1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I wonder if Click thinks the new CBA will change free agency to be based on age instead of service time, and if that thinking might influence him to be more aggressive with promoted these guys. If Lee/Pena/Leon are going to be free agents at 28 or 29 regardless of when they get called up, it makes a lot more sense to get them up as soon as they’re reasonably ready to help win mlb games.

Htown Legend likes this.
  2. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

LOL minor league free agent signing about to come up and be a lockdown RP

Movin Nova to the 60 day is odd since it starts his clock. Overall I suppose it’s a good sign since it means they still think highly enough of him not to expose him to waivers.

#1763 Snake Diggit, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Htown Legend likes this.
  4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

5. prospecthugger

The wrist must feel better.

Htown Legend likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Juan Santander…. Watch him closely… the same people in the organization that talked about Pena and McCormick and Valdez being productive one day, really like him.
    His wrists are clearly faster than ore injury… it’s really amazing what he has done and what the coaches saw in him.

Htown Legend and Snake Diggit like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Astros catcher prospect Korey Lee to finish season in Triple A, then play in the Arizona Fall League
    https://theathletic.com/2838586/202...riple-a-then-play-in-the-arizona-fall-league/

“(Reaching Triple A this year) was always in the back of my mind,” Lee said Monday before going 1-for-4 with two strikeouts at Constellation Field. “I always wanted to be here. This is where I wanted to play. Obviously, the end goal is to be in the show. But right now this is where we’re at. I took a month off, had an injury and then this is just giving me some more playing time. Can’t really complain about that.”

Lee, the 32nd pick in the 2019 draft out of Cal, had a .798 OPS in 324 plate appearances between High A and Double A, including a .763 OPS in 203 plate appearances in Double A. With Sugar Land, he will share time with Michael Papierski, Drew Butera and Garrett Stubbs, who’s currently on the major-league road trip as part of the taxi squad. It’s expected that all four will make some starts in the field (Lee, Papierski and Butera at first base, Stubbs at second base or left field) to get at-bats when not catching.

After the Triple-A season ends Oct. 3, Lee will head west to play in the Arizona Fall League, he said Monday. The prospect-laden AFL, which was canceled last year because of the pandemic, is scheduled to begin Oct. 13 and run for a little more than a month.

“I’m excited. Another month of baseball,” said Lee, who’s from the San Diego area. “Get to go out to Arizona, kind of semi-like home, being back on the West Coast a little bit. It’s going to be a nice experience to go out there and play some more.”

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

We may never see a deeper position group in Houston’s farm than what they have at catcher right now.

AAA: Lee is a top 100 prospect and 1st Round pick who had a breakout season. Papierski posted a .395 OBP. Stubbs posted a 111 wRC+.

AA: Berryhill 159 wRC+ this season. Manea posted a 137 wRC+. Salazar 117 wRC+..

High A: Diaz posted a 160 wRC+.

A: Miguel Palma posted a 141 wRC+.

DSL: Luis Encarnacion posted 138 wRC+.

That’s 9 guys who had great seasons, and it ignores several high upside prospects who didn’t post big numbers: Nathan Perry, Juan Santander, Jose Alvarez, Nerio Rodriguez, CJ Stubbs. We may look back and there will have been 10+ catchers in this season end up reaching the major leagues.

vince, IowaAstro, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  9. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Honestly pretty crazy how quickly that position went from an area of dire need to an area of strength in just a couple of years. Will be interesting to see how much more these guys can develop because as we know, top catching prospects are very valuable trade chips.

If we can have a few of those, man that would be nice

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Projected opening day 2022 Astros system rosters:

MLB:
    C: Maldonado, Castro
    IF: Gurriel, Altuve, TBD (Baez), Bregman, A Diaz, Jones
    OF: Tucker, Meyers, Brantley, Alvarez, McCormick
    SP: TBD (Verlander), McCullers, Valdez, L Garcia, Urquidy, Odorizzi
    RP: James, Javier, Baez, Stanek, Maton, TBD (McHugh), Pressly
    IL: Whitley, Solis
    Free Agents: Correa, Greinke, Verlander, Raley, Graveman, Marwin, Y Garcia
    Non-tendered: Montero
    DFA/Traded: G Stubbs, Emanuel, Scrubb, Paredes, S Martinez
    Optioned: Whitley, Solis, Dubin, Solomon, B Abreu, Ivey, Bielak, Taylor, Pena, Siri, Papierski, Y Diaz, J Perez, Nova

