luckyman76 likes this.