1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 7, 2020.

1. raining threes

I'm just hoping Click can find a couple of guys that have the potential that Santos has, again this yr. I'm amazed that the org hasn't been hurt more severely due to the draft pick loss. I guess spending on Leon and the other Cuban dude, plus Santos looks like a real prospect to me so that helped offset the draft pick loss. Good job in acquiring talent for the farm so far Click.

The only prospect I thought was a big reach was Daniels. I dont really care for low contact toolsy type guys. But hey, what do I know.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Click’s returns on his 4 player draft are pretty bad so far. Daniels and Ty Brown have been absolutely horrible. Whitcomb should have dominated A ball given his profile and he’s just been slightly above average. Santos has gotten a ton of hype but he’s thrown less than 10 innings.

Not that those early results should serve to draw any conclusions. I’m still very optimistic about Click’s draft prowess.

No Worries and raining threes like this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The 2020 MLB draft is going to have a huge asterisks by it, due to CV-19 and few drafts rounds.

The 2021 MLB draft should be deep for a normal draft.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

This is Joe Perez's first AA homer and 11th on the season.

5. HeyBudLetsParty

I don’t know too much about swings but his looks funky and long, wonder if this will cause contact issues as he moves up. Anyone with better technical swing analysis chime in

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Jake Meyers continuing to mash

2-3, HR, 4 RBI tonight and only in the 7th

7. Buck Turgidson

His hand setup and bat waggle is his own thing, but then he settles in and gets everything back and in before the pitch is delivered...he has a very quiet plant and load (look at his feet and hips as the pitcher is delivering the ball and as he starts his swing)...that pitch he drilled above was on the outer half so he got his arms extended well (would love to see what he does with inside pitches)...he's got a good bit of uppercut in his swing it looks like, hip rotation is all there, and his follow through looks a ton like Bregman's. I can totally see where the power comes from.

All of this is with the major caveat that I have not seen him at the plate much at all outside of highlights.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

J.P. France pitched well in AAA

5.0 IP, 3H, 1ER, 1BB, 10K, 1HR

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Enmanuel Valdez (16) and Matthew Barefoot (13) have both homered for Asheville. Although he's listed as the catcher in GameCast, Valdez is probably not there considering that Alex Holderbach is also in the lineup.

Jaime Melendez walked two and struck out six over three scoreless (50 pitches) to start the ballgame.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. HTown2017Champs

Justin Dirden continuing to do damage in Fayetteville today. So far, he's 2-3- a single and a 2 RBI triple plus a run scored. Wonder when we might see him promoted to Asheville? I was excited when he was signed last year as a UDFA.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Melendez is making the case that he’s one of Houston’s top 5 pitching prospects. Teenager pitchers who can succeed in High A have a really good track record. With a good end to the season he will put himself on a hype train entering 2022 likely slotted for AA as a 20 year old.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Shay Whitcomb, who's been scuffling since moving west from Fayetteville to Asheville, hit his first homer for the Tourists. He has 8 this year.

Snake Diggit and raining threes like this.
  14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Luke Berryhill (7) and Sean Mendoza (3) went deep for Fayetteville in their 14-8 win over Down East.

Berryhill looks like he'll try to take the Colton Shaver/Scott Schrieber/et al. route as a large man who hits the ball 450 feet in the minors.

Mendoza, who was a July 2 IFA out of Venezuela in 2016, had not hit a home run before this season.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Leon struck out in his only at bat in the futures game.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Victor Mascai hit two homers down in the FCL today.

Random: his middle name is Hugo. Do what you will with that information

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Another strong outing from Elian Rodriguez down in the FCL...

4 IP, H, 2 BB, 9 K

Cristian Gonzalez also homered for the second day in a row for the Palm Beach Stros.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

At the hooks game. Lee looks good behind the plate. Good arm. Just gunned someone out at second.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Leon base hit to left and then stole second base first pitch.

edit... and third on the next pitch.

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Luke Berryhill has two homers (9) for Fayetteville tonight.

Nice night for Tyler Brown as he allowed a run on a solo homer, three other hits, and struck out seven in six innings of work for Asheville. Shay Whitcomb has two homers for the Tourists, giving him 10 on the season.

Snake Diggit likes this.