AAA:
    C: K Lee, Papierski, Manea
    IF: Leon, Pena, Sierra, Hinojosa, N Gonzalez
    OF: Siri, Dawson, Matijevic, Costes, Julks
    SP: H Brown, Dubin, Solomon, B Abreu, Ivey, Bielak, Bermudez, Conine, France
    RP: N Hernandez, Torres, Taylor, Blanco
    IL: Whitley, Solis, Hansen
    Extra position players: Shaver, De Goti, Wielansky, A Lee, Taylor, R Garcia, Wilson
    Extra pitchers: Mushinski, Donato, Ferrell, McKee, Kelly, Riggs, Olczak, Scheetz, Record, Lawson

AA:
    C: Y Diaz, Berryhill, Salazar
    IF: Valdez, Kessinger, J Perez, Whitcomb, Hensley
    OF: Barefoot, McKenna, Adolph, Schreiber, W Abreu
    SP: T Brown, Melendez, Macuare, Endersby, Deason, Daniels, Ruppenthal, Moclair
    RP: Peck, Conn, Tejada, Horrell, Sprinkle
    Extra position players: Holderbach, Arias, R Rodriguez
    Extra pitchers: Bravo, Serrano, Freure, Collado, DeJuneas, Cobos, Benedetti, Casey, Cabral, McDonald, Cody, JP Lopez, L Rodriguez, Henderson

High A:
    C: Perry, N Rodriguez, CJ Stubbs
    IF: L Santana, Carrasco, Nova, Correa, Cueta
    OF: Guerrero, Daniels, Barber, Dirden, Orr
    SP: Jimenez, Robaina, Tamarez, Taveras, De Paula, Rivera, Gusto, Henley
    RP: Jaquez, West, Gruller, Holcomb, Gomez
    Extra position players: Hurtado, Urdaneta, Y Ramirez
    Extra pitchers: F Garcia, Ceballos, Plumlee, Barry, Gayle, Hiraldo, Meszaros, Mezquita, Reina, Mejias

A:
    C: Palma, Alvarez
    IF: Kato, C Gonzalez, Y Martinez, Stevens, Williams, Wagner, Mascai
    OF: Brewer, Loperfido, Hamilton, Sandle
    P: Santos, McDermott, Arrighetti, Betances, E Rodriguez, Tokar, Vega, Calderon, E Garcia, A Brown, Kouba, Bellozo, M Ramirez
    Extra position players: Giron, Corona
    Extra pitchers: Matthews, Chaidez, Palmer, Schroeder, DeLabio, Salgado, Brockhouse, Ford, Gaither, R Garcia, Solano, J Lopez, B Perez, Dickey, F Gonzalez,Bojorquez

Extended Spring Training:
    C: Guilamo, Santander, Toro, Encarnacion, Arcila, Toro
    IF: Molina, Lorenzo, Nieves, Balogh, Cruz, Espinosa, del Rosario, J Mendoza
    OF: R Gonzalez, Whitaker, Machandy, T Ramirez, C Morales, L Perez, Hallmark, F Perez, Rivas
    P: Swanson, Hunt, Foggo, Carrillo, Nodal, Batista, Martich, Guzman, J Ramirez, Pereira, R Leon, R Beltre, Santa, Molero, Miley, Gordon

#1770 Snake Diggit, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  11. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Is that Javy Baez you have on the big league club? Interesting.. I think i'd prefer a cheaper, stop-gap type like Semien.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I expect Semien to sign for much more than Baez. My total guess in this hypothetical is that Baez finds a cold market and signs with Houston on a 1 year deal to re-establish his value.

13. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Semien has obviously had an amazing season and been much more valuable than Baez, but he's also 3 years older.

You could be right though, simply based on offseason shortstop demand. Once Correa, Story, Seager and Semien all sign the number of teams left willing to spend a considerable amount on a shortstop will be small.

King1 likes this.
  14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Thing I just found out:

Roilan Machandy and Shay Whitcomb both lead the system with 30 stolen bases. Machandy got his in 46 FCL games.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

17. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Jeremy Pena is a top 100 prospect in my eyes. I don’t care about any lists.

IowaAstro, everyday eddie and King1 like this.
  18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Think he's top 50 if he's healthy

IowaAstro and Buck Turgidson like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Ehhh...Top 62

cmlmel77 and King1 like this.
  20. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Fair enough

Buck Turgidson likes this.