1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

I've never been more wrong about a kid than I was about Whitley (maybe Redding). I don't know what happened to him mentally 2-3 years ago but the pre-draft HS kid I knew is not the young man he has been. I'm rooting for him to turn it around, he has all the talent in the world.

chievous minniefield, vince and Nook like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

It just happens sometimes. Martes was considered extremely humble and smart and teachable and his make up was a strength in the low minors …. Then a little success and he changed. We saw it with Redding and Whitley too…. Lets hope it is just immaturity with Whitley, but some of the things he said recently don’t seem to do him any favors.

King1 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Oh I know, it's just extra disappointing to me due to the personal connection, my cousins in Alamo Heights know the family and I've hung out with them/him several times. Before that draft I was all-in on the Stros picking him, and then they did, and I was stoked (so was the family) and expecting greatness.

I got to spend a few innings watching him pitch in HS sitting next to Nolan Ryan, one of the highlights of my baseball life. Nolan was really high on the kid too.

vince, Snake Diggit, crose and 3 others like this.
  4. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

My man's last name is too good to not become the white(er) Mariano Rivera.

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

2021 System Leaders - Position Players

Games played: J.J. Matijevic - 109
    Plate appearances: Joe Perez - 475
    Runs scored: Shay Whitcomb - 81
    Hits: C.J. Hinojosa - 131
    Doubles: Hinojosa - 35
    Triples: Justin Dirden - 6
    Home runs: Enmanuel Valdez - 26
    RBI: Valdez - 90; Whitcomb finished 2nd with 78.
    Stolen bases: Whitcomb and Roilan Machandy - 30; Machandy stole 30 in 46 games.
    Times caught stealing: Wilyer Abreu - 11 (10 SB)
    Walks: Mike Papierski - 64
    Strikeouts: Matijevic - 135
    Batting average (full-season players who qualified for their league's batting title): Jose Siri - .318
    Batting average (complex-league players who qualified for either the FCL or DSL batting titles): Luis Encarnacion - .320; Luis Perez hit .345 in 140 plate appearances
    On-base percentage (full-season): Marty Costes - .419; yeah, I'll go with him even though he played at two levels.
    On-base percentage (complex): Encarnacion and Leosdany Molina - .401; Machandy had a .400 OBP in the FCL.
    Slugging percentage (full-season players): Siri - .552
    Slugging percentage (complex): Encarnacion - .426
    OPS (full-season): Siri - .934
    OPS (complex): Encarnacion - .827

Snake Diggit and Bregatron like this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There are 30 prospects I would have predicted would lead the system in HR before I would have guessed Enmanuel Valdez. Good for him.

Htown Legend, Nook and BlindHog like this.
  8. vince

vince Member

I am still hoping that Whitley can figure it out. He’s still young, but it does appear the organization is ready to move on from him, if he stays stuck in suck-ville.

With the natural talent the young man has, it’s not impossible to rebound, but it is looking less and less probable. Nonetheless, since he is still on the Astros organization, I’m still looking at him as a potential #3 or # 4 starter (but even i’ll admit, those are my rose colored glasses typing there).

9. HeyBudLetsParty

think Archie Bradley or Kendall Graveman type role out of the bullpen could be best for him to salvage a good MLB career. If he can just zone in for 1 inning that arm is too good not to use.

Astrodome and vince like this.
  10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I recalculate prospects values twice a year and have reduced my estimation of Forests value several times but his ceiling remains very high. His floor has gotten quite low and that accounts for his reduced value but the ceiling is still achievable. I do view this coming season as the limit of the patience the Astros can show him before they have to move on.

11. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

To be fair, I'm not sure how his value dropped from the beginning of the season. He went from out with Tommy John to out with Tommy John.

I knew something went horribly wrong when he got busted for weed, then PEDs, then Tommy John after no MiLB season. If I had to guess whether he overcomes being a headcase and makes it to the majors ala Grenkie (not saying Zack is a degenerate like Forrest, but clearly had/has problems dealing with pro ball), or utterly flames out ala Francis Martes, I'd bet on the latter.

I want to believe, I was hyped AF when he demolished AA at 19, thought he was going to be the ace of the staff once JV and Grenkie were gone. He could very well come back in 2022 and be a September callup or make the team outright out of Spring Training. I could also see him get dumped to someone else in a trade for an ace pitcher mid-season.

There is nobody who has more to play for in 2022 than Forrest Whitley, very interesting follow.

Htown Legend and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Next years Minor league active player limits are 28 for double and triple A, and 30 for A and high A. Complex ball is unlimited.
    Anybody know if there will be a limit on inactive players?

13. Rockets34Legend

14. Rockets34Legend

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

5 international arms from Asheville’s season ending roster that are underrated: Robaina, Jimenez, Tamarez, Taveras, and De Paula. I would predict at least one of those guys will break out in AA next season. All are young and have filthy stuff. Tamarez and Taveras are legit Rule 5 risks.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Kessinger with a good game in AFL.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tamarez has one more year before Rule 5? If he is Rule 5 eligible this year, he will be put on 40-man.

prospecthugger and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

As usual you are right and I am wrong. Not sure why I thought he was eligible this year. He didn’t sign until 3/2019 at 19 so by that he wouldn’t be eligible until 2023 but roster resource/fangraphs has him eligible in 2022. Either way he’s not eligible this year. Nice that Houston doesn’t have to protect him yet.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Anybody who had “Siri Astros starting CF in Game 5 of the ALCS” can claim their prize at the booth.

That’s why paying attention to these afterthought signings can be fun.

awc713 likes this.
  20. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Crazy 2020 for Siri. Designated for assignment by the Reds. Claimed on waivers by the Mariners soon after. Claimed by Giants off waivers. Eventually designated for assignment by them. Becomes free agent and signs a minor league deal with the Astros.

rockbox and Snake Diggit like this.